General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Giving a 17 yr old up for adoption

As many of you know, my DD became a nurse a few years ago. She works in a pediatric oncology. They got a 17 yr old girl in a few months ago. When she was diagnosed with cancer, her parents gave her up for adoption. When I heard this, my first thought was that perhaps they can't afford the treatment and by giving her up, the state will take over her care. Then I began to think that she is better off without them. My DD said they were seldom around for her treatments. They seemed to act like it was a big inconvenience to bring her in for treatments. Maybe she is better off but I would think her heart is broken.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

wow, that is horrible, her parents should be jailed for abandonment. what sorry people.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Wow. I can't even imagine. That is crazy.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

That's cruel.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

This sounds insane.........almost like selling a car when it gets to the point of breaking down.........people are people not cars!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

That is so sad, poor girl. Goes to prove just because someone can have a child doesn't make them a parent.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #7  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

omg... That's just ridiculous.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 364/353/165

Height: 5'6"

I can't even imagine, I have tears in my eyes reading this. That poor girl!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

It is pitiful but you know the sad part is that nothing wont happen to the parents. I bet that if something actually gave their child a spanking in that state(a spanking not a beating mind you.) they would be in jail for sure.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglez View Post
It is pitiful but you know the sad part is that nothing wont happen to the parents. I bet that if something actually gave their child a spanking in that state(a spanking not a beating mind you.) they would be in jail for sure.
Other than loathing, I don't see how anything can happen to the parents. They did everything through legal means. That doesn't mean that they are nice people. We're in Calif. and you can believe that a spanking can get you into trouble in some areas.

When my DD was little she had a doll that had lost 1 arm. We were in a dr. office with that doll. My DD took her everywhere and had outfits for every season. A lady saw her doll and asked me why I didn't throw that doll away and buy her a new one. I didn't think my DD was listening. She got all up in arms and said, "NO! Would you throw your baby away if it lost an arm?!" That lady looked at me and said, "I guess she told me. Didn't she?" I should have known that she was destined to be a nurse or something like that from an early age.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #11  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Height: 5'7"

That is terrible. Just terrible.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #12  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

How sad.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #13  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

How sad. Maybe a local Sparrow Club or someone will "adopt" her?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Can we back up a second here?

I'd never condemn a parent "giving up" on a sick child. But I would like to point out that we know nothing about the circumstances this family is in or what would cause them to take that kind of action. Particularly in the current economic climate, we have no idea what circumstances led them to their decision.

I know of a couple who were basically condemned of abandoning their child during medical treatments...they were both working two jobs trying to keep the medical benefits and make enough money to pay for her care, and so couldn't be at the hospital with her. To parents desperate to figure out a way to balance expensive medical costs, other kids at home who also need to be cared for and fed and taken care of, etc, this might be the only feasible option.

I'd never defend someone who actually said "Well, this kid is sick, so I guess we don't want her anymore". But I would hate for us to be sitting here judging these parents when we have no idea what they're going through that led them to the decision they made.

I hope that girl has people around her during this rough time, though, parents or otherwise...what a hard thing to go through alone.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #15  
No description available.

I would think (hope?) there is more to the story but in general this thread makes me a little uncomfortable for a few reasons.....mainly patient privacy. I know there are no names, but there's enough info that someone might be able to figure out who/what/where/when if they had a little more info.....I'm sure Mare's daughter didn't mean to break confidentiality by sharing her concerns with her mom. I guess this thread just makes me uncomfortable though. I'm weird that way.

Last edited by midwife; 01-14-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Closed Thread