Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #1  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Default Top 10 Tips for Getting Fit in 2009

Top 10 Tips for Getting Fit in 2009 (Jorge Cruise gets the credit for this)

Right now, you’re probably feeling the effects of holiday gluttony. Too much chocolate, too little cardio. Should you drop down and do 100 push ups? Not yet. It’s more important to build up your “inner fitness” first. Getting your head around getting fit will make sure your 2009 resolutions aren’t empty promises…

Here are 10 steps to help you start the new year on a healthy, fitness-forward note.

Step #1: Identify Your GoalAll my successful clients share at least one trait: They plan their goals. It's not enough to just say “I want to lose weight.” You need to outline steps to your goal.

So I want you to take out a notepad and write down these two things: How many pounds do you want to lose? By when do you want to lose this weight? (Divide how much you want to lose by two – losing two pounds a week is healthy and recommended by doctors.)

Committing to a date may sound intimidating, but it will set you on the path to change.

Step #2: Believe Believing in yourself will give you a big advantage. My clients who have lost weight believed failure was not an option for them. They were able to envision a new life filled with health, energy and vitality.

Step #3: Make It a Lifestyle If you try a new fitness or eating plan that isn't sustainable, you won't see lasting results. You have to think of eating smarter or exercising as part of your way of life – a better life.

Step #4: It's Never Too Late As we get older, we may think it's too late for us to change our health habits. But it’s never too late! Many of my clients are in their 50s and older.

You can take charge of your health and energy today. It's not about age, but making smart choices. About 80% of your wellness success will come from what you eat and drink. No matter your age or level of fitness, you can make smarter eating choices starting now.

Step #5: Thinking Negative Thoughts? Oops! As difficult a lesson this is, you must first accept your body – with all its quirks and inconveniences – before you can change it. Take a moment to reflect upon your feelings about your body. Often, when I ask my clients to do this, a slew of negative thoughts crosses their minds.

Nasty thoughts can unravel your best intentions. They erode your self-confidence and motivation to succeed. You must get past them to experience true, lasting results.

So when you find yourself thinking something bad about yourself, just say “oops” out loud. It may sound silly, but it’s a great reminder to stop negative thoughts in their tracks and return to positive thinking.

Remember, your body is a precious gift!

Step #6: Harness the Power of Frustration Frustration can create a powerful desire for change. In fact, it’s one of the most valuable motivational tools. Think about how being unfit has cost you, whether in your career, intimate relationship or family life. How many activities have you missed because you physically couldn’t do them? How often have you stayed home because you felt too ashamed or embarrassed about your body?

Be honest with yourself. Explore every aspect of your life in which inactivity and overeating has held you back. Then pick up a pen and let your dissatisfaction tumble onto the pages of your journal. (If you don’t already write in a journal, start one!)

Once you’re done, you’ll have the genesis of your success in front of you. Use it to propel you toward your goals.

Step #7: Start Your Day with Sunshine Open your curtains when you go to bed at night. That way, your room will become gradually lighter as the sun rises, slowly arousing your body and mind out of sleep. You’ll be alert long before your alarm clock sounds – no more waking up to that annoying buzzer! You’ll awaken happy, refreshed and ready to start the day.

Step #8: Cut Back on TV-Watching All of us have what I call a Loser Zone, where we spend way too much time. You fall into this zone when you do something that produces no significant improvement in your life.

Can you guess what the #1 Loser Zone activity for Americans is? If you said watching television, you’re right! (joni note...for me, it's surfing the web!)

The average American spends 30 hours a week staring at the boob tube. You may enjoy zoning out to your favorite shows, but think how much you could accomplish with that time. Even if you just cut your daily TV time by one hour, you’d have seven extra hours a week.

Step #9: Hang with the Right Crowd Surround yourself with happy, successful people whose goals you share. We tend to emulate the behavior of the people around us, either consciously or subconsciously. If you spend time with fit, health-conscious people, you’ll be inspired to adopt their ways. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t spend time with friends whose habits you don’t admire; just wisely choose when and where you socialize with them.

Step #10: You're Not Perfect – So Stop Trying to Be! Perfection is not only unrealistic, but it’s also a huge burden. Perfectionists may start out with the best intentions – wanting to better themselves or their situation – but they end up as control freaks. When something minor goes wrong, they feel like it’s the end of the world. This creates a level of stress that’ll drive anyone batty!
When it comes to your body, you need to learn to accept your imperfections.
Maybe you compare yourself to glossy photos of supermodels. Guess what? They’re airbrushed to look perfect. In real life, they have imperfections, problem areas and bad hair days just like everyone else. So remember: Nobody’s perfect… and that’s the beauty of it.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Good stuff Joni!! Always good words to live by!
Thanks!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #3  
EACH DAY A NEW BEGINNING!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Joni...Thanks for the great reminder and pep talk!!!!
tryingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/240/199

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks for posting these tips Joni !

I really need to work on steps 3 & 10, lol.

Have a great New Year!
WithFaith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #5  
I'm ready to get started!

S/C/G: 208/208/125

Height: 5'1"

Thanks Joni!!

This is great to start off the New Year.
ferrarimomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #6  
on Changing Sizes plan C

S/C/G: 220/171/140

Height: 5'11"

Awsome list Joni - Step #3 is one to "live" by so to speak . Making any change a lifstyle is what makes it a lasting success for us all.

Jenn

Last edited by Jenniferk2008; 01-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Jenniferk2008 is offline   Reply With Quote