General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default RIP little Christmas

Woke up this morning to see that Christmas the baby cockatiel passed away in his sleep last night - poor little darling
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I'm so sorry TAMARALYNN....a big hug here.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Poor little guy!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

So sorry! He was so cute!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #5  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I'm so sorry to hear that! It seemed that little Christmas was doing better. We have a family of wrens that like to nest on our porch each year. I never realized how fragile baby birds actually are.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

My husband was quite upset with the parents because they didn't bother with it. He was saying he wanted to sell them - he couldn't bear to look at them anymore.

Well it's a birds intuition. THey knew he was sick from the get go - which was why I had taken over.

I didn't think he would survive, but I did all I could for him.

THe parents I'm sure are greiving as well, but they push the baby aside because they don't want to become too attached to it.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #7  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Unfortunately, for those of us who would save the world and everything in it, nature indeed is survival of the fittest.

Last year we had a pair of wrens who decided to make a nest in a mostly empty Coca Cola 12 pack box on the top shelf of a bakers rack on our porch. We watched in fascination as they carefully constructed a nest, laid eggs and hatched 3 babies. The first clutch was adorable puff balls that we found one day climbing out of the box to a precarious drop below but they flittered a bit and clung to the bricks before they got their strength and flew off. We were just as excited when a few weeks later, the same pair we presume decided once again to nest in the bakers rack. We set out another empty box and they did their business. This time around the babies were quite active and kept trying to jump out of the box much sooner than the last set. This time there were 4 babies. Twice they crept out, clearly weren't strong enough to fly yet and my husband donned garden gloves and set them back in the box only to find them creeping out again. It was clear their instincts told them to get out and even the parents were clinging to a nearby tree calling them out. All 4 jumped out but only 1 made it to the tree. 1 hit the ground but was too weak to move very far. 1 fell but crawled under the bakers rack for protection and one clung to the bricks with the most frantic peeping for it's momma that tore my heart. The parents did everything they could to encourage the one on the bricks to come to the tree and completely ignored the other 2. They fed the one on the tree but would not feed the one on the bricks. We watched this for a couple of hours and finally my husband caught the one under the bakers rack and put it in the bushes at the base of the tree where it promptly went and hid under a branch for cover. He also relocated the one on the bricks but it could not cling to the tree. The first baby died within an hour of coming out of the box. We watched in great sadness as the parents would only feed that one that was in the tree and ignored the other 2 obviously frantic and hungry birds that were nearby. My husband said it's just nature's way that the parents will put their energies into those that seem like they will make it. Even then they don't hang around the babies for too long. In the end, the only bird that made it was the one on the tree. After that we decided it was just too hard to go through again, so we don't encourage nesting on the rack anymore.

So tell your husband not to have hard feelings for your pair - they are doing what instinct tells them, not human nature.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #8  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Aww, that is sad. He was so cute.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #9  
No description available.

I'm sorry....my kids enjoyed his pictures. Poor little baby bird.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

animal know when their babies aren't going to make it..and the save the food/nuturing for the healthy one. Sorry to hear it passed. Tell hubby not to be hard on the parents. The animals know when something is sick. You did all you could.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry to hear it. You did all you could. Sometimes it is just not meant to be.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #12  
-^.^-

S/C/G: 155/148/125

Height: 5'0

I'm so sorry!
I have a cockateil, too, and he's my precious little baby.
I can't imagine losing him.

D: I'm so so sorry!
Skinny Teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #13  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I'm so sorry about your pet...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #14  
Operator265

I'm sorry for your loss Tamara. I've been watching and enjoying your threads.

When my Mom was dying she would ask me where her Mom and Dad were. They had passed many years before. The last night I was with her I kissed her and told her that if she was looking for them later to just go around the corner and they would be there waiting for her. They came for her the next day. I didn't want to lose her, but, I couldn't stand seeing her suffer so.

It's hurts to lose something you care so much for and want soooo much to keep, but knowing they are no longer hurting makes it a little easier. Your little one's parents knew that instinctively and I'm sure your husband will realize that too. Give him a little time. Especially when y'all see how much they care for Noel.