Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #1  
Chicklet

Default Losing body fat on a low fat diet

In what order does the body burn fuel? I know that it burns carbs first, and then protein, as it tries to keep from letting it's precious (but unsightly) fat stores go. Is this right?

If that's the case, how do you lose body fat on a low fat diet when carbs are readily available? If it always has a supply of carbo-goodness, it'll never need to touch the fat to burn fuel...cuz before it even hits THAT mark it'd go to your muscles first.

Someone please... explain?
Esmeralda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think you're worrying too much about this. Ultimately, while the degree to which you are satisfied changes with macronutrients, what counts is what you are BURNING (through activity and daily living) as compared to what you are EATING (in total calories).

You are also mixing your concepts. The order in which your body burns things really only applies during anaerobic exercise...where you're working really, really, really hard. It does not apply while you're going about your daily life. So you're talking about what kind of fuel your body burns AT THAT MOMENT to fuel the intensive activity.

If you are consuming fewer calories than you burn, your body is always going to "run out" of readily available fuel from what you're eating, and will pull from fat stores to fuel itself.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mandalinn is right on. I think you are overthinking it a bit.

When not exercising or doing exercise that isn't too intense, your body burns a portion of fat and carbs, a generally higher percentage of fat than carbs. When doing intense exercise, your body needs quick energy so it'll burn fat and carbs but carbs at a higher level.

Overall though what it burns when doesn't matter because if you are taking in too much energy in the form of carbs, fat or protein, then your body will turn the energy into fat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #4  

Low fat diets do not work well because you don't feel satisfied. A well balanced diet will give better results.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Low fat diets do not work well because you don't feel satisfied. A well balanced diet will give better results.
I think it depends. A low fat diet can be very satisfying and well balanced. If you are on a 'junk food' low fat diet, then that is one thing but if you eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and legumes, I don't know how you couldn't be satisfied. I've known people who've done 'whole food' low fat diets and have done well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote