Old 01-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #1  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Default New semester, new changes.

So, tomorrow is my first day of the new semester at college. In my third year, I have been vowing to myself since I started college I was going to lose the weight. Alas, I managed to somehow gain 20-25lbs during college thanks to living on campus for 2 years, eating the food on campus and easy access to alcohol. (The freshmen "15" lol)

Anyway, since my schedule will be changing starting tomorrow, I wanted to find out what you guys think of my new plan to continue my weight loss. I've lost 16lbs so far trying various diet plans but I've recently realized I can't "diet" for the rest of my life. I now understand if I want to lose the weight and keep it off I need to change my lifestyle of eating and I need to make good habits for myself at each meal.

I decided that for my meals I will eat the following. Please let me know your thoughts on this:

Breakfast:
Slimfast optima + yogurt and a piece of fruit. (Not really a morning person, wasn't ever one to eat breakfast but I notice if I don't eat breakfast I snack throughout the day.)

Lunch: Nutrigrain bar + fruit or veggies serving

Dinner: Some type of protein, veggies + some type of starch

I'm trying to keep my lunch and breakfast consistent throughout the week because I have classes 8am-2pm Monday Wednesday and Friday and I will be working Tuesdays and Thursdays all day.

I also plan on going to the gym for at least 30 minutes Monday Wednesday and Fridays.

Hope you guys all have a great week!
Thanks for your help!
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #2  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

erica,
I started school on Monday, and I cant believe i actually made it through the first week with no cheating ! the first day was the hardest bc I didn't bring any snacks. So, i suggest may be adding some low calorie snacks or fruits for in between classes? i know that for me, if I need a snack and am in school, I will head for those damn vending machines and get something unhealthy...so now I am carrying little 100 pack bags of snacks
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Hmm... sounds like a healthy start, but there may not be enough calories there. Try putting an example day into a calorie counter and find out if it's over 1200, minimum.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #4  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Thats interesting because I notice that when I get bored or uninterested I start thinking about eating so I plan on keeping lots of water with me to keep my mouth busy lol.
I'm not looking forward to having to write 6 papers simultaneously at once.
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

That looks like a great start! I agree that you should put your selections into a calorie counter to make sure you are getting at least 1200 calories. Adding in some lean protein at lunch couldn't hurt either. Perhaps instead of the Nutri-Grain bar, you could try a meal bar that has more protein and fiber in it, which will help you feel fuller longer. When I was in the grocery store the other day, I was looking at a kid nutrition bars called "Nutripals", which has 1/2 of a serving of fruit in each bar, and it said that they contain 4 times the amount of fruit of a Nutri-Grain bar. So it looks like Nutri-Grain bars have just 1/8 of a serving of fruit! If you really like the taste of Nutri-Grain bars and it will help you stick to your plan, then go for it, but if you are just eating them because you think they are healthy, I think you could get more bang for your calories with something else. Good luck!
babes315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #6  
Math Tutor Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 330/309/150

Height: 5'9"

I'm starting back in about two weeks and starting back to work at the same time (I tutor math on campus), so I know how you feel.

Based on your weight, I don't think you have nearly enough food there. According to the calculator at freedieting.com you should be eating 2000 calories a day at minimum. I also wonder if a slimfast is going to be enough to carry you through the morning.

I think you need to bring more snacks. Try things like baby carrots, fruits, graham crackers, etc. For lunch eat something more filling, or you will be starving before dinner. Do you eat meat? Make a quick sandwhich in the morning, get some bagged salads, etc.

I plan on getting a bento box an some stainless steel food containers to carry food with me (I'm cutting plastic out of my life). Maybe you should try something similar. I want to get some newman's own products for snacking whenever I have a chance. I'm also going to try full bars since my schedule doesn't give me a chance for a full meal until I get off work at 8:00 pm (or out of class at 6:40 pm if it is mon/wed).

It is good that you are planning!
BelovedImzadi is offline   Reply With Quote