General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #1  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Default Yes Man

Has anyone seen Yes Man yet? What did you think?

I don't think I am spoiling anything because I think obviously if you know anything about the movie, you know it's about a man whose life is kind of mundane until he takes a self-help seminar and starts saying yes to everything and adventure ensues.

I am a sucker for self-help and this is TOTALLY a self-help movie. It's not exactly a "how to" guide but it's totally a you-can-make-your-life-better-too kind of movie. I left thinking about ways I could incorporate more spontaneity and open-mindedness into my life. Before I even saw the movie, I told my boyfriend we should try 100 new things in the next year (and of course write them down so we can review a year later all the stuff we tried in 2009).

Anyways, this movie just really struck a nerve about what's missing from my life. I don't have a lot of friends since I've moved here, I'm often bored and I'm definitely in a routine (rut). I think if I took advantage of more opportunities, tried more things, and said yes more, I'd be happier all around.

So ... anyone else? Anyone inspired? Or NOT inspired?
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Height: 5'3"

I've seen it and I thought it was really good. It does make you think that you could be doing much more with your life whilst still being very funny.

It's based on a book by Danny Wallace (who had a very distracting cameo!!). I've not read it but he co-wrote 'Are you Dave Gorman?' which was so funny that I think I will get it at some point.

It was also good to see that Jim Carey can do funny films without being totally mental. Ace Ventura style comedy gets boring after a while.
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I hadn't heard of it, but it sounds interesting!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #4  
=D

I might see this later today. The city will be dead, as will the cinemas - I always like it when it's that way.

I hope it's a genuinely funny movie and not just a stupid generic 'comedy'.

...boy that sounds cynical
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We're in need of a funny movie after seeing Gran Torino and Seven Pounds. At first we were thinking of seeing Marley and Me, but we know that is a total tear-jerker at the end, so we may opt for this one tomorrow. I do like Jim Carey, but my FIL dislikes him (probably for the stupider movies he's done).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #6  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Well, Jim Carrey still has some of his physical humor, like, look at this weird face I can make or weird voice I can speak in but no, it's not like Ace Ventura... okay, maybe about 1% Ace Ventura.

My boyfriend said it was better than most Jim Carrey movies--he doesn't really like him either.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #7  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

Height: 5'5"

I really want to see this!
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #8  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I'm in two minds. I'm a HUUUUUGE fan of Danny Wallace's books, and I am not a Jim Carrey fan. So seeing him play the lead isn't turning me on.

Also it seems to be "loosely based" on the book. So the concept is the same, but the actual events are totally fictionalised.

Having said that, the book is one of those "if it weren't true you couldn't make this stuff up!" type of reads. Good on Danny for selling the concept to Hollywood (and probably making a bucket-load of money in the meantime). I'm probably going to see it, but I have to try and forget the title and the roots, and just look at it as a stand-alone film.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I loved this movie so much. I thought it was hysterical and it had a great message. A fan of the book, I realize that it's not actually following the story-line and more took the concept of it and made it its' own. I liked it in that way, if it was exactly like the book I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much as I did.

I loved the whole idea of just getting up and doing something random. Yes I want to learn guitar! Yes I want to learn Korean! So today I went and bought chocolate covered almonds and gave them to the first homeless person I saw telling them Happy New Year. He was so grateful he gave me a hug, that made me feel good. I don't think I've ever done that, and it was fun. I'm going to try different random things from now on
JRockSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #10  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Yeh, I definitely liked the movie! I'm turning into more of a no girl now though. For the better of course. When I was young and stupid, I said yes to a lot of things. So I guess it's kind of like the opposite for me, for now!
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote