Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy Anybody else panicking?

Yesterday, I looked at the calendar to figure out how many day I will be off work (we are closed between Christmas and New Year, although my department has to work [skeleton staff only - I will be working on Boxing Day]) and then I looked at the business hours of my gym over the same period - and an icy hand of fear gripped my heart.
My gym will be operating on seriously restricted schedule and it will be closed on quite a few days (and of course, by Murphy's law, on those days when it's open I will be out town). I cannot imagine not being able to work out!!!
Yeah, I have some videos at home but going to the gym on 6 days of a week has become something so deeply ingrained in me that I cannot imagine it otherwise.

Anybody else panicking like me?

Last edited by Tomato; 12-22-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #2  
No description available.

Not yet. I'll need to stretch my life a little to make my gym time...it is less convenient just cause of my busy-ness this time of year.

Take a breath, Tomato. I know how dedicated you are. Now might be the time to pull together some exercise routine that you can do at home. Ie, jumping jacks X 1 minute, pushups X 1 minute, forward lunges X 1 minute (hold heavy stuff if you can), crunches X 1 minute, mix it up.....repeat. You can get a nice muscle workout with body weight exercises (I know, I love to sling the iron too)....skip down your hall, skip backwards up your hall, repeat. A little creativity and discipline will keep your body working even if your schedule has to change a little bit. I know you are both creative and disciplined!

Sorry, in my sleep deprived state I glossed over the fact you have videos. Do those too. Look at it as an opportunity to shake up your exercise routine. We know we need to shake it up sometimes. And think how happy you'll be when you get back to the gym (and I know you will!)

Last edited by midwife; 12-22-2008 at 03:05 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

The only thing I'm panicking about is my oven betraying me as I attempt to bake cupcakes. The darn thing like burns everything! Stupid oven...

Oh yeah and like if the cupcakes are good..i might eat them. lol

I am sort of worried about not having the energy or time to workout as well. I mean yesterday I was exhausted from a few days of constant shopping. Walking, dodging people, get home clean up, fuss over the upcoming holiday meals...etc. It sort of drains you and I haven't done this in a long time...soooo lol. All sort of new for me including finding time to workout!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am never home near my elliptical at Christmas, so I've established other active rituals. I strength train at my mom's (I always ask for SOMETHING exercise-y for Christmas, so I usually get new weights or a band or something, and I carry a resistance band in my trunk). I also do an annual Christmas morning run, which is good - if it rains, I suppose I'll hop on my mom's elliptical.

You don't need a gym to exercise! Maybe this'll be a good opportunity to branch out!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #5  
FB

I'm not freaking out too badly. I have an in - my neighbor, who is also my personal trainer and owns a tiny gym up the block is leaving me her keys to workout a few nights this week. Oh yeah, I have to check on things too, mail, heat, ect.

My regular gym is open the 24th and 25th. If I can't make it to their modified hours I'll figure out something to do at home.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm a little freaked just because I have to spend Christmas with my BIL and his wife this year (and all the associated awkwardness that comes from being separated from my husband but still family ... and urg!).

They haven't seen me in person in almost 18 months now ... and have never seen me at this weight before. I'm freaked at how they're going to react and how they're going to act when I either go running on Christmas day or hit the gym (not sure what hours my gym is open on the 25th). Given the way they are and the way our relationship has been in the past, I have a sinking feeling that they'll take my leaving the house on Christmas day as a personal insult - like I'm trying to get away from them. (Ok, which I will be for the sake of my sanity, but ... not in an insulting way!)

I'm just generally freaked about a lot of things this year.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #7  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

The only thing that I'm a little nervous about is if my grandmother has junk food out when we go over on Christmas day. I've been good about avoiding so much and been successful that I want to be sure I'm going to continue that. I think I just need to keep away from the stuff and if its continually hanging out near where things are going on, maybe asking that it be moved to another room where people can just go and get some on a plate and return with it.

As far as exercising goes, I've been doing a lot better now that I've got a trial membership to 24 Hour Fitness. Honestly, I love it. I find myself looking forward to going too. Of course, while I'm working out, I want to stop, but I push myself to keep going. The gym is closed on Christmas day and has early hours on the 24th, so I'm just going to take Christmas day totally off I think less for a good walk.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Tomato - Maybe this will be a great time to find some new, fun exercises that can be done at home or anywhere.

I'm panicking a bit more about all the food. hehe
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Go buy some resistance bands -- fitness stores carry them and they are cheap. They may just be dressed up rubber bands with handles and door attachments, but my muscle definition will attest to the fact that they work extremely well...and good old fashion crunches, push-ups, bicycle crunches, leg lifts, squats, lunges, etc. can give you a serious work-out. For strength training at least, if you have the bands and work out a "body weight" routine, you will never be caught without a back-up again.

The videos will do just fine for cardio -- remember, it is less than a week. Six days does not make or break a weight loss program, and there is always stuff you can do. ****, turn on some music and rock out in the living room. I do that with my three little boys all the time...I'm pretty sure the neighbors think I'm crazy...but we all get some pretty decent exercise...especially when I toss the two-year-old around.

Last edited by Schumeany; 12-22-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Are there other gyms where you could purchase a week's pass or daily guest visits? My gym is open 24 hours, but if I had to, I wouldn't hesitate to go elsewhere even if I had to pay.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #11  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Yesterday, I looked at the calendar to figure out how many day I will be off work (we are closed between Christmas and New Year, although my department has to work [skeleton staff only - I will be working on Boxing Day]) and then I looked at the business hours of my gym over the same period - and an icy hand of fear gripped my heart.
My gym will be operating on seriously restricted schedule and it will be closed on quite a few days (and of course, by Murphy's law, on those days when it's open I will be out town). I cannot imagine not being able to work out!!!
Yeah, I have some videos at home but going to the gym on 6 days of a week has become something so deeply ingrained in me that I cannot imagine it otherwise.

Anybody else panicking like me?

Would buying an exercise bike and some weights help?
You could then do exercise at home.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I'm not in panic but I did have some concern. For me, it is the extreme weather. I do not want to run in 10below, counting wind chill factor.

So, that means I must GET ON THE treadmill, even if it is not my first choice. And now there is even more reason to spend time with resistance and weights at home... because I'm not leaving!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #13  
starting over again

I'm bummed because the three step aerobics classes that I take every week are canceled this week and next week. I'll still go and use the treadmill and I have some step dvd's at home I can do, but it's weird not going to the classes. I really got used to it and have made a lot of friends. I think I'm seriously having step withdrawal.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumeany View Post
Go buy some resistance bands -- fitness stores carry them and they are cheap. They may just be dressed up rubber bands with handles and door attachments, but my muscle definition will attest to the fact that they work extremely well...and good old fashion crunches, push-ups, bicycle crunches, leg lifts, squats, lunges, etc. can give you a serious work-out. For strength training at least, if you have the bands and work out a "body weight" routine, you will never be caught without a back-up again.

The videos will do just fine for cardio -- remember, it is less than a week. Six days does not make or break a weight loss program, and there is always stuff you can do. ****, turn on some music and rock out in the living room. I do that with my three little boys all the time...I'm pretty sure the neighbors think I'm crazy...but we all get some pretty decent exercise...especially when I toss the two-year-old around.

Yes, those resistance bands are great. I too have the muscles to prove that they really, really "work". I used them exclusively for over a year. Now that I'm at a gym I stoped using them solely. But they fit great in my suitcase and travel with me wherever I go.

And the year I was losing, I blasted the i-tunes and got in a great workout just dancing away. I still do it from time to time.

Yeah, the holiday schedule is all crazy and out of whack. I like routine, but understand why sometimes that routine will be a bit skewed. Can you say - improvise? Seems that's what a lot of us will have to be doing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Thankfully I'm not in a panic. I belong to a 24 hour gym that will be there for me anytime...yep...I'll be there on Christmas day. I also have sessions planned with my trainer on Christmas eve and the day after.

You will be fine...you've been given lots of good suggestions. Keep your bod moving.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote