Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Talking NightengaleShane - one year of maintenance!

I feel like my weight loss is old news. Oh yeah, I lost weight... A WHOLE YEAR AGO! It is amazing how much my life has changed within this year, too. After I lost the weight, I was feeling slightly bittersweet. See, I somehow (irrationally!) thought my weight loss would end all the other problems in my life. Once I was rid of those 50 pounds, I looked better, had more clothing options with a full closet of things I could actually wear (I was thin before and refused to part ways with all those stylish clothes), was healthier, and in considerably better shape, but... I was still afraid I didn't look good. I thought that once I lost weight, I'd go attend casting calls, start modeling again, and live life fearlessly as a thin person!

Then, I realized I was STILL putting my life on hold (just like I did when I was fat) and told myself I had to STOP THAT! I was no longer overweight --in fact, I had reached my GOAL/previously THIN weight, SO I had NO EXCUSES not to do the things I wanted! After coming to that conclusion, I did the following:
-Became a certified personal trainer and nutritional consultant
-Did a fitness-related photo shoot (and there are MORE to COME!)
-Got into bodybuilding (I am entering my first official contest in October!)
-Instructed at a weekend health retreat in St. Augustine
-Got a six pack... you know, the abs kind... not the "I drank it last night so here's my keg" kind
-Started writing songs and playing guitar again
-Made a TON of new friends
...and most recently, I ended a relationship after being in it for 3.5 years. I felt it was anchoring me almost as much as my weight once was, and I don't need that.

I PLAN to do so much more, like form a band that gets further than my porch, WIN a few bodybuilding competitions, become successful as a fitness model, and continue to do as much social networking as possible. Some of these things may SOUND unrelated to my weight loss, but before my weight loss, I did not have the confidence to chat strangers up or play guitar at open mic night, and obviously, I didn't have any idea that so much of my life would revolve around physical fitness.

I'm the sort of person who believes that to succeed at something, you have to put your entire being into it. If I don't have COMPLETE passion and dedication, I will end up failing because I will lose focus. I told everyone I knew that I was going to get back to my thin weight. I had to live up to those expectations, because I didn't want to get laughed at for not following through. I started to look at everything from a weight loss perspective. I stopped hating things like household chores, carrying the groceries up the stairs, moving furniture, and washing my car because I knew those were calorie-burning activities. My now ex was really LOVING my compliant nature, as I even volunteered to scrub the tub and clean the toilet!

My advice to everyone still trying to lose weight is to remember you are PASSIONATE about your weight loss; you want this and you want it with FIERCE determination. And if you want it bad enough, you will not make excuses. Instead, you will find out how you are going to achieve your goals. Think of how good you will look when you lose your weight. If you fall off plan, don't mope about how you screwed up, just dust yourself off and remember that tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. You have plenty of time to mend whatever damage you may have done.

And if I -- someone who had no real focus in life prior to losing weight (believe it or not, I was truly very lost and felt stuck in many ways), someone who was quite financially challenged (I know it can be harder to eat healthy things when you're broke but it is not impossible), someone with an annoying chronic illness that really can interfere with weight loss progress (type 1 diabetes; when I first started getting into working out, my blood sugar would get way, wayyy low... it felt so wrong slamming a can of Coke after busting my butt for an hour stuff like that can put a total crimp in your progress), and someone who initially HATED all forms of exercise (I thought to myself, "it's TORTURE! WHY would anyone VOLUNTARILY TORTURE themselves?!") -- can do it, so can you.

Here are some very recent pictures that were taken over my Christmas vacation up to Virginia to see my family:

(My sister and I)

(My dad and I)

Here is me pre-weight-loss (if you haven't seen already):

Here is me with my size 12-14 fat pants (taken about a year ago, but it still fits!):

And here is the current status on my abs - I have a photo shoot next month and figured I'd take some practice shots:

I hope all of you meet your goals in 2009, whether they are related to weight loss, maintenance, or neither. May 2009 bring you good health, good fortune, and good... well... whatever else you want

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 01-07-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: obscenities! LOL
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Shane, What a great post! It's so good to see you maintaining and fulfilling so many of your dreams. I love the new pics. You are an inspiration here, and as you know I am wife of a type 1 diabetic, I find your story especially motivating. Keep on keeping on, girl!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #3  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/157/124

Height: 5' 3"

You're definitely a huge inspiration. I hope one day to be buff, happy and healthy.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

shane-you've done so great and im glad you made some valid points for those who feel loosing weight will solve everything..but it won't..you have to own your life to make changes...and you've owned..you look great...keep up the good work!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #5  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

You're a great inspiration to all of us, good luck and keep us posted on your body building
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

One year! I love it!

JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Grats Shane Keep it up! You're quite the positive role model!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

You look so good, so healthy! I love how you described your determination. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 01-03-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #9  
it's always something

You look fantastic! Thanks for bringing us along on your journey
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

SaWEEET!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #11  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Night,

HappyAnniversaryChicky!

You truly are an inspirational one! Your 1/2 my age, yet your so wise beyond your years, and quite an admirable young BUFF lady! Anything in life is possible, as you have proven, if you want something put in the effort and it is yours.... Look at everything you have achieved thus far in only a years time? .... WELL DONE YOU!

If you BELIEVE, you will ACHIEVE!
Keep striving for your next goal. If you don't get it the first try, keep trying until you do. Being persistent pays in the end, cha-ching!

Way to put yourself first and lose the girlfriend, negative people just bring you down. Keep positive people in your life, they help keep you upbeat and happy! Be yourself, don't change for others, be happy being YOU!

Continue to put your passion into everything you do, and more success will soon follow. There is no doubt in my mind that you will WIN some hardware in your competitions, you will be a successful entrepreneur, you are well on your way to being the next SUPERWOMAN of 2009, the model/bodybuilding kick @ss SUPERWOMAN that is! I'll keep my television tuned in for the new version of Superwoman as I won't be too shocked to see you there oneday! Keep on believing in yourself!

Nice photo's of you and sis & daddy oh too! Ahem- nice PIPES chicka, nice PIPES!
Ummmm, I felt I had to post a nice reply or you'd come kick my @ss if I didn't, and I'm not gonna take that chance!

I will end by saying, being passionately determined was my KEY to being a success in all aspects of my life! I put 100% into everything I do, no half @ss attempts will get you much success. Hardwork, blood, sweat and tears. Give it everything you got girl and you'll succeed in it all too, I'm rootin for ya! Just don't bite off more than you can chew all at once, do one thing first, then tackle another.

Congrats again, :cong rat:
~Wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!

You have grown a lot in that year, and I have enjoyed watching that growth here at 3FC.

I can't wait to see what the next year brings for you
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #13  
BELIEVE!

Wow! Wow! Wow! Shane - you look fabulous and have accomplished so much in the past year! Congratulations on everything! Today was a good day to read your inspiring post...I just needed a lil pick me up! Thankyou for sharing and being such a supportive 3FC friend!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That's awesome- your post is inspirational.

I wish I knew how to make more friends though- it's my bday on the 15th and I feel like I have no friends I have an eight spot table reserved at one of my favorite places to eat and I can't even fill it!

This may sound lame but how did you go about making more friends? I'm 25 (about to be 26). I guess part of my problem is I'm married and not the type to go out partying and stuff.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Shane, you look great! I'm with the group that loves reading your posts. I wish I had been as put together as you are when I was your age - might have saved me some heartache!

And, I'm still using you as my inspiration to work on my abs!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote