Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default NYC Article on Posting Calories

Interesting article about some of the follow up and fall out from NYC mandating calorie counts on menus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/di...9calories.html

You might have to register to read, but they don't spam or send a bunch of email.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #2  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I can only hope this will be introduced in Canada, too.

Loved this wisecrack in the article:
"The resulting sticker shock has brought parts of a great city to its knees, often to do push-ups."

:-)
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #3  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Wow great article and great news. I know that when that was going on, restauranteurs were screaming that they'll go out of business. You know, I don't know if places will go out of business, but I think that the healthier items will become the better sellers.

If I always get Item A at a restaurant and then I find out Item B has less calories and still looks pretty good, I'll probably get Item B from then on. I don't think knowing calories will necessary keep me away from a place but it will likely have me choosing the healthier option.

I don't see how this is any different than warning labels on cigarettes. We all know the risks and are left to make our own decisions.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

As a New Yorker, the calorie counts on menus and the city health department subway advertisements were two of the big reasons I changed my lifestyle. I think this is a great law. I remember walking into Quiznos when they first started the calorie counting and was shocked that the sandwich I usually ordered for lunch...one meal...was 1200 calories. I was like...duh....no wonder I'm so fat!
nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

I was just in New York City and loved seeing the calories counts on menus! Well, I only noticed it in Starbucks, but wish this was the case everywhere. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.
katie3181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

I think it is an awesome idea to post nutritional information on menus and I wish it were required where I live. It is a win-win situation as it seems to me the restaurants would WANT to know what people want to put in their bodies and that people would WANT to have choices.

It should be mandated everywhere.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #7  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I asked my skinny boyfriend how seeing the calories would affect what he bought and he said he would buy it if it had MORE calories, not less. He has invincible metabolism right now and I think trying to eat some dish with 3000 calories seems pretty novel. .. like those people who buy those enormous sundaes at some ice creams places to get a little button "I finished the Whateveritscalled!"
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #8  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

I love restaurants and one of my biggest complaints is no calories on menus. It has always amazed me how some restaurants can take a very healthy meal and turn it into some of the worst foods you can put in your mouth. way to go NYC. lets hope the rest of the world follows..
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote