Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

Default Measurements?

I know that the number on the scale isn't always the best way too judge health and weight loss, so we're supposed to take measurements. How often do the rest of you do it? I don't want to take mine too often and get discouraged when they don't change. Thanks for any advice!
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I try to measure on the first of every month, it doesn't always happen that way, so I usually end up measuring every 2 months or so...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I measure weekly. I think that ends up comparable to daily weighing in terms of seeing ups and downs. So I would go with monthly measuring if you like weekly weighing.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #4  

thanks for the advice guys
Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #5  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

What do you guys usually measure? I'm thinking waist, hips, bust (girth, not cup size)... Am I missing anything?

Also, do you guys get one of those fabric measuring tapes or do you have some trick to it?
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #6  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

And for you measurers (is that a word?) - what are the measurements 'supposed' to be? All I can think of is Sir Mix A Lot - 36, 26, 26 - only if she's 5'3"...
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

You hear/read that the "ideal" figure is 10" bigger at the bust and hips compared to the waist. Personally, I think that is just based on symmetrical math and pure nonsense. And fortunately, society is getting over the idea of one ideal figure and realizing there are lots of body types and they're all normal and beautiful.

As for what they "should" be, the only relevant measurements are in clothing size charts. Obviously, "should" isn't the right word, but from a practical standpoint, you'll have any easier time if you are similar to the designer's proportions. BUT ... all designer's use different proportions.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #8  

when i measure, i do over the bust (biggest part), and i do an under the bust measurement. i do the smallest part of the waist and the biggest part of the hips. i'm also thinking about measuring around each bicep and thigh since i've started working out more.
i use just one of those plasticy dress makers measuring tapes. they're pretty cheap. i can't even remember where i got it.
so far, i don't really have goal measurements. i'm sure i will when i lose a little more weight, but right now, it's just a way to track my progress.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #9  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I measure:
Bust
Waist
Hips
Upper thigh
Calf
Bicep
Lower arm
Neck

At the moment I am in the middle of seeing what a difference C25K makes. I measured at the beginning of the programme and I'm not measuring again until I'm at the end so I can see precisely what a difference exercise makes.

But normally I would measure monthly - there was usually enough of a change when I was still losing rather than maintaining.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote