Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #1  
Insanity Is Relative

S/C/G: 324/241/170

Height: 5'6"

Wink A Christmas Revelation...

I realized today at Christmas dinner how little I like eating now. That's a HUGE change as I always ate with such gusto! Now it's just a 'chore' (not sure if that's the right word, if not, it's close!) that I have to get through. It made me sad lol, just something else to work out in therapy! My mother is now worried that I'll go the OTHER way...
I went to my friend's house the other night, the one that I was worried about pre-op because the whole night seems to revolve around eating... I took my own little dinner and concentrated more on the company, which was nice.
I tell ya, all these new little revelations are really keeping my therapist busy! rofl
MissusO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #2  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Well you are certainly not by yourself. The dinner was tough to stomach because I really could not eat much. I don't enjoy left overs and now I am having to find pleasure in something else other than food. Honestly this has allowed me to reconnect with my faith and search for new hobbies. Haven't found them yet, still looking. Yes, therapy truly help, I feel like I am going through a grieving process with food separation.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

you two have hit the nail on the head!!!!! this is a day-by-day challenge, and we end up questioning everything we ever knew about ourselves - how we react to stress, what we do when we're tired or thirsty, our relationships with people - it's NOT EASY!!!!

people who lose weight the old fashioned way have more time to link these reactions up in order to help them succeed. with us, it's an overnight change - and if we're not paying attention - YIKES!!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey Ladies. Wow! I was just thinking that this morning as I ran. I did have some sweets yesterday but they are all gone now. I have about 3/4 the fudge left and it's going into the trash this morning.

I felt like crap last night after eating even the things I did. I didn't have enough fresh, whole foods yesterday and didn't drink my water. This morning I woke up feeling sluggsish. Even so, I laced up my running shoes and did my (almost) three miles. I plan to go again later today to run intervals. Now, I am sitting here drinking my cold water with a mask on my face. I know my food isn't digested from yesterday so I am not eating until that happens--hopefully, by the afternoon.

I think it's wonderful that we all seem to be "getting it" in regards to food. I don't see a therapist but am sure I could keep one occupied awhile!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #5  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Well this input has been most helpful. I thought after surgery that the desire for certain types of food would go away because I know that I can't eat. That is not the case at all. I snuck in fried cod fish yesterday, I threw up and could not sleep. So today I ended up eating blackened fish and still trying to fit my vegetables in. This is still difficult
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #6  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthylady View Post
Well this input has been most helpful. I thought after surgery that the desire for certain types of food would go away because I know that I can't eat. That is not the case at all. I snuck in fried cod fish yesterday, I threw up and could not sleep. So today I ended up eating blackened fish and still trying to fit my vegetables in. This is still difficult
It is good to see it wont all be roses and daffodils after surgery, especially about food, As it is now I have had my gall bladder removed and too much fats in my food make me very ill and I tend to vomit.
I am also a recovering recurrent bulimic and it comes and goes and it comes out most in times of stress (like lately) and the only way to fight it is to eat very small amounts of foods that abosolutly dont upset my stomach at all because when I am stressed (and usually WANT to eat) I will get ill and throw up if I do it too much, a real catch 22.

on the other hand I know what people mean about realizing how we have dealt with life through food, when I am stressed there are two responses... starvation or binge (if I am stressed to the point of not eating it is BAD)
We have always celebrated with food in my family, heck we have celebrated having an extra $10 when things were hard as a kid. I love eating out at places, I just plain like going out and talking with people while we eat and drink, it is a big part of my social life. I dont drink much booze but on occasions like this new years I find myself wanting to "tie one on" and all. Even though I know I dont have to drink to be happy I like the idea that I CAN drink and i know that will change with WLS and all.
I would love to not think of food all the time and i hope it will happen, but now I find myself sometimes thinking "this is the last christmas I can go crazy and make big trays of goodies for people" or "this is the last new years eve I will have to really party hard."
I made tons of food for the party and as I do it i wonder will I still be doing stuff like that after WLS, or will I just avoid parties?

I have more questions then brain power to deal with them sometimes....LOL or so it feels.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote