Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Default FIBER--let's flush the pounds away!

Disclaimer: sure this really should be posted in the Foods section, but I was on here for 3 weeks before I ventured out of the 100 lb club area.....so this is where I am posting it!

Are you getting enough fiber in your diet? I know I am not. And I am certainly not going to buy a colon cleanser that promises to clean out 20-30 pounds of built up toxins.......seriously folks! Quick story.... I have a co-worker who fell for that, and the company even guarenteed their product. If you dont like it in 15 days you can return it, no strings! So she got it, gave her CC# for them to charge after 15 days if she liked it. She went to return it after 12 days, no one would answer the phone. She finally got ahold of them on the 16th day, of course the charge had already gone through. They told her they would refund the money, it took 45 days, and the charged the account the next TWO months.............now 90 days out she is finally done dealing with them, and finally has her money back.

WOW that was a long QUICK story!

Anywhose........fiber is good for cancer prevention, fighting obesity, great for your health, the list goes on and on. We should have 24-38 grams a day, and average diets/ average people consume about 10 grms a day!

So here is a list of high fiber foods.

Bran Cereal 1 cup 19.94 grms
Split Peas 1 cup 16.27 grms
Lentils 1 cup 15.64 grms
Black beans 1 cup 14.92 grms
kidney beans 1 cup 13.34 grms
oats 1 cup 12.00 grms
Avacado 1 med 11.84 grms
grn peas 1 cup 8.84 grms
brn rice 1 cup 7.92 grms
kale 1 cup 7.20 grms
grapefruit 1/2 6.12 grms
sweet tater 1 cup 5.94 grms
almonds 1 ounce 4.22 grms

Now of course these are not the entire list, but the most common heavy hitters.....What do you eat to increase your fiber? Now Im not talking about fiber one bars, etc, I mean real, whole foods that help your fiber?
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I eat a good amount of fiber, on a low day 20-25 grams and on a good day 30-38 grams.

Honestly I eat only whole grains and I eat a TON of black beans (only .66 a can!) and black beans have TONS and tons of fiber. They are high calorie at 110 cals per 1/2 cup but I"d rather eat 300 cals of black beans than 300 cals of chips. And they are so filling, I can eat a black bean plain burrito and be full for hours and hours.

My bf gets about 15-20 grams a day but he also takes fiber pills to help him stay fuller longer (benefiber weight control or something like that)

I think they are gross as **** so I just eat foods with lots of fiber. those 100 cal thomas english muffins have 8 grams of fiber, I eat those a lot too. I pretty much ONLY eat whole grains and things like sweet potatoes as far as carbs go.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #3  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

thanks for this thread, btw. Fiber is so important I often bug my diet buddies to try and get more fiber.

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #4  
Professional Dieter

S/C/G: 275/258/190

Height: 5"9

I love prunes and try to eat a serving a day as one of my fruits. I also make soup a lot and use barley. It has a lot of fiber and really helps keep you satisfied. Oatmeal of course is excellent and I also like to add some Fiber One cereal to yogurt.

I find that when I focus on eating high fiber foods, I stay satisfied longer.
SweetBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat around 90g of fiber day. It fluctuates but I know I'm very high. Basically there isn't anything I eat that doesn't have fiber so its fairly easy.

Beans - I eat lots of beans every day, all sorts of beans. Today I've had lentils, adzuki beans and dinner is borlotti beans.

Whole grains - my soup today had barley and lentils but I will eat various whole grains.

Winter squash - I am addicted to winter squash lately, can't get enough.

Veggies - Cauliflower, green beans, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, celery, etc.

Berries - Blueberries are my favorite but berries generally have a decent amount of fiber.

My cheat - I have one cheat item which I actually haven't used in a while. Its Bob's Red Mill High fiber hot cereal. For the last couple days I've been mixing it with some beans, winter squash and some cinnamon for a sweet filling treat. It has 10g of fiber in 1 serving.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My favorite fiber all stars (other than loads of fruit and veggies) are:

Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffins - 8 g of fiber, and no HFCS or partially hydrogenated anything. These are a daily part of my breakfast.

Whole grains are all I eat...brown rice, WW pastas, etc.

Beans and lentils...mmm, lentil soup

Wasa crackers - super satisfying with a laughing cow wedge or a little PB.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #7  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I eat a lot of fiber as well because I had a colon cancer scare when I was 28 but they got everything way before it became a problem.

I try to eat beans, whole wheat crackers, fiber veggies and oats everyday. I also try to make smart desicions regarding whether a particular food is good for me fiber wise or not. I get at least the daily minimum requirement or more almost everyday.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Lentils. Now THERE's some fiber!

I also get most of my fiber through fruits and vegetables.

I do add psyllium husks to my smoothies. I've always had "issues" and since I started using psyllium on a regular basis, my problems have gone away completley. No bloating. No gas. No nothing.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I eat a lot of that list:

Bran Cereal almost daily
Lentils almost daily
Black beans weekly
Avocado weekly
brn rice almost daily
almonds weekly

And I also eat prunes which one cup is 12 grams of fiber! I go through a bag a week lol.

I don't eat avocado as much as I used to since I'm trying to lose the weight still.

Last edited by beerab; 01-22-2009 at 04:22 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have no problem getting in upwards of 70 or more grams of fiber a day. I'm having a hard time trying to think of even one of my meals or snacks that doesn't contain lots of it.

Some veggies that I don't see already mentioned and they're some of my staples are cabbage, brussel sprouts, asparagus, turnips, spinach, romaine and other greens.

Oranges, apples and pears are other good sources of fiber.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-22-2009 at 04:29 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Great thread!

What exactly is Lentils? Never heard of it.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Thanks for starting this thread. I know I need more fiber but wasnt sure where to get it from. I eat brocolli EVERYDAY with lunch adn dinner. I eat spinach, cabbage, green beans and a few other things. I have been wanting some ideas on how to up my fiber. I want to aim for at least 35 grams a day. Any books or websites out there that might help??? Hope it is okay to ask here but if I have to I will start another thread! Thanks!!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysmomma View Post
Great thread!

What exactly is Lentils? Never heard of it.
Lentils are an excellent source of fiber, iron, protein and a whole bunch of other stuff. They are in the legume family. They are little beans that you can use for just about anything you would use beans in. you can find them with the other dried beans in the grocery store
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=52
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #14  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I LOOOVVVEEE fiber!

I admit to using alot of Fiber One products. I also eat alot of sweet peas, corn, broccoli, and spinach (you know those cool steam bags of veggies? I'll add some LC cheese and eat those as a meal....SO GOOD!). I love prunes and apples. My new favorite snack is Wheat Thins Fiber Selects with LC cheese. I'm trying to make a replica of this awesome carne asada burrito I get on my cheat days so I'm adding high fiber beans and tortillas to the list. Basically everything I buy has to have fiber in it. At least 1 gram to every 50 calories (sometimes 100 calories, depending on how I like the product).
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAthena View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I know I need more fiber but wasnt sure where to get it from. I eat brocolli EVERYDAY with lunch adn dinner. I eat spinach, cabbage, green beans and a few other things. I have been wanting some ideas on how to up my fiber. I want to aim for at least 35 grams a day. Any books or websites out there that might help??? Hope it is okay to ask here but if I have to I will start another thread! Thanks!!
Ann, you could just google "high fiber foods" and lots will pop up for you.

Jasonslea, a high fiber product is one that has at least 5 grams of fiber per serving.

For me, wanting to get the most volume for my precious calories FORCES me to eat lots of veggies, which are of course LOADED with fiber. Good stuff.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote