Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Warning about acai berry weight loss product scams

Just wanted to point this out. As I'm sure most here know, if you are going to (for some reason) try a weight-loss supplement, you should be very careful about who you buy from. Be sure to research the company via the BBB before buying.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

http://consumerist.com/5123930/caref...delicious-scam

FTA:

The BBB lists two companies that sell acai products on this business model:

FX Supplements: " The company offers a risk-free trial of their products for the cost of shipping and handling. However, if consumers do not cancel within the trial period they are sent additional bottles every month and are billed $85.90. Complaints show that the trial period fluctuates between 10 and 14 days from when the consumer requested the free trial—not from when they received the product."

Central Coast Nutraceuticals: "In the last 12 months, the BBB serving Central, Northern and Western Arizona has received more than 1,400 complaints for a company called Central Coast Nutraceuticals which operates several Web sites selling acai, hoodia and male enhancement products. The company uses Oprah-endorsements of the acai berry in ads touting its weight-loss benefits and offers a free trial of acai-related products including supplements and tea. Due to the company’s negative option, if, after the free-trial, the consumer no longer wishes to receive a monthly supply they must cancel their subscription or they will be billed $40 monthly.

The complaints against the company all tell a similar tale of how difficult it was to contact the company and cancel the subscription — including enduring 75 minutes on hold. Additionally, consumers complain of unauthorized charges on their credit card or bank accounts for products they did not order. Central Cost Nutraceuticals has earned an F grade from BBB for a large volume of unanswered and unresolved complaints."
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #2  
WaLk-iT-OuT

S/C/G: 179/160/125

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for sharing! Sometimes, I'm one of those people who get sucked in by ads like that ... scary!
misspiggy408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I refuse to take supplements anymore- they do NOT work unless you want to take them the REST of your life- and even then you'll probably die of a heart attack from them- America needs to just change how it makes food- PERIOD.

We should all move to Europe
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

Every time something new comes out the internet is flooded with these "free" promotions, and they all have the fine print of your having to give your credit card number, and being charged additional $$ if you don't cancell---you HAVE to read the fine print before you ever give your credit card to someone, especially over the internet!!!

And it is rarely easy to cancell, no matter what they say.

My heart goes out to people who get caught in these schemes, but please read the fine print and it will help you avoid them.

Instead of going for the latest fad, the tried and true is the best--find a good eating plan that works for you, get exercise and the weight should come off...
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #5  
Chicklette

S/C/G: 250/220/160

Height: 5'1

Not even less then 5 minutes ago I was reading about the Acai berry supplement and I was thing well it's free why not, then i decided I didn't want to give out my CC number and i would think about it. I went straight to this web site and clicked new post this was the only one that came up for some reason. Talk about fate I definitely won't get it now thanks!!!!
Chicklette217 is offline   Reply With Quote