Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #1  

Default Biggest Loser Diet?

I know I've seen information about the Biggest Loser diet plan on here at some point, but I can't seem to find a section or even a post on it now.

Can someone give me the basics of the diet?

How are they losing such huge amounts of weight each week? Is it the extreme amounts of exercising they're doing, or something special about the diet? (I know the exercise plays in, but they exercised a lot the first few seasons without losing that much weight.)

My story: I have a job interview on Monday, and I have got to lose weight in the next three days to fit into the pants of my interviewing suit. Help!
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

I dont know the biggest loser diet but I do know they lose so much weight on the show because they work out 8 hours a day! Which they tell people that is not normal and dont do it. They make it look easy on the show with big number losses but they work out all day everyday!
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 231/223/160

Height: 5 ft 1 in

There's a Biggest Loser meal delivery where you can have meals delivered to your door. Is that it?
cheeseheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/biggest-loser-diet

Hope that helps!
redreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

There is also a book, "The Biggest Loser Diet," that you can buy in most grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etc., and all their cookbooks outline the meal plan. It is a very low calorie diet that features healthy low glycemic eating and combined with the exercise does get results and the people on the show are closely monitored by health professionals. There's really nothing wrong, IMO, in using a plan like that if monitored by one's doctor, but it's a little extreme for a long term weight loss and maintenance outside of a monitored environment, again IMO.

The BL diet isn't going to do much of anything in three days, though. It's not really realistic to expect a real weight loss in three days no matter what you do, although yes you can do fruit flushes and the like and drop water, which will come right back on after such a diet is over.

Good luck on your job interview. Maybe it's best to just eat a reasonable, healthy diet for the days leading up to it and carefully choose your wardrobe to make you feel confident, remembering that they probably aren't interested in whether you weigh a few pounds more or less, but in rather you are a fit for their company and are the best candidate to do the job they want done.

Just a thought.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #6  
Math Tutor Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 330/309/150

Height: 5'9"

It's important to remember that each "week" on Biggest Loser can be anywhere from 10 - 14 days in real time.
BelovedImzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #7  

Thanks for the link, redreine. That's what I was asking for, just a basic summary of the diet plan. For anyone else who's interested, it's:

"The 4-3-2-1 Biggest Loser Pyramid sets the stage for number of servings from each of the food groups:

4 servings of fruits and vegetables
3 servings of protein -- lean, vegetarian, or low-fat dairy
2 servings of whole grains
1 extra of fats, oils, sweets, alcohol, or your choice, equivalent to 200 calories "

and somewhere else in the article it mentions calorie counts of 1200, 1500 or 1800.

BelovedImzadi, I'm puzzled by your comment about how each week on Biggest Loser is 10-14 days real time. Is that true? I really thought each was really a week?

As it happens, although I'd like to exercise all day long, I can't manage it, and I also can't follow even the simple plan above. I will be trying to stay close to it, though, for at least the next few days. To those who posted objections and cautions, hey, the Biggest Loser plan is better than a 3-day crash diet.

I'm hoping I'll manage to continue on dieting. I have my own diet plan that I follow. It's close, actually, though I include 5-6 servings of vegetables and fruits and specify 2 of dairy. And my exercise plan is for moderate sustained exercise, not grueling workouts. I don't expect to lose at the Biggest Loser rate, but I do want a jump start and I do want to lose faster than the usual recommendation of a pound a week.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

I listen to Jillian Michael's podcasts on the internet and she said in one of her mot recent ones that she puts her ladies on 1200 calories and her men on 1600.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Siena,

I've read a couple places that a biggest loser week isn't really a week and could be 2-3 weeks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Siena,

I've read a couple places that a biggest loser week isn't really a week and could be 2-3 weeks.
I've heard that as well.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote