Old 01-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #1  
Jeremy

S/C/G: 222/222/185

Height: 6 foooooot

Default should i eat every three hours?

I hope i dont repost this from somewhere else but i was wondering i really dont eat to much only 2 meals a day at most lunch wich is light (some pineapple few crackers and a string cheese) supper is anything that my wife makes (she tries to keep it healthy. Should i be changeing my eating habits to a couple hours something small and if so what would be some alternatives for that.
jb735u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #2  
Let It Go

S/C/G: 230/228/160

Height: 5'8"

I think that eating only 2 times a day is not good. I started eating every 3 hours on Jan 1, 2009 and as of today I have lost 12 pounds!! I feel better and have more energy. I am not having cravings and am very happy. It's not a diet but a new "eating style" for life. I am eating plenty of food and am very happy. I have no food restrictions as I believe that's what causes failure on "diets" Eventually you have to give in and have what you desire. If I want it, I eat it.
delafax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #3  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

2 meals a day isn't a great way to lose weight. It's probably worse. Your body sees it like this...

Every time your body goes a long period of time without receiving the things it needs to function, whenever it does get it, for you, twice a day, it will hold on to as much as it can to survive because it knows it won't be getting what it needs for a while. I think eating something every 3 hours is a good way to go.
I have three meals a day and 3 snacks which span out to about eating every three hours. I've lost 24 lbs in ten weeks doing this. So it works for me, it might not work for you, but I really think 2 meals a day is not enough at all.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #4  
Let It Go

I agree with Beautiful Ace ...
"Every time your body goes a long period of time without receiving the things it needs to function, whenever it does get it, for you, twice a day, it will hold on to as much as it can to survive because it knows it won't be getting what it needs for a while."
Your body basically goes into survival mode and this slows your metabolism. Eating every 3 hours might not work for you but it might be worth giving it a try for 2 weeks and see if it does.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #5  
=D

Personally, I think it's about finding what works best for you. When I eat 6 times a day (3 meals 3 snacks) I find I don't get the chance to sit down and eat a full, proper meal - which is what I like - since I don't like having to thinly spread my calories throughout the day. I usually eat 3 meals and 1 or maybe 2 snacks.

If you have enough protein and fiber from complex carbohydrates - you probably won't go hungry. For snacks, if you - like me - tend to be a fast oxidiser - something high in protein in fat will be the best thing for you - as opposed to an apple or somthing, which won't keep you full for much longer than an hour or two (unless you're a balanced or slow oxidiser).

Like I said before, there really is no right or wrong way of spreading out your meals - just find what works for you and stick with it. The problem with 2 meals, like Beautiful Ace quite rightly said - is that it will probably not leave you satiated, and at the next meal you may overindulge.

Last edited by mazza; 01-18-2009 at 05:08 PM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #6  
Jeremy

You are all correct its not that i indulge i do on days and dont . What would be good alternatives as snacks though? Something healthy and good carbs.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #7  
=D

Tuna cans are an awesome snack - one of my faourites.

95gm can of tuna, 13gms protein and only around 70calories. All sorts of fruits and veggies are good too - apples, carrots etc. Also you can try 8-10 almonds or even a small tablespoon of peanut butter.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #8  
Let It Go

I don't do scheduled snacks since I eat every 3 hours. I eat breakfast, lunch one, lunch two, dinner one and dinner two. With all those meals I'm never hungry for a "snack" I sometimes have cottage cheese with lunch so maybe that would be a good snack if you like it.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #9  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Breakfast is definitely important, it gets your metabolism going, so no you dont have to eat every 3 hours if thats not what you want, but at least 3 small meals a day.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My snacks are usually 100 calories or less. Yogurt, Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedge, fresh fruit, Wasa Crackers, etc.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Some of us find it helpful from a medical or other standpoint to eat small, frequent meals instead of larger less frequent meals and that schedule of eating has been linked a lot by scientists and the public with increased success with weight loss, but if you don't want to eat that way and don't need to manage blood sugar or other condition that would be helped by eating every three to four hours or more frequently, then you should do what's right for you. The best person to consult on the subject of your own health is your doctor or a nutritionist, etc., in my opinion.

I eat more than every three hours and my meals and snacks are pretty much the same size. I consider them all mini meals. I am eating a low glycemic ovo-lacto vegetarian diet and like both dairy and soy based protein shakes with fruit, cheese (both full fat and low fat ... LOVE Laughing Cow lately on Triscuits), roasted vegetables with something like Smart Balance with flaxseed oil, some processed vegetarian foods like Morningstar Farms Veggie Bites (180 cals for three big eggs florentine breaded "nuggets" with fruit make a mini meal), double fiber whole wheat Eng muffins (checking label for HFCS or High Fructose Corn Syrup which I will not eat) with light butter or cheese or agave nectar drizzled on, Ezekial toast with natural peanut butter, string cheese with apple or convenience store muffin with banana ... almost anything that contains both protein and good quality carbs. I also eat some yogurt but not any of the kinds that have HFCS in them. I like Greek yogurt or a natural brand called Brown Cow, this also makes good smoothies with fruit, as does reduced or low fat cottage cheese (tastes like cheesecake). I also eat hard boiled eggs with cherry tomatoes sometimes.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #12  
Jeremy

Thanks everyone for all the great info that laughing cow cheese looks oh so good . I might start trying to make smaller meals and see how that works for me give it a couple of weeks.

but what about ....well let me put it like this i love milk and i make chocolate milk (1/2 a glass) is there away to substitute that for something better.....i love my chocolate milk but if its really that bad i will have to go without :-( .

Last edited by jb735u; 01-18-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #13  
Let It Go

If you like your chocolate milk I think you should have it. Don't restrict what you eat. Just don't drink it all day...lol Are you drinking 1%?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #14  
Jeremy

Yes i am haha i do love my chocalate milk but have never counted the calaries for it (i loved it to much to look )
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #15  

Wink Why not try slimfast for chocolate milk?

I am doing the mini meals thing too... 5-6 meals at 200-300 calories each every three hours. For you it would be more because you are so tall and male. Maybe 300 to 350 cals about 6 times a day? That would be 1800 to 2100 calories for you. Seems about right. Maybe more if you workout hard.

Anyway, if you love your chocolate milk, why not try a protein shake/meal shake (such as slim fast or spirutein or find one you like). I like the slimfast powder mix with real organic milk (not the nasty glurb in the cans) and your body can definitely use the nutrients from a meal shake as opposed to chocolate syrup.

One thing I also do, is when I have bread, I find 100% Whole Grain bread with no HFCS, and in my mini meals, I try to limit it to one piece of bread at a time. I make half turkey or pbj sandwiches instead of whole ones and then pair it with a piece of fruit or cup of low sodium soup (NO MSG!).

Other great snacks are Yogurt (try to keep sugar amounts low, maybe use plain and sweeten with a natural sweetener like stevia or xylitol?) Oatmeal (not too far from it's natural cooked state, only whole grain, better if not instant), Cottage cheese, fruit and veggies, some protein/fiber bars (check label for protein/fiber amounts as well as sugar and questionable ingredients). Also, obviously, you need to get a balance of whole grains and lean proteins (turkey, chicken, tuna, fish, possibly lean beef) in each meal. Just do your best, don't over think it and with mini meals the most important thing is to remember to eat!

On the mini meal route, there should never be a time in the day when you allow yourself to get to a point where you feel ravenous. That would be bad. You also never want to get too full. That's just good sense. I wish you the best man. Hope you make your goal!

Last edited by LanMyers; 01-20-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Incomplete thought.
LanMyers is offline   Reply With Quote