Looking for advice on the pros and cons of these diet plates:

ezweightplate.com

thedietplate.com

thebalanceplate.com

Thanks so much for you help.
KaiaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #2  
it's always something

I haven't tried any, but I've also not heard from anyone that used them and found them helpful. The same thing can be done without investing in a plate by visually portioning your food onto your plate, or by using a disposable plate with portions.

Portion size is important, but can be figured by using measuring cups. But also important is what you are measuring, and the plates don't really address that in any way other than a list of suggestions - which you don't need the plate to use.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has used a diet plate
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

I have a set of portioned tupperware type dishes and food containers that have a gel in the bottom for keeping the food cold. These were sold a few years ago in my grocery store and marketed as a healthy eating or diet type strategy for lunch on the go. I don't remember the brand but they don't sell them anymore. I like them but don't use them much as I travel less on my job these days. The idea of these is something like Japanese bento boxes, they are portioned to make it easy to know exactly how much of a food you are eating and there are some snack dishes and a glass also. Makes packing lunch a snap for "dieters." They aren't useful for me in other applications than packing lunch for work day travel, though.

I've seen the "My Diet Plate" web site. I actually think these might help some people and I bought one once but I don't know where it is anymore. I thought it was a good idea, though, and it was attractive and special to me for a time.

The best way for me, though, as a person who lives alone is to cook full size recipes on Sunday and portion them out in freezer containers for the week and I log nutritional info in the recipe portion of my nutritional software, so I only have to heat and eat and click one serving into my log.

I think the diet plate idea might be nice for someone who is cooking for a big family as one could just fill one's special plate with the right amount of food the family is eating.

But I suspect the main rationale behind having one is the same as mine was at one time, to have something motivational and special as a part of one's "diet" journey, which is not a bad thing if it helps.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-10-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

https://www.tops.org/PlateMethod.aspx

On the tops website, under tools, they suggest doing this mentally (with any old plate).

Having a special "just for me" dieting reminder plate has appealed to me since I saw one, but instead of buying one, I decided I would like to go to one of the paint your own pottery places, and make one for myself (perhaps not any less expensive, but it's more customized and no shipping), but I just never got around to it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Kaplods, that is a really good idea.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote