Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default What is going on with my... um... lower intestines?

I've been implementing a lot of changes in my diet to lose weight and get healthy. This is week #2 and my stomach hurts. I have that same feeling of bloating and gas pains that I get when I have my period. I don't know whether it's due to more water or fiber, but sheesh, there's a lot of activity happening in my gut.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do, other than take gas relief medicine? Help! I'm stinking up my house! Sorry, TMI
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 136/136/124

Height: 5'8"

It's probably just due to the increased fibre (I'm assuming you're eating more fruit, veggies, and whole grains?). It can take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the diet change. Keep drinking a good amount of water, and it should sort itself out. If not, might want to check with your doctor

Last edited by PishPosh; 01-06-2009 at 06:40 PM.
PishPosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #3  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

I have that with some veggies, its so loud its crazy,just eat one veggie at a time and find the one which sets you off.

Last edited by CyberGypsy; 01-06-2009 at 06:47 PM.
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

After years and years of eating broccoli, onions, green peppers, etc., they still all give me gas. My system never got "used" to anything. It's unfortunate!

Oh, but there may be an unknown culprit you haven't recognized. For example, it took me a few really bad, embarrassing, gas-filled weeks to realize the chocolate soy milk I was drinking was the culprit!

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Height: 5'7"

My advice:

take 2 beanos, then chew and chew and chew ... you can't chew too much!
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpossible View Post

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do, other than take gas relief medicine? Help! I'm stinking up my house! Sorry, TMI
We call that condition "Gurgly Bottom" at my house, LOL. And yes, fresh produce does that to me. I ate a lovely apple as part of my lunch today and boy, you should hear my tummy tonight!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #7  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Try some apples, that might clear you out lol
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's the fiber. It helps to go slow with increasing it

Some people have had really good result from yogurt and acidophilus supplements.

The other possible culprit is too much sugar alcohols (in anyone), and even other artificial sweeteners in some people. Things like mannitol, sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #9  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

When I began my new eating plan, I added a lot of fiber to my diet and had a similar reaction for the first couple of weeks. My body seems to have adjusted and I no longer have the bloating and discomfort. Hope your system adjusts as well!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #10  

Height: 4'11"

Thanks guys, I'm feeling somewhat better today, thanks for the suggestions too. I ate some Activia, and I will try an apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
It's the fiber. It helps to go slow with increasing it

Some people have had really good result from yogurt and acidophilus supplements.

The other possible culprit is too much sugar alcohols (in anyone), and even other artificial sweeteners in some people. Things like mannitol, sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol.
Yeah, I haven't had much artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols, because I'm eating mostly whole foods. In fact less than usual, since I haven't had any diet soda this week.

Last edited by thinpossible; 01-07-2009 at 11:41 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Just don't let this thing with the lower get you down. I have struggled with this problem so long that it is like my best friend. I just keep on keeping on and when the pains get to bearable I just sit still and pray for relief. I just do what others have mentioned daily I have an apple and yogurt. Water is something that I get an lots of. I have found that regular exercise helps in this matter as well. I can tell when I haven't worked out for 3 days in a row. Hope that things go well in this dept for you.
gigglez is offline   Reply With Quote