Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #1  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Default Why Are You Fat?

On this season and last season of Biggest Loser, Bob (one of the trainers) has talked about how exercise and the food are only components of a bigger picture. He said that we must deal with what's going on in our head or we are in danger of gaining back what we've lost.

I've never been one to really delve into my mind and my thinking about weight loss, but I've realized that what I've been doing for the last 40+ years isn't working. I'm missing a vital component. I have issues that lead to me being 264 pounds and I need to deal with them. If I don't deal with them, I'm very likely to fall back into my pattern of stuffing down my emotions with food. So, this time, I'm journaling. I'm being honest with myself and putting it all down on paper...in black and white. Today is OP day #14 and I've learned a lot about myself. Some of it is good and some of it is very difficult to admit, but I'm finally dealing with all of it. This time, I will reach goal and I will keep the weight off forever!

Why are you fat? Do you know? What are you doing to find out?

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-14-2009 at 08:05 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I have a pretty darn good idea why I am fat. I've often thought about starting a blog or something to explore it more. A private blog though. I've tried keeping a paper journal but I usually forget about it and then my kids use it for drawing or whatnot. Another example of being good with initiating, bad with the follow through.
I have plenty to sort out. Some of it is emotional, but some of my eating is also selfcontrol and saying "ENOUGH". Just because something feels good or tastes good doesn't mean its good for you and to have/do as much as you want.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #3  
One pound at a time...

For me, completely stress and emotional eating. I know what are the good foods, but I choose not to eat them. I have my trigger foods which I know I can never ever keep in the house on a regular basis-chips (of any kind) and chocolate.

Here is an example. I was doing very well over Christmas, but I received a box of truffles (my absolute favourite) over the holidays. I brought them to work so I can share with others. Last week, the announcement came down that there were going to head count reduction, but we would not know who. So, what did I do? Gorged on the bloody things. I was able to take a step back and talk to myself and say "What the heck are you doing?" I threw them out. A big win for me. Knowing what triggers that mindless eating is key.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #4  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Im fat because I worry and stress and worry some more . . . the only thing that makes me feel better is sweets. Then I crash and fall asleep . . . and I can't worry when I am asleep. Food is my drug of choice. I am a food adict. I eat to fell better.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I do know why I'm fat....it's a really sad story when I sit down and think about it but I've made peace with myself & forgiven those that had a hand in it, including myself. It really helped me to start writing it all down and when I think I'm about to throw this all away I come here & sometimes read my journal, they both give me the extra boost I need to keep doing this for myself.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #6  

I'm fat because I developed bad eating habits as a child, and as I grew up they only got worse. I also was homeschooled in high school & was left alone because my single mother worked, so I spent my days eating tons of junk food in front of the computer/tv/books, and rarely got out to do anything.

Now into my 20s the habits have stuck true.

Now I'm trying to break the only thing I've known which is sedentary-ness & junk food.

With the few exceptions why I attempted weight loss I never touched a fruit or veggie. & I never exercised.

Until now.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 269/255/200

Height: 5/6

Oh I understand this one GirlyGirl. A lot of this is due to my beliefe system that I learned growing up. I need to make changes in my life which I am but it's hard and I really got to keep the focus on myself .As I do and take better care of myself I DO LOSE WEIGHT But it is hard work. I am now working on getting the outside of me to match the inside . As that comes together the weight will come off and stay off. Tanee sending you a hug
BAILYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I am a peacemaker by nature. I'm also a chronic pleaser. As long as everyone around me is happy, I am too. Growing up in an abusive alcoholic home, there was ALWAYS unhappiness around me, no matter what I tried to do to make it peaceful. So the peace I found was in food. And thus began my lifelong dependency on it.

I have been more conscious of my relationship with food this time. I can see where certain disruptive instances of late has driven me to the desire to eat. (Luckily, I was able to find something else instead of food to soothe me.)

I have a LOT of work to do.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #9  

we are too fat because we eat more than we are burning off, anything else is just an excuse to eat, you can rationalize any behaviour. just like quitting smoking stop buying and bumming cigarettes problem solved. To lose weight eat less and exercise more.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Jen, I could have absolutely written your post myself. As I think about it right now, usually mealtimes were the only peace you could count on in my home growing up. As I became an adult I found acceptance in this "people pleasing" thing. As long as I could give other people happiness, make them laugh, make them feel secure, then I was okay. I have a hard time knowing where appropriate boundaries are too in many facets. I don't know if I over react or under react or ??? The thing about giving and giving giving for so many years was that it emotionally and physically drained me. I think I got into that mode because deep inside me I am really trying to get acceptance I never had from my mother. In the end, I kept trying to give but my pot was empty and nothing really left to give from. So, I am working on keeping something in the pot this time--for myself and for those that mean the most to me.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-14-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
we are too fat because we eat more than we are burning off, anything else is just an excuse to eat, you can rationalize any behaviour. just like quitting smoking stop buying and bumming cigarettes problem solved. To lose weight eat less and exercise more.

You know, I have never heard that before. That is really, quite novel.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #12  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

cos im lazy and i eat to much. pretty simple.i like bad food it tastes great, i hate fruit and veg as they dont' satisfy my sweet tooth and i'd rather sit in the warm and watch a movie than go outside in the wet
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
That may be the physiology of weight gain and weight loss, but it is far from the real reason why we are fat. What makes one eat more than their body needs? Willpower will only take you so far. At some point, you must deal with the issues and change your behavior. I'd rather do this now while I'm losing than to reach maintenance, fall back into old patterns and gain everything back. For too long, I've ignored the inner me. That is why this journey has taken me so very long.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Jen, I could have absolutely written your post myself. As I think about it right now, usually mealtimes were the only peace you could count on in my home growing up. As I became an adult I found acceptance in this "people pleasing" thing. As long as I could give other people happiness, make them laugh, make them feel secure, then I was okay. I have a hard time knowing where appropriate boundaries are too in many facets. I don't know if I over react or under react or ???
Yep, that is one of those classic issues with adult children of alcoholics--not knowing what is truly appropriate for the situation. It's a wonder my siblings and I turned out decent. I think it was our determination to NOT be like our parents.

But--I can no longer use this as an excuse to continue down this path. It is up to me to go the way I want to go--and the way I do that is by the choices I make. Every choice I make is a conscious decision to change my life.

No more living on auto-pilot!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #15  

Girlygirl, you are right on.

Some eat because they don't feel worthy of feeling their best and looking their best. Some eat because they are depressed and not in a mindset of health and wellbeing. Some eat like I did--because I didn't see myself as a priority. The reasons people are overeat are as vast as the day is long. Nurse, you need to go back to nursing school.