Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Don't laugh...

Ok, so as some of you may know I received Jillian's 30 day shred dvd for Christmas and have been dying to try it out. I have also had pneumonia the day after xmas and am finally starting to feel better.

So I watch the dvd all the way through last night and get a good idea of what to expect. I think..I can do this. It's gonna kill me but I can do it!

OMG!! I could NOT do it.

For those who don't know how it works, it's a 20 min work out made up of a cycle of 2 mins cardio, 3 mins strenth training, 1 min abs and 2 mins cardio again. You do this cycle 3 times.

I could barely do one cycle and didn't even do that completely.
I had to fast forward to the cool down. Thank goodness I timed it so that I would be due for a breathing treatment right after. I felt dizzy, light headed, nauseous, and my chest hurt so much. My heart thought it was going to explode and my body was shaking so much. I got done, did my treatment, and just layed on the couch for about an hour to get rid of the shakes.

I am so embarrassed. I knew I was out of shape, and I'm sure being sick had a little to do with it, but wow. Jillian's 30 day shred is going to turn into Jillian's 6 month shred for me.

Oh well, do what you can right? I will do my one cycle every day until it doesn't feel like I'm going to die. Then I will do 2 cycles, and then complete the easy side of level one and move onto the hard side of level 1, etc.. At least I can say I'll definitly get my money's worth on it!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You know, I've been working out near daily for 3 years now. Usually, exercise tapes are not enough for me...they don't get my heart rate to good levels. But there are a few exceptions. 30 DS is one of them! It is really, really hard.

No reason this has to be done in 30 days. The good thing about something being that hard is that if you push yourself, you'll see results!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

That is probably the best thing to do. On my biggest loser dvd I could barely do a lot of the exercises at first, but as I did it at my own pace (instead of the dvd's pace) I got the hang of it and can make it all the way through doing all of the exercises correctly and effectively.

As long as you get your heart rate up during the cycles you are doing good, so far!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #4  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I mean this with a loving tone and a friendly heart...speaking of hearts...did you check with your Dr. before you began the exercise plan?

I've had issues in the past with chest pain and have had a full cardio workup done twice. I am positive I do not have any heart issues but I checked in with my Dr. prior to beginning my "get healthy" plan just to be sure.

I also had pneumonia last year and was sicker than heck for 2 full weeks. It took me about 6 weeks to feel all the way better after being so sick. Please be careful with your self!!

That all being said...I'm proud of you for sticking with it for almost the one cycle! I'm a big weinie and can honestly say I'm not exercising yet! I am increasing my activity level doing things like hiking, walking the dog, playing Frisbee golf...etc, So I'm impressed with those that exercise!

Last edited by Michelle98272; 01-14-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #5  

I tried it and after the first set of pushups (which I could NEVER do) and feeling like a beached whale, I could no longer do it. I will try again when I lose a bit more weight.
Neast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Thank you all for your support. I do feel a bit better.

Mandalinn, I feel better hearing you say it's hard too. I was worried I wasn't pushing myself enough by giving up.

heather I agree and will continue along that line of thinking.

Michelle - The doc is ok, just told me to go slow and take it easy which is why I stopped when I was feeling so bad. The last thing I want to do is over due it and relapse. I feel better hearing it took you a while to recover too. I have not ever been this sick, or taken so long to get back to normal. I'm still looking at a couple weeks before complete recovery. Kind of scarey. Im glad you are feeling better!

Neast - the pushups were a welcome relief compared to the cardio. That's what got me. I was never so happy to lay on the floor and do push ups or ab crunches!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

OMG I am on my 3rd day of this and I'm walking like I've ridden a horse for a week! I thought I was in decent shape too

No worries...just work your way up slowly. The 30 day shred is a tough one to start out on.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/197

Height: 5'9

I'm not encouraging you to quit but if it were me I might try a different tape and work my way up to the 30 day shred. If those who are more fit are finding it difficult than give yourself a break while still doing yourself good.

I just bought Bob's Biggest Looser Boot Camp DVD and I love it. I am SO not fit and I can make it through. Not without sweating, wincing and groaning BUT at least I'm getting through it. (Plus I got it at Walmart for under $8!!)

Good luck!!

(Oh, forgot to add...your pneumonia will play a huge part in how you deal with fitness efforts. Even though you're feeling better you're still healing. You will find you have to take things a little slower for awhile.)

kiki100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266.3/232/150

Height: 5'7"

I remember after I had pneumonia 2 years ago, I returned to work after a week of having it, and it took me about 4 weeks before I could check out a person (I was a cashier) without feeling like I was going to have an asthma attack. I couldn't even imagine trying a workout dvd.

Don't feel embarrassed! Just take it easy and eventually you'll be able to.
CeCeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I have heard some of the people at work talk about Jillian being tough and I have read it right here as well.... So definitely pace yourself - especially after getting over pneumonia. Take care of yourself and you will get there.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I had the same issue with exercise when I was around your weight. Just remember, you're doing the same exercise that other people are doing- with at least 100 pounds of extra weight strapped to your body, and a circulatory system that's stretched out and not used to working double-time.

There's nothing wrong with starting small, that's what almost everyone has to do. Walking, recumbent biking at the gym...things you're able to do without having a breathing attack. It will get better.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have been working out pretty hard for two years now, and I just tried 30DS this week and couldn't get all the way through the first circuit without stopping. The nice thing is that the first of the three circuits is the hardest, so it gets easier after the jumping jacks, I promise!

It's going to take awhile to get better, but we will both get there if we stick with it. It's a tough workout, but I guess we shouldn't expect any less from Jillian.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #13  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Who would ever laugh at someone who is working their butt off trying to get healthier?? Good for you for trying it and good for you for having a plan to stick to it!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

There is nothing to laugh at. Ive BTDT too. I started working out to TBL workout in 2007 and OMG the first time I did it, it kicked my butt. I could not finish. I was sore for days! As time went on I got to where I wasnt even sweating at the end of it. I moved up to the next level, when it got easy, I went to the bootcamp one. In 2008 I had 2 surgeries to remove a lump from my breast, and I let myself slip out of that workout mode. There is no way I could do the easy part now. Its all about taking your time, and working up to it. Just keep up with it, and before you know it, you will blow it out of the water. Good luck.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #15  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm going to hug you (((hugs))) and not laugh. I can't do it either. But we will!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote