Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Thumbs down Bummer...

Met up with a personal trainer tonight for a free consult to see what her training was all about and that good stuff.

She said that she has a program she formed that she works for clients. And I'm still paying attention, because programs aren't all bad, might as well hear her out. Things were going fine until those dreaded words formed from her mouth "... we don't do heavy lifting. We use light weights and more reps... Cause we're not trying to get you bigger, we're trying to get you smaller."

Booo. Dealbreaker. At least the consult was free.

Sometimes I just wish I lived closer to one of the 3FC member trainers who have read The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Ahh well... the search continues.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Awww, I am sorry Faerie. I hope you can eventually find someone who knows better
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #3  
=D

???

The thing that surprised me is when she said she had a program for all clients. A good PT customises every single program to suit the individual. Like you said,at least it was a free session.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #4  
No description available.

That is a bummer.

Tell her, "I want to lift heavy." Wave New Rules over her head. Ask her, "I really want to lift heavy. Can you recommend another trainer who will help me meet my goals?"
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza View Post
???

The thing that surprised me is when she said she had a program for all clients. A good PT customises every single program to suit the individual. Like you said,at least it was a free session.
I should have been clearer. She formed a program that she gave a name, but each session is customized for the client. And she doesn't repeat exercises.

Those were good things. It was the "no heavy lifting" that stank.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I read an article in Self magazine recently which quoted Madonna's trainer saying that she doesn't think women should use heavy weights for upper arm/body exercises (biceps, triceps, lateral raises, etc.) She said you should do lots and lots of reps with a light weight. And, on one hand, I'm thinking she's totally nuts. But on the other hand, this is someone who trains celebrities (Madonna is not her only celebrity client). She must be somewhat successful. And Madonna is way buff, so something she's doing must be working. I was completely flummuxed because it is contrary to everything else I've read. But maybe Madonna has another trainer who does have her lift heavy or maybe she does it on her own.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Doesn't Madonna insist she doesn't lift heavy? I was thinking she's said that. I could be wrong though. And she could be lying.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Madonna does Ashtanga yoga, which is intense. Plus, she has no body fat, so what she has shows.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah Madonna does some major yoga including stuff where you hold your entire body on your hands. Major body weight exercises. So although I'm sure Madonna's trainer would like to take credit for her body, I think the intense yoga has more to do with her muscle development.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I knew she did the Yoga. I was thinking she said that is all she goes in the way of exercise.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/136/120

Height: 5'3

well you know what?, you knew better than to go along with it. which means your not a novice.
Samantha039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
I knew she did the Yoga. I was thinking she said that is all she goes in the way of exercise.
That wouldn't surprise me. Ashtangis are like that (I mean they often feel that is all they need).
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I've read in a magazine that Madonna got her muscles from yoga. I can't say that it is/isn't true. Only her muscles know!

All I know is that I'm sticking to my (soon to be formed) guns on this one. I can be stubborn!

I've reached out to two other trainers. We'll see how they answer my questions.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Faerie--absolutely, you should stick to your guns on this. I didn't mean to suggest that you shouldn't. My trainer has me lifting heavy and I have no intentions of suggesting he change that. Even when we're working on muscle endurance, he has me using weights that are a lot heavier than Madonna's trainer was suggesting. He scoffed at the article.

But you know, just when I think I know something (e.g., that lifting heavy is as good for women as it is for men), I read an article like this that makes me think I have it all wrong. But the yoga would explain Madonna's buffness.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

Barbara - I guess it's just like nutrition articles... Even experts don't agree! We just have to go with what we know will be right for us.