General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

View Poll Results: Will You Be Attending Church Christmas/Eve?
I always attend church on Christmas 15 32.61%
I never attend church on Christmas 22 47.83%
I am a CEO ~ Christmas and Easter Only 4 8.70%
I will PM EZ on questions I have about church 1 2.17%
Been there ~ done that 6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile Christmas Poll

Angie and I spend a lot of this time of year at church....I can't think of a better place to be

We will be having around 30 family and friends over as usual for Christmas Eve dinner and gift exchange. After the celebration Angie and I, our kids and several other family members will be going to 10pm service. Angie, my ex and sil will have attend the 6pm service to perform their "duties". Some of my family and friends will not be going to church Christmas Eve or any other day.

How about you?

Last edited by EZMONEY; 12-21-2008 at 09:50 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #2  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

i don't go to church anymore... ever. but i've been thinking about going on Christmas Eve for one reason: to sing. i was in church choir starting at age 3 and school choir starting at age 5. i LOVE singing. i never get to do it anymore (unless i'm in my car ). i told my boyfriend i might go to church on wednesday night and he made a face.... i am not religious or believing in anything in the slightest... i just like the music!

as for christmas day, Chad and I are going to visit his grandparents in Iowa. that will be fun... his family is so nice!
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Gary - CEO - Christmas and Easter Only - that cracked me up!!

I will most definitely be going to church with my family on Christmas.

I have recently started going to church again (as well as getting involved with the volunteer youth ministry!), after ending my relationship (and a few other not-so-healthy ones), doing some general soul-searching, and straightening my life out. As a kid, I always hated going to church, but now I have A LOT more enthusiasm for my faith since *I* chose it. No one told me to start going to church; God called me back and I did it on my own accord.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Gary your poll options made me laugh.

I have never been to church on Christmas Eve! Can you believe that? We would always go the Sunday around Christmas with the whole family and I don't know why we never went on Christmas Eve.

That's changing this year! DH's family is in town and I'm lucky to be able to attend church at the largest Anglican cathedral in the state. It's breathtaking. So this year DH and I are taking the whole crowd down for the 7 p.m. service after an early supper. It should be fun for everyone.

I'm also big into the musical aspect. To me, that's a religious experience all its own.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #5  
Booty-Tron

i would be that creepy girl who sits in the front, doesn't pray, and sings really loudly. and then leaves immediately afterward.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
As a kid, I always hated going to church, but now I have A LOT more enthusiasm for my faith since *I* chose it. No one told me to start going to church; God called me back and I did it on my own accord.
Same here. I did a lot of soul searching and self discovery when deciding what kind of wedding I wanted to have this summer. It was sort of the fringe benefit of the process
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Our family tradition is for the whole family to attend Midnight Mass. We've been taking our kids to the Midnight service since they were born. It's always beautiful. In the last few years many churches have gotten away from it and have their last Christmas Eve service at 10pm or 11, but our church still does it at midnight. There have been mornings where I had to get up at 5am to go to work (hospital) after being up so late, but I wouldn't miss it for the world. There are fewer people attending the late service in the last few years.

Since the kids were older we have also begun opening gifts on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas (after Santa came). All my kids will be here (two home from college). We have a big meal with lasagna on Christmas Eve, open gifts, then go to Mass. It's gonna be a really cold Christmas Eve here this year. The high today here was -1!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

We have a candlelight Christmas Eve service at 6pm that is part of our tradition. We'll be there again this year. When our kids we younger, we went to a different church that had a midnight service. Although it was harder to do since they were so young, it really was a beautiful service.

Nightengaleshane, that's good news. I think you are someone the youth could really relate to.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted lady View Post
i would be that creepy girl who sits in the front, doesn't pray, and sings really loudly. and then leaves immediately afterward.
Everyone is welcome at most churches. Go and enjoy the music, if that's why you want to go. I love Christmas hymns and other music as well. One reason I look forward to Advent is because of the music.

My new favorite is "In the Bleak Midwinter" (don't know how I missed this all these years) but I also adore "O Come Immanuel" and "What Child is This".
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #10  
Booty-Tron

i love "O Come Emmanuel" (minor chords... mmmm) and "O Holy Night." when i was a senior in high school, i sang "O Holy Night" as a solo in front of the whole congregation on Christmas Eve. that was terrifying.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

I haven't ever gone to church on Christmas Eve, but I think I'm going to this year. My husband works at our church & he is going to be running all 3 services, so I thought I would go & sit in the sound booth with him. Our church doesn't do a Christmas day service though, which wouldn't work because we do family festivities all day anyway. So, anyway, maybe I'm starting a new tradition this year. =)
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 AM   #12  

We never miss going to the church. On the Christmas day I and my family go to the church early in the morning.
foodieUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

To me, Christmas isn't Christmas without going to Church. You have to ask yourself what Christmas is really about and its true meaning. For me, it's about the birth of Christ and his love for us. I appreciate others have different beliefs.

I will be going to a lovely Carol Service at Church on Christmas Eve followed by Midnight Mass. On Christmas morning, I will take my little niece and nephew to the children's mass. It is magical to come together as a community to celebrate the gift of Christ, our families and love for one another.

Merry Christmas to you all when it comes. xxx

Last edited by MissVitality; 12-23-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: extra word removed!
MissVitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I only go to church when I'm back in Utah with my parents. It's really the only church I feel comfortable in, although there is a nice Lutheran church just a couple of miles from where I live. I know my parents go there when they come to visit me--their old pastor is a member there.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Our church doesn't have services on Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day. We did just have our Christmas potluck yesterday. It was so good! (Can you tell I'm Baptist?)
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote