Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/163/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone else make black-eyed pea dishes on New Year's?

For good luck on 1-1...

I make a concoction with brown rice, the peas, tomatoes, veggies and various meats. It's kind of like my own version of Hoppin' John, which is made in so many different ways. We're also having baked corn casserole.

Not exactly diet food, but this is the last day of the holidays ...
IngridonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Yes but I don't eat it. My family always does hog jowls, collards and black eyed peas. This is the one meal a year I don't eat because I don't like it! This year we are also making Alabama Caviar.

Alabama Caviar

2 (15 1/2 oz.) cans blackeyed peas (drained)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 clove garlic
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Pepper and hot sauce to taste

Mince garlic clove. Mix peas, onion, green pepper and garlic. Dissolve sugar, vinegar, and salt over low heat. Mix all ingredients, adding desired black pepper and hot sauce. Refrigerate 12 hours. Serve with Frito corn chips.
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #3  

Black-eyed peas and greens!! I have just started the peas cooking. I will have cabbage and Savannah red rice, a combination of rice, onion, tomatoes, and bacon...delicious! Sometimes, but not today, tomatoes, creamed corn, and bacon cooked together.
SouthernComfort257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #4  
Jamaica Bound

S/C/G: 213/173/150(170 by 6/18/09)

Height: 5'5"

I received a new recipe yesterday that I plan on trying today for good luck this year. And believe it or not, I got the recipe while getting my mammogram so its from a medical personel, hoping it is fairly healthy! She said she bakes battered okra in the oven, fries some o'brien potatoes in a little olive oil, then cooks some lean turkey sausage. Puts the okra, potatoes, sausage & black eyed peas in a skillet and lets them simmer and kind of meld the flavors together and serves it with corn bread! Sounds good to me so I am gonna give it a shot! I also read on MSN.com that there are other good luck foods, I love cabbage so I am trying a recipe from their website because the Irish believe cabbage is good luck like black eyed peas! I figure the more luck the better!
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I had black-eyed peas for the first time ever today. I soaked the peas overnight, cooked some chopped onion in a pan sprayed with olive oil until the onions were soft, added the peas and a cup of vegetable broth, and let it simmer until the the liquid was absorbed. With a splash of hot sauce they were delicious.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote