Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/236/135

Height: 5ft. 3 inches

Default Old WW Selection Plan

I am new to this board, but am planning on using it alot for support. I have about 100# to lose and can't go to any meetings, so I am going to have to do it on my own! I was wondering if anyone out there has information on the old WW Selection Plan. I am planning on starting it this week. I have some information (exchanges, etc. from the Freedom Plan that I got off the internet) but I was wondering if anyone would have information on the exchanges based on your weight. I had seen a post at one time with this information, but can't find it now. This would help me control the exchanges. Any information would be appreciated.
keeperathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #2  
kelsmom51

If you find something I would like to know too. I lost weight on the old plan but don't understand the new ww's plan
kelsmom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #3  
kelsmom51

You can go to amazon.com and search book. Type in 1966 weight watchers cookbook and they will come up for 55 cents to 3 or 4 dollars. Shipping is 3.99 hope this helps.
kelsmom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #4  
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

i actually have the old weight watchers stuff buried somewhere... i can look and get back to you.. i can scan it or mail it to you when i find it! what part were you looking for? the points or the part where you count calories and fat and have an actual menu plan with recipes?
katiejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not all WW cookbooks include the program information. All of Weight Watcher's programs before 1996 were exchange plans, but there were some changes along the way. When I joined with my mother arund 1974 (I was around 8) they required liver once a week (so I don't think you want to go that far back).

So you might want something like:

THE WEIGHT WATCHERS COMPLETE COOKBOOK & PROGRAM BASICS

It is selling on Amazon in both a 1994 and a 1995 edition.

If you want to look for others on Amazon, if you search on Weight Watcher's and then sort by publication date (it's not perfect, some books are out of order), you can look for pre-1996 books. Sometime you can get an idea by reading the reviews whether the program basics are included.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #6  

If you don't get your answer, you could try MyPyramid.com. It will give you the exchanges you should have each day based on calories for the day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #7  

Thanks for the information. I have I think it was called the "Freedom Plan" (3-5 Proteins, 4-6 breads, 2 fruits, 3 vegs., 3 fats, 2 milk, 21 personal selections, and 700 opt. calories). I had gotten this off a website by George Draper. What I was trying to find out was the plan that listed the exchanges according to your weight range. The exchanges would decrease as you lost the weight. I guess I'll just follow this plan unless I find out anything different. I do better on the exchange plan rather then points.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #8  

If you want a variety of calorie levels, I like the exchange plans on tops.org (under tools) and hillbillyhousewife.com (under healthy hbhw)

The hillbilly housewife has the advantage of not just having different calorie levels, but also different carb levels.

I didn't have the old WW information , but also remembered how I liked the freedom of flexible exchanges (the personal selections), so what I did was use the 1500 calorie exchange plan from hillbillyhosewife as my basic plan and added 6 "flex exchanges" that I could use (if I wanted) on dairy, protein, starch or fruit, so my daily calories ranged from 1500 to 2000 (aiming to average around 1800).

I love that virtually all exchange plans use the same exchanges, so any exchange cookbook (I collect cookbooks) can be used interchangeably (I always make sure they ARE using the same exchanges).

The only plan I've found so far that deviates from this is the DASH plan. I had to translate the nut and protein exchanges, because a DASH serving of protein is actually equivalent to 3 protein exchanges in other programs. And a Dash nut serving, I believe, is equivalent to 3 fat exchanges.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-03-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #9  

I never heard of the DASH plan. What is that? Thanks for the suggestion about the exchange cookbooks. Because I have so much to loose, I want to find some good recipes because this has to be a total change for me in my eating habits. My husband will about eat anything and wants to start eating more healthy also. He doesn't have much weight to loose, but knows we need to eat better. (At least that is what he is saying for now I'll check out the websites you listed....Thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #10  

DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension
(there's a website dashdiet.org)

My doctor gave me a couple page handout on the plan, a couple years ago but I just saw on amazon.com that there are several books and cookboots written on the plan.

The main difference between it and other plans is the addition of the nut serving (small amounts of heart healthy nuts and legumes are supposed to eaten at least a few times per week).

Some diabetic cookbooks just count carbs, but often by reading the book description or the reviews on amazon, you can tell which ones include exchanges (or you can always get through your library first).

I borrow from the library alot. And if I really like a book, I'll then order it from amazon.com because the prices are often really good. I buy used and just make sure that the seller has a high rating and has sold a lot of books.

Other exchange books are any of the Richard Simmons cookbooks, and Healthy Exchange cookbooks by Joanna Lund (but beware that she uses quite a lot of name brand products and processed foods).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-03-2009 at 05:52 PM.