Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default 30 Day Shred Question Again

Does anyone else HATE this workout? I absolutely can't stand it. I burn a little over 200 cals in the 20 minutes and I know it's working but I dread it and I feel like I'm going to die doing some (I don't hate it all) of the moves. I think I could even cry during it if I didn't push myself so hard and just make myself get through it. LOL! I have done only 3 days of level 1 and decided to go on to level 2 yesterday to see how it was. Well, all I have to ask is after the 10 days on level 1 is 2 easier? Also, if I did it 30 days in a row instead of doing something else every other day would it get any better? I just don't know about it. I'LL keep doing it but I will hate every minute of it and dread the days I start with that. I love turbo jam and look forward to doing it and even if I don't want to I get into it after the first 5 minutes or so and am fine. Not so with 30 DS. Anyone else feel this way?
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I just did it to see what everyone is going on about. I didn't particularly like it. But I don't' like the idea of combining strength training and cardio. I don't think weights should be involved in cardio. I guess that is just my personal preference. Though, I guess you are only supposed to use light weights since you do this every day? I just don't like it. I probably won't do it again.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-17-2009 at 05:51 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #3  

I don't think you are supposed to do the 30 day shred workout every day. Sorry, but, if you watch this tv interview with Jillian ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6DneL2hmDk ), she talks about doing her workouts (strength and cardio blend) only 4 days a week and then throwing in some other cardio on the other days of the week for gravy. These are almost her exact words.

I have studied a lot about strength training, diet and cardio, and doing the strength routine every day seems somewhat backwards with what even she says on this interview. NOW, you are using light weights and the cardio totally kicks my butt. I mean, this is quite a workout for 20 measly minutes. I think I am going to do some cardio, possibly TJ on alternate days and really try to focus on my diet as well. I don't know if it was Jillian that said it, but it's pretty simple, if exercise is Queen, diet is KING. Don't worry though, I am still totally gonna crap myself out everyday with SOMETHING. I just need to get in the groove. BTW, I am opposite... I LOATHE Turbo Jam, but I actually feel good doing 30ds. That's because I am bumbly and dance-******ed and Turbo Jam (especially the Max Results) switches moves too quickly for me. Jillian does stuff I know how to do in proper form, but I am afraid I have turned into a push up pansy since my last stint of working out. EH, just work it, ladies. WORK IT!
LanMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

I did Turbo Sculpt last night and it uses many of the same moves as 30 DS but it's 40 minutes and she adds some more. I liked that way better. I honestly felt like I could do it better (more intense) when I was doing fewer on each side for shorter periods and then going back to them later. Plus I just love Turbo Jam. LOL!

I might put 30 DS aside and do Turbo Sculpt instead until I get my body used to all those lunges and squats. That's pretty much the only thing that kills me in her video. I don't mind the cardio and the ab exercises are fine.

I also love doing strength training and cardio together. Makes me feel like I'm engaging more muscles and getting more done at one time.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I guess I'm just the opposite. I don't like mixing them. And I didn't like all the jumping. It KILLED my knee.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

I tried the 30DS a couple of weeks ago but wasn't able to keep it up due to the holiday craziness---but I'm going to give it a go again!

Today was Level 1 Day 1 and wasn't as bad as I remembered. I'm using 5 lb weights and am OK until near the end with the side lunges and arm raises---those KILL me!

I'll try to post as I go and let you know how it goes for me.
gurlywerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #7  
wiggle and jiggle b gone

S/C/G: SW 180/ see tracker/ GW 145

I'm gonna start the 30 DS today, I'll also be using 5 pound weights. Here is wishing me luck that I'll be able to it and keep it up for the 30 days.
gurlywerl- How did yesterday go? I'll be one day behind you.
wvugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #8  

Ok, my legs were a little achy today but not bad enough to stop me from doing Level 1 Day 2 after work. My calves were pretty tight feeling at first but loosened up pretty good about a third of the way through. I still find the side lungs w/ lateral raises the most difficult but am hoping that they won't feel so tough in a few days. Definitely wondering how I'm going to feel tomorrow...

I'm not following any real strict food plan and usually eat pretty well anyways but I'm finding it difficult to not graze on chocolate or sweets later in the evenings.

One thing at a time, I guess.

wvugirl - how did you manage on day 1?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #9  
wiggle and jiggle b gone

S/C/G: SW 180/ see tracker/ GW 145

gurlywerl, I didn't get to start it today, I came down with a bug or something and spent quite a bit of my time in the BR. Hoping tomorrow I'll feel well enough to start. Keep me posted.
Hoping that I could have started today !!!
wvugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

The only thing I don't like about 30-day shred is how fast they move from standing to lying on the floor. It's like - wait up yo! they're already on sit-up number three and I've just gotten settled on the floor! LOL.

I like this workout because it's not impossible, but it's hard, and it's over in 20 minutes.

I'm intrigued about this Turbo Jam though -- I might check it out.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #11  

Level 1 Day 3 complete. Took a day off yesterday-----looking forward to moving on to the next level.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I don't know...I've been thinking, does it really work? I mean, I do it in the morning, and then for the rest of the day I don't feel like I "really" worked out. I mean, while I'm doing it, it's hard, and I'm dying, but maybe 20 minutes is just too little?

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #13  
Begin againer

S/C/G: 235.6/221.6/185

Height: 5'7"

I'm on day 3 of Shred. I like it so far; esp. it being over in 20 min!
Thanks Lan for the information...I'm going to alternate with Yoga Booty Ballet. (Found it at the thrift shop!)
Wishing all success!!!
My favorite part is when Jillian says change comes from stress. I can stand the stress knowing change is around the corner!
forme01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #14  

Red face Love your picture!

FORME01: How inspiring, I love that picture! I've been thinking of changing my pic to on ethat is a little more inspirational (more inspirational than my face... umm, yeah, that's shouldn't be hard.) Anyway... beautiful picture. I want a poster of that!

Last edited by LanMyers; 01-22-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Spelling.
LanMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #15  
Begin againer

S/C/G: 235.6/221.6/185

Height: 5'7"

Hey there Lan~ I found it somewhere online..sorry to say I can't remember where...I like to call it "Facing the winds of change". The times may get rough (like the seas), but it's all about the direction you're facing.
Glad you liked it!
forme01 is offline   Reply With Quote