General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default flats that don't make my feet sweat?

Hi all,

I recently bought some cute black leather flats for work (I teach). They are very comfortable and work well with my regular length pants. However, they make my feet sweat incessantly to the point where I can kind of feel my wet feet in the shoes. Nasty, I know. They are leather - not some cheap plastic shoes - but I have already stopped wearing them. I normally do NOT have sweaty feet (at least not excessively sweaty). Then again, I don't normally wear shoes without socks (except open sandals), so maybe that is the problem.

Anyone have a brand of flats that you could recommend that would not cause this problem? I really need shoes, and I want flats!

Help!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I've never been able to wear closed shoes without socks.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Maybe you should try to find cute flats that can be worn with thin dress socks? Gold toe makes some nice thin socks. You can also find socks that are cut so low, no one will notice you are wearing them (depending on the shoe.) I don't typically wear closed toed shoes without socks, especially this time of year.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Maybe you should try to find cute flats that can be worn with thin dress socks? Gold toe makes some nice thin socks. You can also find socks that are cut so low, no one will notice you are wearing them (depending on the shoe.) I don't typically wear closed toed shoes without socks, especially this time of year.
I was going to suggest those little thin, low-cut socks as well. I have some little flat black shoes that are partially leather and look like they'd be breatheable, but my feet get unbearably clammy in them so I wear them with thin black socks. They'd look goofy with colored socks or floral, etc but they look OK with the black.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I would suggest getting knee highs? You can get the nude shade, so it won't look like you're wearing anything with them (except maybe tanned feet..haha). I always wear knee highs with my flats.

Or at places like Kohl's, they sell different things that you can wear with different kinds of shoes. They look like socks but without a top, if that makes sense. I know Ped's sell some too....and you could probably find those at any drug store or places like Walmart as well. Of course, it would depend on the cut of the shoes, but they may be worth a try.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele615 View Post
Or at places like Kohl's, they sell different things that you can wear with different kinds of shoes. They look like socks but without a top, if that makes sense. I know Ped's sell some too....and you could probably find those at any drug store or places like Walmart as well. Of course, it would depend on the cut of the shoes, but they may be worth a try.
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to find these socks that won't show. I teach high school, and all the girls wear cute little, comfy looking flats - no socks. I just can't do it!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't know if you mean ballet-type flats. In my experience, they are actually really un-comfy, because the soles are thin, they're *too* low, and the low-cut vamp doesn't keep them on my feet well.

I just love the adorable ballet-style sneakers in cute little prints, but I can't wear them

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-17-2009 at 10:44 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

a brand call Sofft makes some cute flats that are comfy..now i don't know about the sweat factor since i'm always wearing thin trouser socks..i recommend either sock (thin) or also some foot powder to help reduce odor and sweat
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #9  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

how about trying some Dr. Schol's (spelling??) inserts? There are some that absorb and neutralize the smell of sweat

Last edited by tamaralynn; 01-18-2009 at 01:54 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

gold bond foot powder.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #11  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

I don't know where you live but where I live they have this place called Ardene, they have all types of different socks to go with just about every shoe, they even have socks that only cover the ball of your foot and toes! It's a costume jewelry store and very popular with the young ones, maybe you have clairs or something similar to that.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #12  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

I have tattoos on my left leg that trails down to my foot, and because of a variety of reasons (several surgeries on a foot) I have to wear ballet flats as my dress shoes.

Because I have to dress professionally a good bit of time at school, at the hospital, and when I'm on rotations, I wear them with a variety of trouser socks and tights.

And it sounds cheesy, but there are many places you can buy/order them in colors and patterns. You are not limited to the plain old navy ones my mom/grandmere wear ;>

It's funny. Whenever I wear plain ones with my flats, I always get disappointed comments. So, they don't look weird together, and they don't have to be plain and boring to fit in the professional realm.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I don't know if you mean ballet-type flats. In my experience, they are actually really un-comfy, because the soles are thin, they're *too* low, and the low-cut vamp doesn't keep them on my feet well.

I just love the adorable ballet-style sneakers in cute little prints, but I can't wear them
Yes, that's exactly the type of shoe I'm talking about. I notice that on What Not to Wear, the girl always gets one pair of ballet flats - ALWAYS worn without socks, and they rave and rave about how comfortable they are. I agree, they don't have much support, and actually they already are sort of stretched out, so that my foot is really sliding in them. They fit perfectly when I bought them. I am going to try some of the little socks (that won't show). I may also try them with tights or very thin trouser socks.

Thanks again to all for the great suggestions. I still kind of want to go back to my clogs, but they are allegedly a fashion nightmare...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Pharmacy View Post
I have tattoos on my left leg that trails down to my foot, and because of a variety of reasons (several surgeries on a foot) I have to wear ballet flats as my dress shoes.

Because I have to dress professionally a good bit of time at school, at the hospital, and when I'm on rotations, I wear them with a variety of trouser socks and tights.

And it sounds cheesy, but there are many places you can buy/order them in colors and patterns. You are not limited to the plain old navy ones my mom/grandmere wear ;>

It's funny. Whenever I wear plain ones with my flats, I always get disappointed comments. So, they don't look weird together, and they don't have to be plain and boring to fit in the professional realm.
Thanks, Zen! I am going to try them out with some cute trouser socks. Sounds like you have lots of fun tights and socks!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i don't know how flat is flat..but there were cute...this brand is really comfy with lots of cushion....
http://www.sofftshoe.com/item.asp?style=1217401&Col=0

these are the same brand of shoe i bought a while back..
http://www.lebos.com/site/product.cf...75D0C5D1F9698C
i love these shoes..got them in red..cute corset design on the back. i get sooooo many compliments on them..also if you do find they stretch some (which a lot of flats do) they make inserts you attach to the heel to help prevent the slipping

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 01-18-2009 at 06:22 PM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote