Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #1  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Question GPS exercise monitors

I was concidering buying a wireless monitor to calculate HR, calories, etc. I was wondering if anyone has the Garmin Forerunner models or any other models and if they liked them? If so do they work for gym work-outs or just out door workouts?

Thanks!
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I don't know anything about the HRM but I did just get a bodybugg, it has an online food log and you wear it on your arm and it calculates the calories I burn. I can set my wn goals for my own rate of WL. 24 hour fitness has a deal with 6 months of web service where you attach the monotor and it will enter the info into your page and it comes with a display that s can see the sinks so you see how you are doing. I would say it is less than the garmin you are looking at...take a look, it may be an option...
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:57 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I started running and thought the garmin 305 was really good for helping calculate distance along with heart rate. They are really geared for outdoor sports but can be used indoors but the GPS functionality really has no point indoors. If you are looking for something for gym workouts only, there might be better options such as Polar heart rate monitors.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #4  
I am Resilient

S/C/G: 227/ticker/160

Height: 5'10''

I just got a Polar F6 for Christmas. It calculates heart rate and calories and I LOVE IT! I use it for exercise videos as well as outdoor running and gym workouts. You wear a transmitter (around your chest, under your shirt - very discrete) that transmits your heart rate to the watch. We got it for about $100 - not bad!
kmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Does anyone know if any of the gps fitness watches allow you to program in coordinates? I'd like to get a gps for geocaching, and while the handheld gps units do calculate how far you've traveled, a watch would be handy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #6  
FB

Heya Nelie-

You can actually add indoor functionality to your Garmin 305 by visiting a local center (if there's one local to you) and getting a series of metabolic tests...
http://www.newleaffitness.com/QuickLinks/QL_garmin.html.
http://www.newleaffitness.com/
I haven't done so yet, I believe the test cost $75.00 in my area. I'm interested in doing so, but have never made the time.

ETA: That link wasn't really helpful, you'd have to search around within the site to find what I'm talking about. Sorry! Anyhow, you look for a fitness center with New Leaf support - the search function for that is all the way to the right. The first link doesn't work for me with the search function, the second link's search function finds places for me. The center would give you a metabolic profile to upload into your Garmin.

Maybe this link is better: http://www8.garmin.com/products/trai...er/newleaf.jsp

Maybe this is the most confusing post I've ever accomplished!

Last edited by FB; 12-31-2008 at 12:55 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #7  
FB

Kaplods - I think so on the 305, but am not certain. The screen is certainly less comprehensive than that of a normal GPS, no roads or landmarks.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

I have a very old model Forerunner, don't use it much except outdoors for walks and jogs. I like it and would like to have an updated model sometime, but it's not a high priority money wise.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #9  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmelody View Post
I just got a Polar F6 for Christmas. It calculates heart rate and calories and I LOVE IT! I use it for exercise videos as well as outdoor running and gym workouts. You wear a transmitter (around your chest, under your shirt - very discrete) that transmits your heart rate to the watch. We got it for about $100 - not bad!
Does it allow you to type in your weight to calculate the calories burned for your body? I am really thinking of getting this now!
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote