Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default What are your favorite high protein snacks?

Even though I am Pre WLS I want to start eating better and I am working out so I am trying to up the amount of Protein I take in.
So I was wondering what are your favorite High Protein snacks and meal recipes? Are there some protein sources you can not eat?
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #2  
=D

Low calorie, high protein (11gms) - can of tuna. 95 grams. Its tuna with tomato and basil. It it 61 calories for a can. My fave snack right now.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #3  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

I figure I will answer my own question..LOL
I love cheese sticks, anytime I eat an apple I have one. Luna Bars and Fresh Ground Almond butter (a store near us has a grinder and it is only $4,95 a pound which is not bad because it is 100% almond paste)
I have also found a great deal on the Quaker "Weight Control" instant oatmeal, it is 7g of protein and 160 calories,, I mix it with one of my sugarfree 100 calorie 1g protein instant oatmeals and put in a teaspoon of almond paste, it is a yummy hot snack with fiber and protein for under 350 cals.
I also like hummus, I take a can of garbonzo beans (chick peas) drain and rince them and then put them and about 2 heeping tablespoons of sesame tahini and a tablespoon of any oil, put them in the food processor and add lemon and seasonings to taste and to adjust the consistancy. It is yummy with pita bread or as a spread on sandwiches in place of mayo.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Hey Spooky, go up to the top of weight loss surgery and you will see a thread about protein grams and helps. Lots of proteins and their counts. One of my favorites, right now, is ricotta cheese with a few drops of English Toffee stevia mixed in and then alternated with sugar free chocolate pudding. Like a parfait. I like shrimp. I put some frozen in a little container in the frig before I go to bed and if I get "proteiny" the next day (usually around 4:00 p.m.) I have the shrimp with cocktail sauce. I make the sauce by mixing low carb ketchup with horseradish. I make my own greek style yogurt and mix that with a flavored stevia and a couple of tbsps. of BareNaked granola or homecanned no added sugar fruit. In the morning, I freeze about a 1/2 c. of the yogurt with frozen strawberries, blueberries, etc. Then when my DH is pigging out of his NA sugar ice cream with sugar alcohols, I add a little banana and a drizzle of SF carmel ice cream topping and that's a banana split for me. I also nosh on Atkins bars. Be careful because the ones that I use are low in sugar, high in fiber, no sugar alcohol and low in carbs and there are some that are not. I too make my own hummus with tahini paste, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and paparika. Eat this with pork rinds or veggies. I also eat lemon-pepper tuna in the foil pack. I also make all kinds of bites that I get from eggfaces blog; my favorites are the swiss-bacon bites. KO has a good mini meatloaf recipe. I also make many SF cheesecakes. How many carbs does the Quaker "Weight Control" oatmeal have? I get an oatmeal that is made by Muscle Milk and it is pretty good mixed with yogurt.

Last edited by nanj; 01-12-2009 at 11:00 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #5  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanj View Post
Hey Spooky, go up to the top of weight loss surgery and you will see a thread about protein grams and helps. Lots of proteins and their counts. One of my favorites, right now, is ricotta cheese with a few drops of English Toffee stevia mixed in and then alternated with sugar free chocolate pudding. Like a parfait. I like shrimp. I put some frozen in a little container in the frig before I go to bed and if I get "proteiny" the next day (usually around 4:00 p.m.) I have the shrimp with cocktail sauce. I make the sauce by mixing low carb ketchup with horseradish. I make my own greek style yogurt and mix that with a flavored stevia and a couple of tbsps. of BareNaked granola or homecanned no added sugar fruit. In the morning, I freeze about a 1/2 c. of the yogurt with frozen strawberries, blueberries, etc. Then when my DH is pigging out of his NA sugar ice cream with sugar alcohols, I add a little banana and a drizzle of SF carmel ice cream topping and that's a banana split for me. I also nosh on Atkins bars. Be careful because the ones that I use are low in sugar, high in fiber, no sugar alcohol and low in carbs and there are some that are not. I too make my own hummus with tahini paste, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and paparika. Eat this with pork rinds or veggies. I also eat lemon-pepper tuna in the foil pack. I also make all kinds of bites that I get from eggfaces blog; my favorites are the swiss-bacon bites. KO has a good mini meatloaf recipe. I also make many SF cheesecakes. How many carbs does the Quaker "Weight Control" oatmeal have? I get an oatmeal that is made by Muscle Milk and it is pretty good mixed with yogurt.
I think it is a little high in carbs http://www.quakeroats.com/products/o...utritionalInfo
But it is a once in a while treat for me as I dont eat it often, I save it for those times after working out in the winter where I am freezing cold and want a sweet snack. I add a sugarfree oatmeal pack to it and sometimes chop up apples in it.
I know there are going to be a lot of things I can't eat that I love once i have the surgery, at least for quite a while and then in moderation only and yeah that is hard to deal with, especially the idea of giving up eating as much fruit as I do for a while, I love apples and eat a banana after each work out.
I guess I will learn more about it as I go.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #6  

"I know there are going to be a lot of things I can't eat that I love once i have the surgery". Well.....maybe somethings. If there is something that I can't "live" without, I have tried to find a way to make it fit the high protein low carb diet. I eat pizza, well my form of pizza, a low carb tortilla with pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, etc. and cheese. Ice cream: I make protein ice cream with FF Half and Half, SF pudding, splenda, and a scoop of protein powder. I make a five minute chocolate cake in a mug, of course altered, cheesecake, etc. I don't eat anything white: white flour, white rice, white sugar, white pasta, white bread. Some of it doesn't turn out, but there are tons of things and ways to try it out. These were my NUTs rules, no sugar over 2 grams, not over 10 grams of fat, for me 80-90 grams of protein a day, and 64 oz of water or more a day. I have to be careful about carbs, because it goes straight into my blood and actually make me very hungry and tired in a short period of time. My suggestion to all newbies and want-to-bes, find a plan before you get your WLS that goes with your type of WLS and keep to that plan. I started SBD, loosely, a month before I had the surgery and lost 19 lbs before. My DH lost 40 lbs on it last summer and has kept it off. I'm prone to belly fat and try to eat on the low-glycemic scale and low carb. I had to come to a realization that I can't be completely carb free because my brain needs carbs, but I sure as heck eat better quality of carbs than I used too.

Last edited by nanj; 01-13-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

<sniff sniff> you guys don't need me anymore!!!! you're all grown up and KNOW SO MUCH!!!!! WOW, NAn!!!

One more thing, Spooky. your tastes will change as you go along, and, especially at the beginning, WATCH THE CARBS!!! i've dumped on chick peas. so i developed a rule of thumb - and didn't eat anything that had more carb grams than protein grams. and didn't eat anything that had more than 15 grams of carbs per serving [and that's MY SIZE serving, not the whatever serving size that's listed in the nutritional information].

hope this helps!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Favorite on the go snack Turkey pepperoni and Laughing cow cheese together or not
String Cheese!!! it's a life safer post op
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #9  

Default Ko and Jiffy

KO: DITTO! I've got my grandkids eating the "hot pepperoni" which is a spicy turkey pepperoni. I'm on a budget and go to Big Lots every week and have tried every one of their canned fish under a dollar. I'm a cheap date!!! Some of it is good and some of it is so bony and fishy, all I have succeeded in doing is stinking up my car. I carry forks with me to dig in. I'm always finding my granola there. Just watch the outdates. I wish I hadn't told any of my friends about the Atkin bars there because they are all gone! Darn it! I buy a lot of my SF crystal lite there also. Hate they stuff, but now need it to drink down my water. Oh....and the original turkey jerky there is very good.

JiffyP: We can't do without you and you know it. I need your voice of reason and you usually throw in a nugget of wisdom that we all of completely overlooked. Don't think you can just up an retire from us and sit in you little rocker and KNIT! LOL!!! By the way, how was the knitting convention?

I also like the PB&J peanut butter. My DH has decided that a plain rice cake and the chocolate PB&J is a good treat when he is craving chocolate. But, I'm afraid I'll have to take out a loan for PB&J if he really starts to go nuts on it. I love a tsp of it when I'm slurping down my chai tea.

Oh, I'm so gabby. Oh, the little lady told me a joke last night: "How are old ladies and dog poo alike?" They are both easy to pick up!!! I so appreciate this little lady. She has been in a wheelchair since she was 17 y/o old and she is the most up-beat person I know. Her prognosis is poor but she makes the best of things. I introduced the subject of Hooters to her the other night and the next day she could tell me everything about Hooters because she looked it up on the computer and it is a real chore for her to work the computer. She informed me last night that she thinks it would be hard to serve drinks THAT way. I laughed till I cried. I thank God everyday for leading me to this job. Funny thing is, we went to school together, in the same class for three years, rode the same bus, know the same people, but can't remember each other!

Didn't mean to hijack this thread! Sorry!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan! You make me laugh Lady!! I wish we were neighbors!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO View Post
Favorite on the go snack Turkey pepperoni and Laughing cow cheese together or not
String Cheese!!! it's a life safer post op
turkey pepperoni in the microwave. Nuke it so it gets crispy like a chip OMG !!!

I also love deviled eggs.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Egg salad. I LOVE me some egg salad! Just eggs and mayo--I'm easy (I'm pre-op, but I have to eat low carb anyway due to diabetes.)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

i put salsa in my egg salad and deviled eggs. just spoon it onto a small pad of paper towels beforehand to get rid of some of the water. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #14  

When I decided to have the surgery, I found a protein powder: Gladiator at smoothie king: It has 45 gr. of protein in it. I drink a couple a day.
I like the vanilla the best. They also have protein snacks.
Diane
dianek is offline   Reply With Quote