Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/237/200

Height: 5'3"

Default I think I screwed up Induction, what to do?

OK, so I thought I was eating low enough carbs for the past month, but I think my carb intake was more like 30 grams than 20 grams (I didn't realize the salads I was eating has as many carbs in them as they do). If I were to start Induction tomorrow would it still work? I definitely went through a headache and craving phase that has long passed. I also lost about 20 pounds in the past month which seems indicative of Induction, but it has stalled, as I read was normal. Should I just carry on as I have been? Or should I basically start over?
ale2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ale2121

20 lbs in one month is EXCELLENT!!! BRAVO I don't see a problem with dropping your carbs slowly, try 25 for a while and see how that goes. But before you do that, are you exercising? getting enough water? Are you eating frankinfoods w/hidden carbs such as lc protein bars, shakes, etc.. stuff w/sugar alcohols? This can stall you as well.

Could you post what you normally eat in a day?

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #3  

sure thing!
I was eating a protein shake for breakfast. 1 scoop of the chocolate designer whey stuff. It has about 2.5 net carbs per scoop. I would "snack" through most of the day. Sticking to things like cheese and sometimes beef jerky when desperate. Also maybe some sugar free jello, and the dannon low carb yogurt. Then for dinner, I would eat something like a salad, or a pile of spinach with ground beef in it, maybe some cheese too. Also I did not eliminate coffee. Coffee really seems to help curb my appetite, and give me energy.

I'm changing this up a little, now that I realize lots of my instincts were wrong. I think I'm going to replace the protein shakes with eggs and lean turkey sausage. Did you all know you can make scrambled eggs real fast in the microwave? great for quick breakfast. I've got a hug bag of cut up celery sticks in the fridge, I usually put a little cream cheese on them that i measure out before I eat. Umm, what else? Dinner will probably stay the same, salads or something like that. I've also learned that I'm putting vegetables in my salads that have too many carbs, which is why I realized I was eating more carbs than I should be. So I'm gonna cut some out.

And, no I wasn't drinking enough water. Turns out 64 oz which I had a hard time making in the first place, is only half of what I should really be drinking. I guess you have to add extra water for the extra weight? So now I'm carrying around a water bottle that is 23 ounces and I know I have to drink at least 5 of them a day.

And I live in NYC and walk a whole lot. But I've started little week long exercise challenges with someone I met on this site. Hopefully adding some muscle will make a big difference.

Last edited by ale2121; 01-22-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Ale, I use the protein powder for my breakfast too. I dont like to eat breakfast at all....never have. Im never hungry in the morning. So this worked for me. Plus it gives me a boost of protein and I almost never have issues waiting until lunch to eat again.

You mention eating thru-out the day. Are you tracking your food on www.fitday.com ? Its free and easy to use. You might be surprised just how many carbs you are actually eating a day.

I dont think you need to worry about starting all over again. You have made awesome progress so far!! Id just keep better track of my foods, get my water in and exercise. I think you'll be just fine.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #5  

I am keeping track of the carb count when I snack. It's knowing how many carbs are in the vegetables that's giving me a hard time.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale2121 View Post
I've also learned that I'm putting vegetables in my salads that have too many carbs, which is why I realized I was eating more carbs than I should be. So I'm gonna cut some out.
Assuming you're doing Atkins Induction, 12-15 of your 20 carbs per day should be coming from salad & veggies on the acceptable foods list. When you progress to OWL, the first rung of the carb ladder says to add 5 more grams of veggie & salad carbs & the 8th rung is 5 grams of starchy veggies such as carrots, peas, acorn & butternut squash etc.

If you are confused about how many carbs are in veggies...I don't recommend much on the Atkins website but, the carb counter there seems to be pretty good
http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPh...egetables.aspx

All the best to you!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/294/145

Height: 5'6"

I went out and I also bought the Atkins Food Shopping List and it goes over brand name items and also breaks down the Vegetables as to their carb list... although, I havent started yet... I am getting ready to start it and cant wait. I did it before but had so much pressure from friends and family to stop it that I did and where did it get me--- I put that weight back on and added another 80. So, guess who knows that I will be doing this for me and hush with them...
Lorrie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good luck Lorrie

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 304/294/145

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Leenie!!! You too!!!!
Lorrie7 is offline   Reply With Quote