Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #1  

Default Unhealthy Thinking Again

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if any of those that have lost a lot of weight came across this during their journey. I have lost about 60lbs 'till now, but lately I've noticed that I'm starting to lean towards the old habits again. What I mean by that is for example when eating spaghetti, the amount I eat and count is no longer enough for me. A few months ago, I used to eat whatever it was and feel full, and not desire any more food. Recently, whenever I'd eat something, 30minutes later I'd feel like the need to eat again, to the point where I'm finished all my portions for my food at about 3 pm daily. This is concerning me, because I'm worried that in the long run I'm not going to be able to resist these temptations (of eating more than i should in regards of portion) anymore, and my resistance will finally break were I'll end up eating more than usual and go back to the large quantities of portions that i used to eat before starting the LAWL program. I am asking u for help because obviously my COD closed, and I really would like to change the approach of my thinking towards food because I know I'm not hungry, but my mind just wants more. What should I do in this case, to kind of curb this hunger, and get used to smaller portions. I know that I'm supposed to think about the new me and the healthier lifestyle, and i constantly do and i love the way my body is now and the energy and everything, but the temptation is growing more and more to increase portions and eat the forbidden things.

Just some extra info: I'm currently on plan 4, without lites. I weigh 196lbs. Male.
Sammy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

One thing I notice is when I'm bored- I tend to eat more- could that be your problem? That you really aren't hungry? But that you are bored? Maybe try looking into some activities that will keep you busy and put food off your mind?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #3  

I really think that is maybe a part of the problem. Also a lot of times im at home studying (University student), so food is only a few steps away from my room. Thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Boredome is EVIL I tell you- I mean I've started playing video games and doing things that I need both my hands to do to keep myself away from the food!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 137.5/137.5/125

Height: 5'4''

Sammy08-- I go back to old eating habits over the summer when I am not as busy. I get bored and I wander into the kitchen looking for something to do. These are the times when I don't find anything satisfying, so I keep going back into the kitchen for more. Once I have cheated, then I tend to stay off plan for the rest of the day and have a hard time getting back on.

I have found the thing that works for me is to try and stay busy. When I get that feeling, but I am not really hungry, I drink water, go for a walk, go to they gym, run errands... I try to get myself out of the house if at all possible, so I am not tempted to go into the kitchen.

Summers are the hardest for me, but I did awesome this year. I took long walks every afternoon, so that I was not sitting at home getting bored. Not only did it keep me from going into the kitchen, but I was exercising too!

I hope this helps!
Heather5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #6  

Heather - I'm so glad you said that, cuz at least i know that other people have been gone through the same thing. I'm the same thing in terms of if I'm off plan, its hard to get back on for the rest of the day, but I just hate how I have the obsession with food that isn't going away after 6 months on plan, and that I have the old way of thinking about food still in my head. But I guess keeping busy seems to be answer since its a mental thing and my body isn't really hungry. Thanks a lot for your advice
Old 01-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Sammy...

You've got a couple things working against you.. One, you've already lost a LOT of weight and two, your COD closed.

When you lose a lot of weight and people are noticing and you feel really good about yourself, your brain starts telling your body that "enough is enough".. You've done a great job and now it's time to stop worrying about losing more.

Also, the COD being closed has removed your in-person accountability. No matter what we think about the business practices of the business, weighing in a couple times a week helped keep us on track.. Without it there, the incentive to remain strictly on plan is removed..

To combat this, reevaluate your current menu choices.. Are you giving yourself enough variety, or have you gotten in the chicken salad rut? Spice up your cooking and throw your body some curves (figuratively speaking, of course)... Go to subway once in a while and get yourself a sandwich (without the cheese and mayo, of course)..

The point is to give your body what it craves without giving into the temptations of empty calories, fat and carbs...

Another thought is to post here more often when you're feeling the urge to diviate.. We hold each other accountible..

Good luck!!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4

OMG I went through about 3 weeks of the same... My LA store closed and I still lost a few pounds then started to slip, I was lazy about going to the gym and started eating more. But I then forced myself back on track and it was not easy, my body did not want to start back at it... But I have regained my focus...It was like I was trying to sabotage my efforts, but I am back on track.
nettie134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #9  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 173.5/ 156.6 /145

Height: 5'4"

Default Cod

What does COD stand for?
luv2clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2clog View Post
What does COD stand for?
Found this on another thread

COD=center of doom (your LAWL Center)
TOM=time of month
TO=takeoff
POP=perfect on plan
DH=dear husband (can also be DF (fiance) and various other family members)

Last edited by LadyZaidi; 01-26-2009 at 08:16 AM.
LadyZaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Sammy, You are not alone at all. It is totally normal to have a let down when you get down to a weight that is comfortable and healthy for you. In fact most people who were cheering you on to lose, are likely now inviting you to come and eat. Somehow lots of people expect there to be an "over" to a weight loss plan, but the truth is that a permanent weight loss is a committment to always do better than you were.

I find that when I'm really struggling to keep the portions under control, doing a TO is helpful. It kind of resets the portion expectations of my stomach and my eyes. Sure it is not the most fun thing to do, but it is only 2 days, and I only do it once every few months or so... Plus it makes me grateful for the food that I do get. It seems like so much more after a few days of take off.

Another thing I find helpful is to focus on trying to eat "cleaner" less processed and less high carb. Often when my appetite is going crazy, there are refined carbs involved.

Also, they say that almost all the people who long term manage to keep their weight down exercise quite a bit. So focus on trying to become a regular exerciser if you are not already. If I am looking at the milk shake and then realize how much time it would take me to burn it off, I generally decide to order the ice tea... as it just doesn't seem worth the effort most of the time (there are those days).

Lastly, give yourself a treat that is not food related. Take a break from your studies for more than just food. If the only time you allow yourself any relaxation or fun is when you eat, of course you are going to want to eat all the time! Who wouldn't.

Last edited by BarbaraB; 01-26-2009 at 06:45 PM.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote