General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #1  

Default I am so nervous...meeting "online date".

So...I had decided I was going to lose 10 lbs before I tried online dating...I swore it. But...I signed up prematurely. I guess I'm lonely...tired of doing everything by myself...going to the movies by myself, shopping by myself, avoiding "sit down" restaurants because I have no one to go with, coming home to an empty house every day with noone but my dog. :/

Ok. Well, now I've met this seemingly awesome guy off there, we've been talking a lot through AIM for like 3 weeks...some nights for 3+ hours. He just seems like such a cool guy, we have a lot in common. He's never met anyone off "the internet" before...I have(they didn't go incredibly well). Met two guys off the internet...one lead to a short relationship of two months, the other we never spoke after that meeting. But we didn't exchange so much time and communciation those times, they went meet online, talk online, talk on the phone and meet in person---usually all within a week and a half. I know it was foolish of me to let myself get so attached to this *one* guy without having even met him in real life yet...

So he wants to meet this week. Great, right? I'm excited...I know it's silly, but I feel so self-concious about myself! Like what if he's disappointed with me? Years of being overweight has really taken a toll on my self-esteem. I know I've made so much progress though...I really do feel "pretty" and "accomplished" when I wear some of my new outfits...but then I start thinking of the fact that *he* doesn't know how far I've come. He doesn't know all I've gone through. He doesn't know that I'm in a near constant state of transition--always working towards a goal.

I know. If he's not into me the way I am, he's not worth it and I shouldn't give him another thought. I also realize that *I* might not like *him* when I meet him. This is stressful! Ahh!!! lol
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Meeting someone from the internet is strange.

We already "know" these people somewhat, just not in person, and there's the fear that they won't like us... or that they'll be radically different from what we think they are.

But there are some really nice people out there. I met my husband online (from a gaming community). My sister met hers online (from a chat room).

They're not all fairy tales. And sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince.

Be safe. You're meeting in a VERY public place, right? And you won't be going anywhere private? This is important!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #3  

Oh yeah, definately. Starbucks! lol
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #4  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

It IS stressful. I think the best thing to do is try to put yourself in a state of mind that- whatever happens happens. I know it's hard. I don't understand though if you guys are really connecting and you've been talking for a while- why didn't you just let him know that you are in transition?

I met my hubs on the internet so I do know that it can work out and be successful. Just gotta be careful and go slowly- you never know what you're going to wind up with until you meet and that goes both ways!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinako View Post
Oh yeah, definately. Starbucks! lol
Whew, good

It'll be fine! I know it's strange to talk about things similarly to how one talks online. It's different... as much as we aren't trying to be different... it just is.

So, put on something that makes you feel comfortable and confident and then just chat & have fun with it. It'll be if it's meant to be.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #6  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Good luck, Jhinako, and let us know how it goes!

I know several couples who have met online and have gotten married, and are doing fine. I'm like you though...I've thought for years about joining online dating sites and wouldn't because I was afraid that if I met someone I clicked with, I wouldn't be able to stand the look of disappointment in his eyes I was sure I'd see when we first met. I was overweight my whole life, and like you, had very low self esteem. I joined some dating sites before I started losing weight and at first, wouldn't upload a photo. As I grew more confident, I added photos and added more info to my profile. I started getting some responses, from "chubby chasers" and the more weight I lost, the less attention I am getting on this particular site! I'm guessing because I make it clear that I am following a healthier lifestyle and want to get smaller, so no more chubby chasers. Which doesn't bother me a bit. I wouldn't want someone who would lose his attraction to me if I gained weight, but I wouldn't want someone who would lose his attraction to me because I lost weight either. On a happier note, I may be getting less attention from men online, but more in real life!

Sorry to hijack your thread, Jhinako, I"m not trying to make it "about me", honest. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in feeling self-conscious. As Lizzie says, try to adopt the feeling that whatever happens, happens. I'm trying to do the same thing myself.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ookpik; 01-11-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinako View Post
Like what if he's disappointed with me? Years of being overweight has really taken a toll on my self-esteem. I know I've made so much progress though...I really do feel "pretty" and "accomplished" when I wear some of my new outfits...but then I start thinking of the fact that *he* doesn't know how far I've come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookpik View Post
.....I've thought for years about joining online dating sites and wouldn't because I was afraid that if I met someone I clicked with, I wouldn't be able to stand the look of disappointment in his eyes I was sure I'd see when we first met. I was overweight my whole life, and like you, had very low self esteem.

"if he doesnt accept you at your worst, he doesnt deserve you at your best"

Good Luck Jhin!!

Last edited by Twice; 01-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Hey I met my bf of 3 years on Plenty of Fish (online dating site). I was incredibly nervous the very first time..lol I barely spoke...

Just remember to meet in a public place, always tell someone where you're going but it's better to take someone with you. My bf when we first began dating was giving me some tips on meeting someone (he works with computers) and one of them was to ask for their drivers license..make sure they are who they say they are. You never know with the online thingy!
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I met my BF of 2 years online. We talked online for about 2 years before meeting in person and our first meeting wasn't what I would call perfect. We ended up talking on the phone for about 6 months after that first meeting before trying the in-person thing again. We've been inseperable ever since our 2nd meeting.

So.....

Even if it doesn't pan out at first, it may just be a timing thing, you never know. Relax, have fun, and be safe!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Hi, I have been in a great relationship for seven years with a man I met on line. We had communitcated on line and on the phone for a month before we met in person, it was like we knew each other already, took the nervousness away.

Good luck and just be yourself.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #11  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

My boyfriend and I met through the internet. He and I have been together over three years now and we are very happy. I talked to him just like you for hours and hours on end before we actually met.
My cousin met her boyfriend on the internet as well and they now live together.
Good luck & hope everything works out for you!!!
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #12  
Just Beachy

S/C/G: 183/137/120

Height: 5'2"

I've had friends that have met their boyfriend's online. One really annoyed me because her first encounter with her BF was at her apartment at like 1 am! Did not think that was smart, but they were together for 4 years...
I think meeting people online is a lot more common than we realize these days, but most people are embarrassed to admit to it.
Good Luck and I'm sure you look beautiful!!!! Make sure you let us know how it goes!!!
AlphaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #13  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Did you meet him yet? HOw'd it go???
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Yeah! I was wondering the same thing.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I used to doubt meeting folks online would work out. However, a friend of mine met a great guy--really and truly. It turned out they were both Catholic and had both finished university at the same school. He has a great profession, and is all real--and so is she. I am so happy for them.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote