Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default Cabbage??

I dont cook. I would like to make some cabbage, but Im not really sure how to cook it. I dont know if you can eat it raw but it doesnt sound to good to me like that. Anywho, the way I can remember eating it was as a kid with cornbeef. Im pretty sure my mom let the cabbage cook all day in some water on the stove. Is that how its supposed to cook, and if so how long do I need to let it cook for??
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Cabbage can be eaten raw (like coleslaw) or cooked. You could boil it all day, but personally I feel that boils all the flavor out of it as well.

I would google "cabbage recipes" and see what comes up. Avoiding the recipes with a lot of fat and cream sauces (obviously.) Cabbage can be steamed, boiled, sauteed, stirfried, and probably even roasted. You'll just have to experiment and see which way you like it.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Cabbage is great raw. Slice it very thinly, mix with with cooked chicken and other asian veggies, add some low calorie asian dressing and sprinkle a few chopped nuts on top and you have a great main-dish salad.

I also love cabbage in soups and stir-fried with salt, pepper, and some lean ham or turkey kielbasa. And I love corned beef and cabbage! But I wouldn't cook the cabbage all day. It cooks up pretty fast--I bet your mom just added it during the last 15 minutes or so that the corned beef was cooking.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 AM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Since you don't cook much, one of the easiest ways to prepare cabbage is to slice a wedge off the head and rinse it well-running water into a cut end so it runs through the cabbage. Shake off most of the water and leave it "whole" or cut it into bite size pieces.Put it in a microwave safe container (I use corning ware) with a cover. Don't add any more water than what's on it from rinsing. If you have a wedge about the size of your fist, microwave it for about 30-45 seconds. Check to see if it's steaming, if not cook it a little longer. I like it cooked tender crisp and I like it cooked til it's soft - but not boiled, it looses its flavor. Cabbage comes out somewhat sweet when steamed in the microwave. You can eat it plain or with a little of your favorite vinegar sprinkled on it.

Raw cabbage can be a little spicy and it's nice and crisp. If you cut it in bite-sized chunks, you can snack on it without dressing. Or try your favorite salad dressing on it and eat it as a salad.

Last edited by WebRover; 01-29-2008 at 03:49 AM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I eat raw cabbage every day. I make a red cabbage slaw that I eat several times throughout the day.

I shred the cabbage using a hand grater, add already shredded carrots that I buy in a package. I add some fresh lemon juice and a bit of splenda. Makes a great slaw and I have a low calorie, very filling, nutritious and tasty snack that keeps me satisfied.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Robin, I've never made fresh slaw but that sounds good (and easy) and I'm gonna give it a try.

I have always boiled or steamed my cabbage or tossed it in a pot of stew.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Robin...your slaw sounds great. Just lemon juice and splenda? No olive oil at all?

I personally love cabbage on tacos, instread of lettuce (especially grilled, fish tacos! Yum!

I put in my homemade chicken and veggie soup. I also make a Chinese chicken salad with it and dress it with Paul Newman's light Asian dressing.
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/150.8/130

Height: 5'3

I loove cabbage! I just boil up raw cabbage and season with seasoning salt and pepper. I make a big pot and eat on it for days!
diamondinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #9  
"Love Me Some Me"

S/C/G: H:267 C: see ticker G:150ish

Height: 5'4

My family loves cabbage. I grew up with my grandmother boiling it a lifeless and mushy pulp. Now, I saute the cabbage. I remove the outer leaves and core of the cabbage. I rise the cabbage and slice it into 1-1.5 inch slices. I heat a pan until it is almost smoking hot. I then spray the pan and add the cabbage to the pan. Sometime I add garlic, onions or green peppers to the pan. But I love just the cabbage. I shake the pan enough during cooking to keep the cabbage from burning. Just when the cabbage is starting to wilt. I will turn the heat down to about medium. I then stir the cabbage and make sure that it is not completely browning. After the cabbage has wilted just a bit, I cover the pan and turn the heat down to low to let it steam just so that cabbage does not crunch like chips. Sometimes I do not allow it to steam if I want a little more firmness and crunch. At the end of cooking, I lightly season with salt and pepper, pepper sauce or red pepper flakes. Also, sometimes I will leave the S&P out and use Cajun seasoning. This stuff is so good. It does not take long to cook at all. Do not salt cabbage during cooking . . . it makes the cabbage begin to let go of its water. YUM YUM.

I love the cabbage because it is cheap and I don't feel terrible about it devouring a small head of it at a time.
jenhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

WebRover, I never thought of cooking cabbage in the microwave! That's an excellent idea! I'm adding cabbage to my shopping list right now.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #11  

I adore cabbage and usually have a slaw similar to RockinRobin's in my fridge. Since it keeps for a few days it is a lifesaver when you are super hungry and need some bulk, plus veggies rule. I also like it roughly hand shredded and cooked with onions, garlic and Dijon mustard. Mustard and cabbage have that love chemistry thing. Add some protein like small bits of chicken which will cook as quickly as the cabbage and you have a cheap tasty filling meal in under 15 minutes. Snip some fresh herbs like parsley or dill over the top and it is really good.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #12  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

I will cook cabbage leaves in some diluted tomato soup and it ends up tasting like the cabbage leftovers from stuffed cabbage!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Robin's coleslaw sounds delish!

I steam mine on the stove, for about 8-10 mins. I cut it up in wedges and loosen them and put it in the steamer... I make the whole head and eat it for days... DH and I are the only ones that like it though, kids they just wanna ... I also add it to soups ....

Last edited by Ilene; 01-06-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I make cabbage "noodles" for anything I would have served on pasta in the old days. I just slice the cabbage really thin and either saute with a little water or microwave in a covered container. It only takes a few minutes and makes a good base for all sorts of saucy things. I also love to saute it with some garlic, fennel seeds, and a few red pepper flakes until tender crisp. Makes a tasty, very filling side dish. I love bulky veggies!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN BSN 2009 View Post
I will cook cabbage leaves in some diluted tomato soup and it ends up tasting like the cabbage leftovers from stuffed cabbage!
My mom chops up a head of cabbage (if pressed for time I bet a bag of coleslaw would also do as well), browns hamburger or bulk sausage, bungs them into a casserole together with a can of tomato soup and puts it in the oven. Mmmmm. She used to make real stuffed cabbage but now thinks it's too much work so the only time I eat the real thing is in a Lean Cuisine
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote