Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #1  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default poo question... [serious... but TMI]

So... I've been wondering this... and I don't really know anyone to ask. I don't have many local friends (mostly guys who don't really care about losing weight) and I really don't know anyone else on a diet. So I came here, hoping to get some real feedback. This isn't a prank thread, so I apologize if you find these questions slightly offensive.

I've been noticing, since I've started eating less (*chants* "self control self control self control...") I've noticed a change in my bowels movements, and normally these don't bother me, but it's getting painful.

My question is this... Is there anything in particular that I can eat to......uh... soften things up a little bit? I know this is TMI but I don't really know where else to go. I hope you guys can give me some advice.. Maybe I'm not getting enough vitamins/minerals?

I'm sorry again, this is really weird asking this. I tried asking my mom but she doesn't have any advice to give me.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #2  
How much longer?

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'5'

HA HA its a common question when you start to diet. Just yesterday I had pains so bad I had to make a special trip to the store for gax-x and beano to easy the pain. I was so embarrassed. I was in line for just that. I really didn't need anything else so it was just that.

If it is for gas or pain in bowels you want to try gas-x or beano.
if lets say difficult to get out try a stool softner. It all depends on your diet. If you are eating more fiber (fruits, veggies, etc) then that will make gas pains. If you are eating high protein you may have the other.
Good luck!
Insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

When that happens, I drink more water than usual... it always works for me.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #4  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

The bowel changes can be from numerous things.

Try taking OTC Colace [Softens stool, it is NOT a laxative]

Drinking more water than usual, especially if you're increasing fiber.

Increasing fiber without increasing water is disasterous, and in extreme cases, may cause bowel perforations, hemorrhoids etc.

If you're not a fan of taking pills, applesauce, fresh apples, and prunes (Sunsweet Ones are yummy), or prune juice will help move things along.

Let us know how everything turns out!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #5  
Counter-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insatiable View Post
HA HA its a common question when you start to diet. Just yesterday I had pains so bad I had to make a special trip to the store for gax-x and beano to easy the pain. I was so embarrassed. I was in line for just that. I really didn't need anything else so it was just that.

If it is for gas or pain in bowels you want to try gas-x or beano.
if lets say difficult to get out try a stool softner. It all depends on your diet. If you are eating more fiber (fruits, veggies, etc) then that will make gas pains. If you are eating high protein you may have the other.
Good luck!
Heh, that would be the latter. Thanks for the advice! I do eat chicken a lot (sometimes every night for dinner - George Foreman + Purdue Perfect Portions make a great and easy dinner!), so maybe I'll mix it up a little. I've never gotten gas pains, except when I was on massive amounts of Ibuprofen when I pulled out my back and drank a beer - then I had buildup in my esophagus and it hurt like a b****!

I'll try altering my diet a little. And thanks for empathizing! It may be common, but it's still awkward, lol!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #6  
Counter-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN BSN 2009 View Post
The bowel changes can be from numerous things.

Try taking OTC Colace [Softens stool, it is NOT a laxative]

Drinking more water than usual, especially if you're increasing fiber.

Increasing fiber without increasing water is disasterous, and in extreme cases, may cause bowel perforations, hemorrhoids etc.

If you're not a fan of taking pills, applesauce, fresh apples, and prunes (Sunsweet Ones are yummy), or prune juice will help move things along.

Let us know how everything turns out!

Thanks! I'd definitely prefer to alter my diet rather than take pills, so I will try to increase my water intake and see how it goes (I stopped drinking soda for the most part, so it's all water or coffee). I'll try the applesauce, too! Mmm I love apples...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #7  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I would try drinking apple juice. That usually softens things up for me and gets them moving.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #8  
DRUG FREE

S/C/G: 165/153/130

Height: 5'8''

Get more fiber!!
MISFIT is offline   Reply With Quote