Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Dieting with Hypothyroid

Anyone have any suggestions about this? There are so many healthy fruits and veggies that I'm suppose to avoid because they make hypothyroid worse. This makes any kind of dieting so much harder. Is there anything I can do so I can eat them in moderation at least? Like supplementing something? I know steaming them will inactivate the goiterogen chemicals but steaming strawberries, grapes, or leafy greens is not a good idea.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #2  

I've been hypothyroid for over 40 years and eat grapes and strawberries almost daily and greens, too. I have no problems for adverse effects from them. What is to be avoided, accorrding to my endo and nutritionist, is anything in the cabbage family (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.) eaten raw and soy. You should also not have calcium or citrus for a few hours after you take your meds or they keep your body from fully using them. As you can see, I have been able to lose weight.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #3  
Free-thinker

I was told not to eat hardly any leafy greens, except things like dandellion and arugela. I probably spelled those wrong, but anyway. No lettuce, kale, spinach, etc. Carrots were also on the list. Course this was also from the same doc (homepathic) that wanted me to stop eating any and all grains. Yah right. I read that most hypo people don't do well on low carb diets. Anyway, this helps me feel better. One reason I haven't started eating better is because I was worried about making my thyroid condition worse. Now I just have to start taking my meds. I thought for months that I wasn't hypo, since the meds didn't do a thing. *shrugs*
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Blessed, I am also hypo, and my doctor (and what I've read) indicate information similar to Quilter's. The homeopathic doctor has added some things that I personally haven't found to be necessary, although your mileage may differ. I lose better on a lower carb diet, although I do love carbs and am not eating a lower carb diet right now. I'm sure you will find the right path. Good luck!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #5  

I was diagnosed about a year ago as hypothyroid and am on levothyroxine. I have never been told to avoid any foods. What is the reasoning behind it? I would like to learn as much as I can about it since I am pretty newly diagnosed.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #6  

A good website is www.thyroid.about.com. Tons of information although some is a little over the top. The reasons to avoid those foods I listed are is what I said in that post - they keep your meds from working. They also further inhibit your body's production of thyroid. You should also take your meds on an empty stomach 1 hour before eating.

BlessedBe, most hypothyroids do better with a few complex carbs but more protien.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #7  

I too have hypothyroidism and was never told to avoid anything either. I was however told to not eat for an hour after taking my meds. It has taken me a LONG time to get to the proper strength of medicine, I guess I was sensitive to it, however, I expected to have this help me loose some weight. I exercise normally five to seven times a week, however have not been super good at monitoring my food intake. I feel discouraged that I work my hiney off and nothing happens. Yes, I do know I need to worry about the food intake as well!
Jeepgirllinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #8  
Free-thinker

This one site I go to says that some people work with taking their meds before bed. I might have to try that, as I don't have time in the morning to wait an hour before eating.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #9  

I take mine in the morning and wait the hour. I hate it when I wake up really late and have to wait to eat. I wonder if I should worry about the forbidden foods though if my TSH levels are good? What do you think BlessedBe?
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #10  
Free-thinker

I'm not the best person to ask. :P I don't believe in the TSH test. It's not a very accurate indicator. I'll do for you what someone did for me. Try going to http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/. It's run by people that have dealt with hypothyroid and other conditions like it for years. They could answer your questions better than I could.

QuilterInVA - What are some good sources of protein that don't include powders? I know I NEED more protein in my diet period, but aside from adding more meats what are some other good options? I have some all-natural PB that I LOVE. It only has five ingredients and I know what they all are. Could I maybe add like a tablespoon of protein powder to yogurt?

Last edited by BlessedBe; 01-13-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #11  

Default Steaming them is supposed to inactivate the goitergens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBe View Post
I know steaming them will inactivate the goiterogen chemicals but steaming strawberries, grapes, or leafy greens is not a good idea.
Where did you hear this information? I never heard of steaming them to inactivate the goitergens. I would like to find out so I could eat them because I like these veggies. I never was told about the fruits also. Can you tell me where to look up this info please. Thank you

Also I take my hypothryroid meds because I get severe depression without them and was told by a pyschitist that it was necessary to stay on them to help my depression.

Last edited by ogfarmer; 01-17-2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
ogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm borderline hypothyroid (my thyroid test results a smidgen from the point at which most doctors, including my own, will consider medication). So I get all the fun associated with hypothyroid, and not much to do about it.

Most of what I've read for thyroid diets, recommend a lower carb diet. And I'm reading more and more of the theory that grains or gluten might be implicated in many autoimmune diseases including thyroid conditions. I'm trying to eliminate grains as a test, but it's so hard because I was raised on bread and pasta being an integral part of the diet. It's rather hard to find an alternative.

I do have much fewer fibro symptoms on a lower carb diet. This Christmas at my folks, I went on a carb-bender on the homemade candies and cookies my mom, sisters, and aunt made (I swear, no street corner drug pusher could be more persuasive than my mom and aunt). Perhaps coincidentally, but I think not, the impetigo type rash that is part of my autoimmune issues came back (after my symptoms had been so mild for months, that my doctors said I might have gone into remission).

Whether it was the sugar or the gluten, I'm struggling to get back to the diet I feel best at (a lower carb exchange plan, with only two fruit exchanges, and only one or two starch servings for the day, which I try to get from vegetable sources rather than grains).

Iodine-rich foods (seaweed and some fish) can be helpful for hypothyroid, but the line between enough and too much is hard to determine. Too much of some seaweeds can actually cause hyperthyroid (though you'd have to eat a LOT of seaweed or be taking an iodine supplement).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #13  

Hi Kaplods. I have hypothyroidism (along with Fibro/CFS/OsteoArthritis also so I can relate to what you're going through).

I was on Synthroid but I stayed heavy. What my saving grace was that my Gyno asked me what mg I took and I told her and she told me to tell my Doctor to up the miligrams and HE DID.

Talk to your Gyno and see if she can help get you on meds. They help me a little with energy...not a whole lot because of the Chronic Fatigue but to me I'll take it...something is better than nothing at all.

Good Luck to You and keep telling your Doctor and your Gyno how dry your skin is, your hair falling out, how tired you are.

AS~

**You might want to tell the Doctor that you'd like to try Synthroid just as a 'Trial'...he may work with you if he sees how desperate you've become.

(((HUGS)))
ASoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #14  

Thanks for the info. I am 39 and have been on synthroid since I was 7 years old. In 32 years I have never been told to avoid anything. I have a lot of weight to lose and think I may try full bars to cut down on my eating and hopefully with the weight loss I will have energy to move. I take 250 mgs of synthroid a day. It seems as each time I go to the doctor all he does is up the dosage level. They do not make synthroid in 250mg, so I have to take 2 pills.
susiegjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi...I have been taking synthroid for 25 years. I have really only been told to avoid calcium supplements (vitamins and the calcium from antacids) and extra doses of fiber within four hours of taking my synthroid. Of course, to take it on an empty stomach. (one hour before breakfast). So, I take my vitamins at lunch or dinner.

I don't seem to have a problem with my hypothyroid meds - so I don't worry about other foods.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote