Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/158/150

Height: 5"5

Default Healthy Eating at Applebees?

After getting back on track with weight loss after the new year, I am eating at Applebees for the first time tonight and would love some suggestions for healthy and low-calorie choices. I don't eat seafood and I know there is a chicken dish on the WW part of the menu. How about the salads? I was thinking of the Asian salad with grilled chicken. Any idea of how many calories that is?
TMG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

well I just checked their site and it looks like the weight watcher menu has gone the way of the dodo...? That sucks. I loved their low fat choices.

you should find something you want there and see the nutritional info at www.thedailyplate.com
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Sorry to be a downer, but I don't trust restaurants! I have always felt this way but recently read an article citing several chain restaurants they had actually tested. Calories were way over what was posted on menus on everything tested!

When I eat out I usually get dry salad and bring my own dressing. I will also ordered grilled chicken with nothing on it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Applebees still has WW selections on their menu where I live--you can find them on the website by clicking on a food group. For example, click on Chicken and you'll find Garlic Herb Chicken at 7 WW points.

The grilled Chili-Lime Chicken Salad is good, too, at 5 WW points. And the Italian Chicken & Portobello Sandwich at 7 points.

On the menu they also list the calories and the fat grams, I think. Usually they put the dressing on the side on the salads, but be sure to ask.

I know it's not exact, but it's close enough for me. I always like the WW selections, and it hasn't hurt my weight loss to choose them.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

I usually order grilled salmon or chicken at those chain restaurants, and do the best I can with their sides. Sometimes the veggies are already buttered and nothing you can do about it...ugh. Baked potatoes are a good bet if you ask for the butter and sour cream on the side.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #6  
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

S/C/G: 198.5/191/168

Height: 5'2

They also have a 9.99 steak special going. I ordered a steak with a double order of steamed veggies the last time I went....sooo good
sarahnotsega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/158/150

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnotsega View Post
They also have a 9.99 steak special going. I ordered a steak with a double order of steamed veggies the last time I went....sooo good
I like this idea - I'll have to remember it for next time. I ended up getting the Asian grilled chicken salad. I asked for the dressing on the side. I got a nice portion of lettuce with grilled chicken slices on top. There were also sliced almonds and those crispy oriental noodles. I put about 2 tbsp of the sweet & sour dressing on the salad and let most of the almonds and noodles fall to the bottom of the plate. I ate all of the lettuce and chicken and a few almonds and noodles. I think it was a good choice calorie-wise since I felt like it tasted better than the grilled chicken with steamed veggies that was the other option.

Regarding the WW menu, it is no longer a separate part of the menu but they still have 4-5 WW labeled dishes throughout the regular menu. There was a grilled chicken in the chicken section, a fish in the seafood section, a chicken and mushroom sandwich in the sandwiches section, etc. So the meals are still there but just within the regular menu now.
TMG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote