Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #1  
Christian Cyster

S/C/G: 234/172/140

Height: 5'7"

Question I don't know what I'm doing.

I moved into a wonderful apartment complex 6 months ago. One of the perks was the gym. I was so excited! Since moving in, I've been there one time. I just have no idea what to do. I went there to start the couch to 5 k and quickly learned that the treadmill was not my friend.

The gym has stair climbers, ellipticals, treadmills, exercise bikes, and weight machines. I was going to try the bikes, but is that enough? I feel like I should be doing something else as well?

Any suggestions on a work out routine? Also, I live on the third floor and need to have the energy to climb 3 flights of stairs after my work out. Plus the gym is in the basement, so make that 4 flights.

Thanks for the help.

Christine
FluffyChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

The bike is great exercise especially if you make sure to increase speed and intensity as you get used to it. 4 flights of stairs after exercising can be daunting just make sure to pace yourself, take as much time as you need, and hold on to the railing.

Also make sure you aren't exercising on an empty stomach especially if post work out energy is an issue. Some people feel energized after some feel depleted but I think thats more in the beginning.

Most important is thing that you start using the machines even if its just 5 minutes at a time and try to build up from there.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #3  
Christian Cyster

I wasn't coordinated enough for the treadmill. It would be going too slow, so I'd turn up the speed just a tad, and then it would go to fast. It seemed like I was hanging on for dear life the entire time.

Christine

Last edited by FluffyChristine; 01-02-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

hmm..strange on the treadmill thing, maybe you could try a different treadmill and focus on going slow until you get the hang of it...when I first started walking, I just went outside..you can also check out ON DEMAND if you have it...there is a great walking program you can do in your living room on there..there is also PARTS 1 and 2 of the infamous 30-day Shred...which is a great work out..goodluck..you can do it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Try out the elliptical I wasn't coordinated enough when I first started to be on the treadmill....now that I have one I love it!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #6  
My name is Michelle

S/C/G: 200/190/145

Height: 5'5"

When I first started using the treadmill, I had to take it very slow. I started out walking for 30 minutes at a leisurely pace then as time progressed, I bumped it up till eventually, I was more or less speedwalking. Then finally, I did a little jog in between strides for a couple of minutes (like 3) then back to power walking. It seemed to help quite a bit until of course, I threw my back out and haven't been back to the gym since. BUT that is changing and I will get back to that happy spot in the gym. Good luck to you and just keep plugging away.
TheMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

Pssst... Come here and I'll tell you a secret...

When most of us started, we had no clue what we were doing.

Most important is to start doing *something*. Try 5 min on one cardio machine, if only to boost your confidence! Then try another one. If you're tired, go on the treadmill on an easy speed, just to keep moving--part of the challenge of exercising is just getting in the habit of doing it (which is also partly why it gets easier with time). If the treadmill speed it starts with is too easy, you can try increasing the incline to 1% or 2%, just to see what it's like. Eventually, you'll figure out what machine/exercise you enjoy, and you can look into how to make that more challenging as you get fitter and it becomes easier. If you are intrigued by the weight machines, there are many ladies here who can give you great advice--we have a sub-forum for weights too!

The bikes are totally enough to get a workout. Once you're comfortable with the bikes, they probably have some pre-programmed settings that you can choose from to challenge yourself. I bike to work, and have done so 4 days a week or so since the spring, and I still climbed off a stationary bike earlier in the week and was dripping with sweat. One thing to consider down the road is that your body gets used to doing the same exercise over and over again, whether biking, running, elliptical, whatever--biking to work isn't challenging for me anymore, so I have to do other things as well to keep my body guessing. But biking outdoors is still my favourite exercise.

The stairs after working out are a challenge, I have to admit. Maybe consider them the last part of your workout? In the beginning, make sure you don't work out enough that you're totally exhausted and you still have a little bit of energy left. And treat the stairs like exercise--one step at a time and you'll get there, and eventually, you'll be hopping up the last flight.

I've heard it said before, and it's totally true--the hardest part about exercising is the 15 feet from my bedroom to the front door.
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i think the rest of the guys have said it for me! at first, it's always daunting and you feel so stupid and like you're the only person who doesn't know what you're doing but i can guarantee that everyone who first goes to a gym feels that.

if your eally do feel lost, couldn't you try and personal trainer or something? i know they're expensive but perhapsit's what you need to give you the confidence to get back to the gym and just give things a try.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #9  

There are tons of books @ the library on working out! Bob & Jillian both have books out! Maybe this would help you!!
AMYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #10  
Christian Cyster

Thanks for all the advice. I used to go bike riding all the time, so I'm a little more comfortable with that. I think I'll start there and just get myself into the habit of going to the gym regularly. Then I'll move on from there. I'm also gonna check out the library and see what books they've got. I definitely can't afford a personal trainer. Thanks again. Just getting myself down to the gym is going to be a big step.

Christine
Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #11  
just a girl

S/C/G: 215/196/135

Height: 5'6''

This thread totally struck close to home for me! I have a gym where I live but am so intimidated by it. I feel like the dumbest person on the planet when I'm in the gym. I am clueless. My anxiety really spikes if there are other people there. I went for the first time on Tuesday and did the eliptical for 25 minutes. I felt wobbly afterward, but I did it and that's what counts. Hopefully the more I go, the more comfortable I'll get.
foxsealady is offline   Reply With Quote