Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default What are set points?

What are set points? And what are the parenthesis by some point values in my book? I just started Weight Watchers again and I don't understand this new thing.

Thanks!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #2  

You will get the information for Set Points in the week 5 booklet.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

SetPOINTS values allow members some flexibility in eating situations while still maintaining control. Members will be able to put into practice the skill of listening to their body signals combined with the structure of the POINTS Weight-Loss System. Research with this new feature indicated that members found it most useful in eating situations where they didn’t want to feel like they were on a diet, such as eating out in a restaurant with friends. Or, being able to eat as many strawberries as they like until satisfied, as a snack."

I interpret that to mean that while "stressful" situations usually occur outside the home, they can occur at the home too if you are entertaining, for example, and don't want to be seen weighing and measuring."

and

"There is going to be some 'different' points of view on SetPoints....this is from the leaders manual and doesn't help 'solve' it:

Are you able to use the SetPOINTS value feature for grains, starchy vegetables, protein and fruit in one day?

You can use the feature as much or as little as you want to as long as you stick to your daily POINTS Target (including your weekly POINTS Allowance if you desire to use it) for the day. For example, you could use the feature for fruit at breakfast, some pasta for lunch, and some grilled chicken for dinner. Keep in mind however, that you always have the choice to count the regular POINTS values for a food instead of counting the SetPOINTS value."

Additionally online and in the books it is all explained under DINING OUT or AWAY FROM HOME sections....but that doesn't mean you can't. My leader is stressing it for situations for dining away from home or when you have people over and you don't want to weight and measure like at a dinner party.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #4  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

this is the first time i've heard of set points. i do ww online and i just got done reading the explanation of it on their website and it's confusing. we can only use the set points for one food per meal? how is that going to help while eating out? if i am at a restaurant and am having trouble estimating the portion sizes, i would want to use set points for each food not just one part of the meal.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/171.8/150

Height: 5'10"

I didn't know it was for just one item per meal. My understanding was that you would use the set points for EACH item. And that the set points would have to be added for EACH time you had the item in a day. So if you had grilled chicken for lunch AND dinner you would count the set points twice that day. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.
chelley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I decided to do the online program but I don't really ever plan to use set points.

From what I understand, with set points you are supposed to eat 'reasonably' and count a certain amount of set points for what you eat. You can mix set points with real points too. Set points only count for the meal in question and only count for a single item.

From the website, you have the following "rules"

The rules:

* Meet your daily POINTS Target
* Continue using your weekly POINTS Allowance and swapping activity POINTS values as you normally do.
* Assign the SetPOINTS values to only one food within a category (So, if you’re eating surf and turf with lean steak and shrimp, count the SetPOINTS value twice.)
* Count SetPOINTS values per meal, without extending portions into other meals. (So, if you have lean steak for both lunch and dinner, count the SetPOINTS value twice.)
* Consciously assess signals as you eat. Eat what feels like a normal portion to you, but avoid eating so much that you feel stuffed.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Our leader talked about the setpoints last week. One of the things she talked about was the counting setpoints for more than one item in a specific group. For example, if you wanted to eat fruit - pick ONE fruit because you will be counting the setpoints for each type of fruit. Let's say there was a fruit salad made with apples, grapes, melon and bananas -- you'd have to count the setpoint for each type of fruit -- (four fruits x the setpoint value). If you just have a serving of melon, you'd count the setpoint only for that one item.

Also, let's say you order steak at a restaurant and count the setpoints but you don't finish all of your steak. You still count the entire value of the setpoint. If you eat the leftovers the next day, you can either weigh the meat and get the correct point value or you can still use setpoints, but you again count the full setpoint value.

The leader explained that this is why setpoints aren't explained until Week 5 so that new people first get the concept of counting points and all that before introducing setpoints -- since it's sort of another way of counting points, but that you are using more of an "average" value instead of the exact.
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #8  

Set points are only used with filling foods (that's why some in the book don't have a number in parenthesis after). You also aren't supposed to eat everything served because you are using set points, you are to eat until satisfied but NOT full.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

OK, so this is what I understand about set points.
1. There may be occasions where you either can't or don't want to count points. FOR EXAMPLE, you are out for dinner. OR, you are at a family BBQ.
These are great examples of using set points in these instances.
2. At that PARTICULAR function, you use set points to ESTIMATE the number of points you have eaten at that particular time. This estimation is done by determining what food groups you have eaten. You then assign the set points value to that food group. You add them up, and this is the ROUGH ESTIMATE for the points you have eaten AT THAT PARTICULAR FUNCTION.
3. Set points are NOT really meant to be used for every meal. They are NOT meant to be used for routine point counting. They are meant to be used for getting a ROUGH ESTIMATE of the points you have eaten at a PARTICULAR FUNCTION. According to my WW leader!
So, how does this work?
Consider this example. You go out for an anniversary dinner with your partner. You sit down and the staff automatically brings you a great big bread basket. You order your meal, and have the baked fish, veggies, potatoes. You decide to have a dessert, too. Oh, and you have a couple of glasses of wine. How do you count the points??? Well, you CAN try to do it the traditional way, but you may be way off as you don't have a hand in preparing the food.
You might say: well, I think this is 2 oz of bread, and I had 3 slices, or maybe it is 1 oz of bread but there is fiber in it and I'm not sure exactly what so I'll limit myself to only one piece although I really, really, really want to have 2 or 3 and I'll assume it is 2 points per ounce although there is fiber in it but what about the sesame seeds on top???...and I think the fish is 4 oz cooked if I scrape the sauce off it because they forgot about the sauce on the side, and I think I'll borrow my partner's hand as he/she has a palm about 4 oz worth and I'll cut around his/her hand and eat only what is inside and then guess that there is 1 tbps of oil used to grill it, I think, and ...well, you get the general stressful gist of this...
OR you can use SETPOINT VALUES!
You would say: OK, I've had a bunch of bread from the bread basket, so I'll use the set points value to account for this: Grains/starches = 6
I've had some fish, so I'll use the lean proteins set point value to account for this: Lean protein = 5
I've had a bunch of whipped mashed potatoes, so I'll use my grains/starches set point value to account for this: Grains/starches = 6
I'll assign a value of 0 to the non-starcy veggies = 0
I had 4 oz of wine, which is easy to calculate = 2
And I had a piece of chocolate cake, which my points book says = 12
SO, for this meal, you have estimated that you have had 31 points for your special occasion meal. You account for this with your budgeted daily points and your extra weekly points and exercise points as required.
Now, I know that you might say: HEY that's alot of points, and I didn't have that much bread or potatoes, and that might be true. Or you might say: WOW I had a great meal and didn`t have to spend alot of time obsessing about preparation techniques and portion size as I ate until I was just full!
But you need to remember that this number is an ESTIMATION of what you have eaten, and you may have eaten slightly more or less than that. This is just a quick means to account for your meal in a relatively accurate way without obsessing in a restaurant about portion sizes and preparation techniques (over which you really have no control over other than requesting them; you can't ensure that the chefs actually comply...). And as it is an estimation only, it is recommended that you use these for special occasions only rather than for everyday points value accounting.
Hope this helps!
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 03-22-2009 at 08:52 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote