Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Default Sonoma/Med January Support Thread

Happy New Year everyone. Hopefully we will all be back on track with the holidays behind us. Welcome to the newcomers. Feel free to jump right in. I am also wondering if it would be helpful to start a menu thread this month-maybe weekly. People could post their menus daily or a few times a week if that would help them feel more accountable. Let me know if there is any interest in that-Monday would probably be a good day to start with that if we are going to try it.

As for recipes-I got this one off the Sonoma Diet site this week and used some leftover turkey for it. It is awesome. Definately a wave 2 recipe though.

Turkey enchiladas (serves 12)
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp water
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp kosher salt
4 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
12 7-8 inch. whole wheat tortillas

1 can reduced sodium condensensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup light sour cream
1 cup low fat milk
2-4 tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
chopped tomato, bell pepper, cilantro (optional toppings)

Instructions:
1: For filling, in a covered saucepan cook onion in a small amount of water until tender; drain. In a medium bowl stir together cream cheese, 1 tbsp water, cumin, black pepper and salt. Stir in cooked onion, turkey, and pecans. Wrap the tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350 oven about 10 minutes or until softened or wrap in paper towels and microwave on high about 30 seconds.

2. Meanwhile, coat a 3 quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray (DON'T FORGET TO DO THIS). For each enchilada, spoon about 1/4 cup of the filling onto a tortilla; roll up. Place tortillas, seam side down in the prepared dish. Repeat for remaining filling and tortillas.

3. For sauce, in a medium bowl stir together soup, sour cream, milk, and jalapeno peppers. Pour sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar chesse, Bake, uncovered for 4-5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. If desired, top with tomatoes, sweet peppers, and cilantro.

I didn't think 1 enchilada would be enough for a meal, but with a vegetable or a salad-it is. These are awesome! They will be a favorite in my house and I suspect they would even freeze well and would make a great take along lunch to heat up. Don't be put off by the long ingredient list. They are actually easy to make. Probably took less than 30 minutes to put together.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #2  

I see we are not off to a big start this month. People have been posting goals for the year on the other thread. I have done my meal planning for the week and will do my grocery shopping today. Will set myself up for a successful week. How is everyone else doing?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #3  

Not a lot of action here so far. How is everyone doing? I'm making a new recipe tonight-Mediterranean chicken with vegetables. It's off the Sonoma website-not sure if it is in the book or cookbook. It only makes two servings so not a lot of leftovers but if I don't like it, I'm also not stuck with it for several days either. I'm also making some spiced nuts for snacking this week. I like these a lot-in fact they can be problematic if I'm not careful.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/197/150

Height: 5'4"

The mediterranean chicken sounds good! I tried a tuscan bean soup tonight that was very good with plenty left over for lunch. I really enjoy the food on this type of diet and I am up for the preperation. The most difficult thing I have is on Friday nights. It is the night I usually have a few beers with my husband after a long week. I don't really care for wine but maybe I just haven't tried the right kind. It was very hard this past Friday not have a nice winter brew!! I just have to stay focused. I wish everyone luck during this week!!
Pinkpinkycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #5  

The Mediterranean chicken was okay. I think I'm glad I only have 2 servings. Not something I am likely to make again anytime soon.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/130-125

Hi, today is my first day on the diet. I did it a couple of years ago,lost 10lbs. Since I didn't gain the weight back, I figured it was a good sign. I'm back on it, I need to lose 50-55 lbs,but I 'm not very disciplined so I'll be happy to stick to it until I lose 30lbs before I take another break.
claudfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #7  

Welcome Claudfin. The more the merrier.
Mondays are always a little challenging for me because I really can't pack my lunch. I have nowhere to eat it. I work at a nursing home that does not provide me with any workspace. I sit in the day area with the residents watching TV to do my charting-kind of ridiculous but that's the way it is. So I always go out to eat for lunch on Mondays.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #8  

Petra65 - sorry to hear the chicken wasn't so good. How did you do with Mondays lunch?

Claudfin - Welcome! I am new also and I have about the same amount to loose as you. It is encouraging to hear you have lost ten pounds and kept it off.

I hope everyone has a good day today!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #9  

Lunch was okay yesterday. It was the stupid cookie I ate for no real reason that was the problem. I did better today overall. How are you guys doing?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #10  

I did o.k. but it took all I had not eat some goodies that they put out at work today. They put the goodie table right by microwave where I have to heat up my lunch!! Petra65 the important part is that you did better overall and one cookie will not derail you! I hope everyone has a good night.....
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/219/150

Height: 5'6"

Hello, I recently found this site. I have been on the Sonoma Plan for 4 days now. I wasn't planning to do a diet, just saw the book at the Dollar store and bought it because I liked the way it looked. I got to reading it and thought it sounded like something I could actually do. I have really enjoyed it so far and it hasn't been hard at all. I need to lose around 85 pounds! I lost about half that 5 years ago and gained almost all of it back after a few years. I can't wait to weigh next week and see if I have lost any! I am counting my calories on SparkPeople (I am heatherinsc on there too) even though the book doesn't say I need to, and calorie-wise it looks like I should lose, but this doesn't feel like a diet!

The enchilada recipe sounds fantastic. I have made several recipes from the main book and am getting the cookbook from ebay. So far I have made the beef and mushroom kabobs, the stuffed green peppers someone posted here, the marinated flank steak (we made the wraps and I also had that for lunch today), and tonight I am doing the easy Balsamic chicken.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I am glad to find others who are on the plan. No one seems to have heard of it!

Heather in SC

Last edited by heatherinsc; 01-08-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling issue!
heatherinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #12  

Hi Heather! It is nice to meet you. I am glad you joined this forum there are not many of us and the more the merrier! I also count my calories on fitday.com to just to give my self an idea also as to what I am eating. I don't want to be unaware of my portion sizes and how it relates to my calories. I also don't limit my veggies and try to make most of my meals grain and bean based if I can.

I hope everyone did well this week! :carrot
Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/219/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you, Pinkpinkycat. Maybe a few more people will post here soon. This is day 5 for me, and I still feel excited about the plan and I am having no problem with it! I am so looking forward to weighing in on Monday. I am only going to weigh once a week. I hope I have lost!

Last night I did the Easy Balsamic Chicken for dinner, and I was making it in the oven rather than on a grill. It wasn't quite done when it should have been, so I put it back in and it got over done. But it was still okay. I will have to watch it better next time. What are some other good and easy meals some have been preparing for Sonoma?

I have to leave early this afternoon and won't be home until evening. I am going to try to remember to put together another one of those wraps with the veggies and leftover meat. It was so good yesterday, and I know I will be really hungry by the time I get home and get dinner ready, if I don't eat while I am out.

But I really have not been hungry between meals or craving anything.
Pretty amazing! Hope to hear from more of you Sonoma Plan people!

Heather in SC
heatherinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #14  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I started to think I was going on the south beach plan, but changed my mind....

I just like the Sonoma plan. To me it makes a lot of sense. I mean, I have been doing alot of research on the med. plan and it gets alot of good marks for it being solid, heathly plan. On the sonoma plan you get the portion control aspects. Put the two together and it is a great plan.....

anywho...nice to see everyone!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #15  

ckatgo- I agree portion control is very important. When I started to do the mediterranean diet I had trouble with portion sizes. I also read the superfoods RX book which is pretty close to a mediterranean plan and put the portion sizes used in that book to use on the mediterranean plan.