View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #70
dominodreams
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I think I will put the crushed garlic in ice cube trays. Maybe fill them up half way and freeze it like that.
My mom does/did that with her fresh made pesto. Olive oil, garlic, salt, pine nuts and fresh (homegrown) basil. Obviously you can go for a lighter alternative to olive oil, or add less of it (not sure the proportions, but you can google it or you can experiment yourself). The pine nuts are expensive and optional, but they add a delicious and distinct flavor.

What my mom did, which was crazy messy, was get a bunch of those ice pouches. It's like a plastic sleeve with a bunch of pockets connected (think bubble wrap with giant bubbles). She'd pour the pesto into the pockets (like I said, messy) and squish it down to fill the whole thing, then tie it off and freeze it! They made perfect portions for tossing into a bowl of hot pasta or rice (the warmth melts it pretty well), and it is great just by itself (no cream sauce or anything)! Plus it's super fast!

Loving myself a little bit more, one day at a time...

I am my own worst critic ..........................I am my own biggest fan
.................................................. .........................~ JKS.. r.i.p.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote