Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #1  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Default Scale is moving . . . the wrong way!

I started Atkins again on Jan 1. This is not my first time on the plan. The last time I was on Atkins, I lost 100 pounds in 9 months. It was easy and the weight came off fast. This time, I don't know what I am doing wrong.

At the end of each day, I go to bed proud to have stayed on plan. I congratulate myself for having a PERFECT eating day. I get up the next morning and get on the scale and low and behold, I have gained weight. I don't understand why. I feel better than I did before, no cravings, no random pains, but GAINING?

I know you all appreciate how much emotional energy goes into losing weight. The hopes, the fears . . . but I have to tell you, when I see the scale going up instead of down, I just want to give up. Whats the point if I am only gaining weight? If I am going to gain weight controling carbs, the amounts I eat, the frequency I eat, if I am going to gain weight as I would if I was just eating what I wanted when I wanted, I am wondering if it's worth it.

I know I have been perfect on plan. I just want to cry. Here comes the whinning ... THIS ISNT FAIR! IT's not my TOM, that finished last week.

Any suggestions to keep me from losing hope and giving up? Cause honestly, I am about out of hope.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Calm down. Breathe. It's gonna be okay. Though I certainly understand your frustration. But you MUST be a little more patient. You're only 2 weeks into this, give it some time. It takes time for a body to adjust to such a drastic change some times.

And just how much weight gain are we talking here? Are you exercising? That's a great way to pump up your weight loss.

And what would giving up do for you? Certainly not aide you in losing weight. Not one little bit. Giving up would result in weight GAIN, not LOSS.

Just one other thought. You said you did real well on Atkins in the past. But apparently you couldn't stick with it. Are you sure this is the right plan for you?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #3  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

I stuck to Atkins for a long time after the weight came off. Then My fiance developed a drinking and later drug problem . . . I spend so much time taking care of him, worrying, cying, begging him to stop . . . well, I stopped taking care of me trying to take care of him. When I finally ended the relationship and joined Al Anon, I had gained weight back. Im not proud of it, but it's back. Atkins does work for me, when I let it. I got so lost in taking care of him that I forgot to take care of me.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

2 things 1. up your fibre are you getting 30g a day? unless you have enough fibre to push it out what you eat will just sit there and will affect the scales.

the second every 10 days or so on the atkins i'd have a carb binge just one day where i'd eat anything in sight. what i'd usually find is that the following day i'd be up a few pounds but then it would start coming off again and about 3 days later i'd be lighter than pre binge and it would carry on going.

this is risky and not recommended i did it as an experiment because the weight loss stopped around day 10.

also the problem i found with atkins is that you become accusomted in the early stages to expecting very rapid weightloss. this really isn't practicle nor is it healthy. perhaps your body is saying hang on this isn't right and holding onto the pounds. but it wont last keep at it.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell View Post
I stuck to Atkins for a long time after the weight came off. Then My fiance developed a drinking and later drug problem . . . I spend so much time taking care of him, worrying, cying, begging him to stop . . . well, I stopped taking care of me trying to take care of him. When I finally ended the relationship and joined Al Anon, I had gained weight back. Im not proud of it, but it's back. Atkins does work for me, when I let it. I got so lost in taking care of him that I forgot to take care of me.
It's not a matter of proud or not proud. Weight gain is something we've all gone through and will continue to go through. It's incredibly easy to get caught up in someone else's "stuff" that we sometimes to forget to take care of our own - stuff. Just a little less focus and - boom - the weight is back.

Okay, so you like Atkins! That's GREAT that you've found something that works for you. But don't you think you're being a bit hard on yourself? 2 weeks isn't all that long. HANG TIGHT. Try giving yourself another 2 weeks. The weight is bound to come off. If after another 2 weeks with no results, and I don't think that will be the case, you can tweak it at that point. BUT NO GIVING UP, ya hear?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-14-2009 at 08:56 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I agree with Robin about not giving up! It would do you no good what so ever to just up and quit because of a stupid number. Just keep doing what you are doing if Atkins fits in your life.

Maybe start taking measurements too?
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #7  

I remember trying akins way back in the day when it first came out, and I clearly remember not losing my first month, and in the second month I made up for it big time! After than my weight loss evened out... But alas I soon fell off the wagon & gained it all back & thats why years later I'm still at the weight I am. This won't happen to you! If you did it the first time, I know you can do it again! Just keep doing what you're doing.

Another hint, don't weigh everyday, just once a week. Weighing everyday and not seeing a loss is a big disappointment, but weighing once a week & actually seeing your loss as a whole is a huge motivator!!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I agree with many of the things others have already said.

First up DON'T GIVE UP!

Second, increase your're fiber. If you don't want to do it by eating fiber-rich foods then take a supplement.

Third - exercise

Fourth - take measurements and don't weigh in except maybe twice a week, especially if it's becomming a detourrent for you.

Fifth - I don't know what your water intake is but WATER WATER WATER!

Hang in there, it will start moving again. As someone else once told me, amazing things happen when you let go of scale expectations.

Last edited by S.A.S.H; 01-14-2009 at 10:01 AM.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 249.9/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Don't give up! You CAN do this, and you will. When I weighed in the other day, I was a bit disappointed to only see a .5 loss, when I have been on plan and exercising everyday, but instead of grabbing cookies, I sucked it up and got on my treadmill. I will only weigh in once a week. I am not going to worry about the scale too much, because I know I am eating well and exercising, and losing inches.

We are all here to support you!
autumns19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I'd also ask if you're getting enough sleep--7 to 8 hours per night, every night. I let myself slip on this habit in October, and despite doing everything else in my plan correctly, I only lost 0.5 pounds that month. However, when I maintain my good sleep habit, I can expect to lose 5 to 10 pounds in a month, doing pretty much the same stuff.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

If you go another week without loss use dailyplate or fitday and check your calories. One of the issues with Atkins is that you can eat a lot of high calorie food without even noticing.

Are you still on induction?
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote