Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #1  

Default I cannot control my eating of junk food

Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.
lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

First - quit eating fast food. There is little nutrional value in that food and doesn't feed your body. Start packing your lunches and dinner if need be. Go to the gym on your lunch break - yes really they'll be fine for an hour without you. Eat whole grains, veggies, fruits. Stress and lack of sleep are two big causes for overeating so you need to identify your causes and deal with them.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Excellent advice in the first reply - follow it. And as far as junk food goes, it's not only junk but the more you eat it, the more you crave it.

As far as "can't," you need to remove that word for your vocabulary or, at the very least, revisit it. Is it that you "can't" stop eating junk at the office or that you "won't?" Is it that you "can't" find time for exercise or you "won't?"
It's 90% mental. If you're not committed, you'll never change your habits. (Ask me how I know.)

If you find that you truly CAN'T stop eating junk, that's another animal. At that point, you may want to consider seeking professional help for a possible eating disorder. (Ask me how I know that, too.)
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Height: 5'6"

I have an entire bottom drawer of my desk dedicated to healthier snacks and options. Whole grain crackers, some protein bars, water, canned soups and veggies... These are not my regular lunch, but a back up plan in case I am disorganized and can't/don't bring in whole food to eat. Having some healthier snacks helps to prevent me from going into the ravenous mode of thinking where I make stupid decisions.
I am also an open person so I have told people in the office that I am on a diet and intend to lose 60lbs. This kind of gets them on my side, and people regularily ask how I am doing. They try my strange new healthier foods and generally root for me. I know this would not work for everyone, but I like the level of accountability. It also explains, without explanation, why I don't indulge in the office donuts, or go to the French bakery with the really cute pastry chef down the street (and yes, I swear he is the entire reason I gained 60 lbs)
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #5  
Success with TNL

Hi Lawson,
Thought I'd share what is working for me. I, too, was addicted to junk food, couldn't get enough of it. Since November, I have been listening to TNL self hypnosis CD's and I no longer crave or care to eat the junk. For me it has 'fixed' the food addiction in my head. It's not the route for everyone, but it sure works for me. Good luck and success in whatever you choose to do to make that big change.
Shirley
SisuInWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #6  

You are the only one who controls what goes in your mouth. Everyone has given good advice, but you are the one who has to implement it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #7  

This is a shot in the dark, but is it possible that your habits are trying to tell you something about your lifestyle? Perhaps you're out of balance ... too much work and stress, not enough time to meet your health or emotional needs? That's how I gained a bunch of weight once.

I like the idea of a back-up meal at work, something nutritious and non-perishable. A slow cooker helps those busy days, too ... fill it up with healthy stuff, turn it on low, and come home to a dinner ready to eat.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #8  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

What types of food (other than fast food) do you like? Sometimes there are unhealthy foods that can be altered or jazzed up to a healthy, yet still tasty version.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/145

You said that you are addicted to fast food...so are there particular foods that you feel that you just have to have, or is it more of a convenience thing? Are you really stressed out at work or at home and feel that you are turning to fast food for comfort? Do you buy the food from an on-site cafeteria, drive to get it, or is it delivered? Have you tried to resist your cravings? I think that you have to get down to the reason WHY you are turning to fast food, and then you can come up with a plan of attack.
babes315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm another one with an emergency stash of healthy foods everywhere. In my drawer at work, in my purse, in my car - I am never without a healthy snack.
I like calorie counting - it is easy, free, and gives me the most flexibility.

Also - if fast food is a trigger for you - DON'T eat it! Seriously - eliminate foods that cause you to overeat. Bring your lunch with you - I eat at my desk most days (never take time for lunch) - but I always eat a very healthy lunch that came in my briefcase. This week's favorite lunch is a pita pocket with baby spinach, broccoli slaw, feta, craisins, walnuts, and MSF chicken strips. I added a clementine and string cheese to round out the meal - YUM! Took less than 2 minutes to put together and put in my briefcase. I added Wasa cracker, Laughing Cow wedge, baby carrots, an English muffin with natural peanut butter - and my lunch and snacks were set for the day - less than 4 minutes total preparation time.

You CAN exercise -even with a crazy schedule. There are 24 hours in every day - and we all chose how we will spend them. I have been known to do yoga on a break at work - do laps around the halls, shoulder presses while I am waiting for a file to download, you get the idea. I park a couple blocks from my office and walk the rest of the way - I park at the far edge of the parking lot when I shop. I adore the 10 Minute Solution DVD videos - you can do segments in 10 minute increments. Get up 10 minutes earlier and slide one in (20 minutes will get you two). Another 10 minutes when you get home from work.

Last edited by CountingDown; 01-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

I came in to say that it seems that you are getting your joy from food. If you're working so much, maybe you need to find something else that brings you joy that you can do while at work. We all require a certain amount of "happy" and food is one way to get "happy". Food tastes good! Maybe bring a manicure kit and take your usual food break to make your hands look really pretty? Get a book that you enjoy and read during the time that you would run out to get food? That would bring some joy and make the temptation to find that joy through junk food less tempting.

Just my 2 cents...
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I would like to add that if your diet consists mainly of foods that are highly processed and with little nutritional value-that you are going to be HUNGRY even though you are eating way too much of it.

The reason for that is because even though you are eating loads of calories and fat...your body is "starving". It is getting plenty of calories, but it isn't getting the nutrition that it needs, and your body will continue to send hunger cues because it is needing something. This is why you can't eat an entire bag of oranges or apples...but you CAN eat an entire bag of chips or a box of donuts.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #13  

Lightbulb

Wow, Aphil, thank you for the insight. I never realized that nutrition-less food will leave you still hungry.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 395/303/264

Height: 5'4

Thanks Aphil. I never looked at eating that way. Now when I think back, I remember there were times after I had eaten junk food, I was still hungry. And I would keep eating.

Now that I calorie count and leave out processed foods, I don't have the crazy cravings I used to get. That could be the reason behind your "love" of junk food. Once your body gets used to it, you crave it. Once you break the cycle, it's entirely manageable.
Fungirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote