Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default Alcohol and Gastirc bypass...an experiment so you don't have to!

Hi everyone,

Well, I share this in hopes of preventing anyone else trying this on New Years Eve! I'm glad I didn't do this experiment on New Years, that would have been a bummer, I want to remember the beginning of 2009 and enjoy the party! LOL

Last night I went to a dance club here in town where I love to go and just dance...it's great exercise and a enjoyable way to have fun on the weekend. Ok, I decided that I was going to drink to see what would happen to me post GBP. So, I had one drink and was feeling good, 15 minutes later I had another and was drunk as a skunk...I mean staggering, fall down drunk! 30 minutes later I had another and...passed out on the table...No kidding! Though I struggled to stay awake, I was out to the point of worrying the bouncers! They kept coming over to me "you ok, honey?" "Do you want me to call you a cab?" "Is there someone I can call?" I tried very hard to not pass out completely but after another half hour and 3 glasses of water my bed was sounding very, very warm, cuddly and comfortable! LOL So I called my SIL and he, laughing the whole way, came and got me.

So here's what I learned.

1) Drinking's a bad idea because I could, being the additive type, easily transfer my food addiction to alcohol.

2) The body's defense against alcohol poisoning is throwing up, which is difficult when the alcohol goes directly from the pouch, through the stoma, into the small intestine and straight to the liver. I don't think there would have been any throwing up even though my body might have wanted to last night.

3) Then there is the even more important down fall, who wants to buy drinks for the slobbering drunk lady? I bought my own! LOL There's $20 I wasted on being wasted!

So not worth it...just go and DANCE!!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-28-2008 at 12:03 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #2  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

I hope that you made it home safely. I have heard these stories from other post op people. I hear the experience is very unpleasant. As much as I enjoy as glass of wine or two I am just to afraid to try to drink. I give myself at least six months.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #3  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

wow what an experience
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #4  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

how were you able to handle your alcohol before this?
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #5  

yes. well, I never drank that much but I have had 3 drinks in the past and was tipsy but not like this! I think it's because I can't eat and drink at the same time...so it was on an empty stomach as well as having a direct line from the alcohol bottle to my liver! Like I said, NOT worth it! LOL

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-28-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yikes...... who'da thunk?

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Ange Marie don't do that again!!!!!! Bet you won't either!!!!! LOL! I tried one of those drinks Mojita, something like that, one that had only about 10% alcohol at Halloween and couldn't feel my knees!!! <giggle> I was not a drinker before this gastric by-pass and certainly won't be now. Now if it was mushy bread in a bottle, might have to give that a try! LOL!

Hope all the oldies and the newbies are doing well. I'm working my brains out and giving my good old hernia work out! Ate a naked sugar cookies' head off yesterday and got the gassy scoots! Won't be doing that again either.

Where's to a thinner healthier New Year for us all. YAHOO

Last edited by nanj; 12-29-2008 at 01:16 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #8  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Many surgeons say 6-12 mos. before drinking due to the liver having to process the alcohol and the weightloss.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #9  

I'm 11 months out and don't see how it could be different...the configuration of my pouch and small intestine won't change anytime soon. LOL It may be that I overloaded the liver with weight loss and alcohol or the fact that one can't really eat much while drinking...in any case, I really don't see how it could change that much with time...there will always be the intravenous line from the alcohol bottle through the pouch to the liver!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Top Ten Reasons Not To Drink if you've had WLS

Top Ten List For Not Drinking Alcohol After WLS

10. Drinks have HUGE useless drinkable calories, which we don't need.
9. If you vomit after drinking, you will probably slip in it and end up with a concussion or a broken leg. Besides why waste the protein!!!!
8. Alcohol makes you dehydrated.
7. No matter how much we all like everyone at Weightloss Surgery, we will not bail you out of jail for drunken and disorderly.
6. Alcohol doesn't mix with most prescription drugs.
5. Do you seriously think that you look good with a lampshade on your head
dancing around the room with a sloped drink down the front of your nice outfit.
4. As if we didn't already of enough problems, alcohol can increase our risk of heart disease, hypertension, breast cancer, stroke, good old obesity, diabetes and suicides. Oh did I mention, sudden cardiac death!
3. How many times have we seen on the new about a naked drunk driving their lawn tractor down the middle of a snow covered street singing at the top of their lungs being pursured by the police. Now if you are a WLS patient and you skin is all jiggly and saggy and your the one sitting on the tractor, I don't want to start to even imagine that.......Holy Macerol!
2. Alcohol is addictive and with our need to replace food with something else.....there is this thing called transferred addictions.
1. IT IS JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!

Learn from Ange people. Don't go there! Now a personal note to Ange.....the more I think about it Missy......You are grounded, go to your room and no salsa for a week!!!! Don't make me come to Idaho!!! LOL!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #11  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I waited till the 1 year anniversary for alcohol. I must say, I am almost 2 years out (feb 12) and I keep my intake of alcohol to one beverage, drinking slowly. That causes me to feel the tingle, but not get drunk. I don't drink every time I go out either.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

well at least now you know not to drink! hmmm, hope you're recovering ok now though it could have been a lot worse.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #13  

Nancy! ROFLMAO....grounded! You're too much!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I may have one drink every once and awhile when with friends. I find that yes I get hammered off that one drink but i.t also wears off faster.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

1 drink sipped gingerly if i drink at a "normal speed" i'm hammered for a half hour then stone cold sober
also noooo mixed drinks they just make ou sick
KO is offline   Reply With Quote