Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Default I thought I just really liked the cookies

I really didn't think it was an emotional problem. I always thought that was other people, not me.
I was listening to an Oprah podcast today. One of the ones with Bob Green. They were talking about people having to deal with self esteem issues while they lose weight. Bob Green said that many times people hide from this with food, they stuff down those feelings. Then when they go through the process of losing those problems become more amplified. I could totally relate to what he was saying. I'm finding myself feeling so self conscious a lot of the time. I'm sure it will get better with time, but it's taking some work in my head to get through it.
Anyone else dealing with this?
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think it all makes sense- more so now I feel like when I'm angry or upset I think MORE about food and the fact I can't have it. I have to keep telling myself "I am not hungry, I'm just MAD."
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266.3/232/150

Height: 5'7"

Definitely makes sense. I am constantly saying to myself "I don't need to eat this right now. This will just make things worse."
CeCeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #4  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I think a lot of people struggle with self esteem and emotional problems when losing weight, especially since a lot of people gain weight for emotional reasons. I think journalling and talking to friends/family helps.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #5  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I learned in WW this week to check if my Heart is hungry (meaning emotions) or my stomache is hungry (meaning real live physical hunger) when I feel like eating.

I used to eat for many emotional reasons...tired, lonely, happy, bored, angry and also actually hungry. As I try to stay OP, I find myself asking myself..."What do I really want?" when I'm feeling like eating when it isn't meal time. If I'm hungry I eat...thirsty, I drink...anything else I atleast try to be aware of what I am feeling rather than covering it up with food.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 01-22-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone, it's funny how much in denial I was about the emotional eating. I thought the discomfort would be in the hunger and the exercise, who knew it would mostly be dealing with emotional stuff. I can't believe it's taken me until my 40's to deal with this stuff. It's never too late to learn new stuff about yourself.
I'm enjoying the Oprah podcasts with Bob Green and Dr. Oz. They are free on itunes. I tell my husband that I'm trying to brainwash myself
Yell at your Fat is another podcast that is fun. She actually yells at her fat! so funny, a little silly, but funny. My husband likes to make fun of me for that one, he can hear her yelling on my ipod when he's sitting next to me. He asks me if I'm yelling at my fat when I have my ipod on.
Roni's weigh is good too. Lots of great weight loss tips and I love watching her cook with her toddler, he is so adorable and eats frozen veggies!

Last edited by H8cake; 01-22-2009 at 02:19 PM.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #7  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I never thought I was an emotional eater, but then when I went back to school I was like, had a bad day? eat some wings....

took a few pigging outs before I realized I was doing it too!

I always thought, "I just like food. yum yum!" haha, which is true...of course but....still.

I remember when I lost 70 lbs in 2004, I was kind of freaked out about being thinner, it was a weird thing but all this issues popped up. meh.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote