Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #1  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Default I have a few questions

For the weight training enthusiasts around here.

1. Do you know how many calories you eat per day? If yes, how many?
2. Are you losing, maintaining or gaining on those?
3. How much cardio do you do each week in addition to weight training?

I think that's it for now. Thanks.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I've stopped counting calories in the last week but am eating the same things I was when I used the daily plate so I'm guessing 1500-1800 per day. I'm still losing weight but its slowed down but I continue to lose inches. I've lost about a dress size in the last month since I started lifting more consistently.

I do a lot of running currently 35-50 miles per week, 2 step classes weekly, I lift about 3 times a week with a day of rest in between typically 45 min each time and 1-2 rest days weekly. I double up on my work outs running in the morning, lifting and step at night.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-26-2009 at 03:32 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #3  
=D

1. On average 1500. Sometimes 1350. Sometimes 1750.
2. Losing.
3. I do a lot of cardio - because I love cycling outdoors. Mountain biking especially. Usually say at least 5 hour per week but sometimes I burn as much as 3000 calories in a week fom pure cycling and some running.
- I do weights generally 2-3 times a week on non consecutive days.

Also, staight after any intense training session I have a glucose pack - 27 grams of carbs (108 calories) - to replenish my glycogen stores. If I don't do this or something similar, i'm ravenous for the rest of the day.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

1. I have no idea how many calories I eat per day. I try to eat very healthy and clean; there are days when I am more hungry and eat more; and then there are days when I eat less because I feel fine.

2. Losing. Albeit very slowly, but losing. I am not in a rush.

3. I do three cardio sessions a week (a fast paced Zumba class 3x a week. Two 1 hr classes and one 45 minute class). In addition to that I lift weights 3 times a week.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

thanks ladies
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

1. I'm eating 1300 to 1500 per day.
2. Losing. Slowly, but losing.
3. My normal routine is to weight train three days a week; do one hour of cardio (including 30 min of intervals) two days a week; swim for 75 min one day a week (which is a pretty light workout for me--I'm not really pushing myself on this day); and take a circuit training class that my trainer teaches one day a week that is a combination of lighter weights (10 to 12 lbs), cardio, and plyometrics. Right now I'm nursing some overuse injuries, so I'm only doing cardio one day a week with no intervals (I usually take a spin class instead) and taking one day off from exercise altogether.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

1. Do you know how many calories you eat per day? If yes, how many?

Yes, I track on fitday.com and eat between hmm....probably 1100 to 1500, some days a little higher, some days a little lower. Lately though, I have been sticking closer to the 1500.

2. Are you losing, maintaining or gaining on those?

I am some place between losing and maintaining. I gained 4lbs over the holidays and lost that the first week in January. Since then, I have been playing with the same 3 lbs it seems, goes on - comes off - goes on - comes off. I think it is time for me to lower my calories a bit, and was just looking at that last night. The range I found last night was 1184 - 1432. I have about 10 - 15 lbs left to remove, and am not incredibly motivated to be super stringent with food control right now, which I am sure is responsible for the waffling 3 lbs.

3. How much cardio do you do each week in addition to weight training?

I confess - I can't stand cardio! The only time I ever enjoyed it was when I was around 118 lbs, looked totally anorexic, was slightly ripped and had abs definition showing. I looked very sick, and used to run on the treadmill probably 3x/wk. These days, I am bartending and waitressing, so walk about 25 hours a week and figure that is okay for cardio for now. The odd time, if I feel the need to rev up a bit, I may do 10 minutes bicycling at the gym. Come better weather, I will start riding my bicycle to work once more and doing the odd bit of roller blading.
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #8  
FB

Hey, I seldom post in this area although I LOVE weights dearly. I feel like I'm crashing the party!

1. I eat between 1600-2100 calories currently. I track every bite on The Daily Plate. I recently upped my calorie level starting January 1st (from about 1400-1600).

2. I'm still losing at this time, although it's no longer the main focus. I'm about at goal weight, whatever that is - probably within 5-10 pounds. I average about a pound per week, although it's not lost weekly but rather in bursts.

3. I do cardio for 20 minutes after my 5x weekly weights. The other 2 days (weekend) I do something light, fun and active for at least an hour with my son, sometimes my big ol' hubby. Swimming, bike riding, walks - ect.

During the hardcore stage of my weight loss I did full body workouts 2-3x per week, with 60 minutes cardio in a separate session 7x per week. I also cycled a lot when the weather was nice. I gradually began to focus on weights and started splitting the routine as they appealed to me more and more, cutting out the tortuous cardio.

Once it's nicer out I'll cut gym cardio entirely for cycling.

Shew.

Last edited by FB; 02-01-2009 at 06:05 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote