Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245 / 185 / 130

Height: 5' 6"

Default Meal Replacement and/or protein shake - low in sugar / no corn syrup?

Hi,

I debated between posting this here in the food section, or in the "diet plan" section. I am really looking for the food items though, not a prescribed plan.

What protein shake / meal replacement / workout recovery shake do you recommend? I am looking for something relatively low in sugar (ok, so I don't want sugar in any form in the top 4 ingredients!) low sodium, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Hopefully under $2-3 a shake would be great (it is, after all, a meal replacement).

The ingredients in Slim Fast make me want to avoid that route, and ideally I'd like to be able to buy locally instead of pay for shipping & handling. I live in Seattle.

Thanks in advance!
losingitandlosingitwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #2  
No description available.

I use Max Muscle High 5.

I don't know if there is a max muscle in Seattle though.

The ingredianets for the cappucino flavor are:

a blend of whey protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, egg white albumen, potassium caseinate, when protein isolate; glycine, cocoa, xanthan gum, caffeine (!), gum acacia, maltodextrin, natural & artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose.

Sounds like a chem set!

The nutrition profile is 118 calories per serving (9 calories from fat)

total fat 1 gram
saturated fat 1 gram
cholesterol 28 mg
sodium 72 mg
potassium 500 mg
total carbs 2 gm (1 gm from sugar)
protein 26 gms
caffeine 75 mg

The cost at the store I go to is $65 for a 3 lb tub and there are 43 servings per container, so with my math I get $1.51 per serving. (I get a discount at my Max Muscle and you might see if yours has a discount program of some kind---I don't pay $65).
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245 / 185 / 130

Height: 5' 6"

Thank you! I will check that out. You're right, it totally sounds like a chemistry set. Oh well, that's why it's a supplement, not the sole source of my nutrients!
losingitandlosingitwell is offline   Reply With Quote