General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #1  
Operator265

Default text annoyance

I am a grammar/spelling/language snob. I admit it. There seems to be a lot of us here. So I wonder, how many others hate texting due to improper use of spelling and punctuation? I'm very slow because I want everything entered properly.

I had to get the more expensive model cell phone in order to have a QWERTY keyboard. I couldn't stand the number pad. Also, even with the QWERTY, I get irritable due to using the function button and then trying to find punctuation marks that aren't where they would be on a regular keyboard.

BTW, as a side note, there is supposed to be two spaces after a period before starting a new sentence. Why in the **** I care about that is beyond me.

So, does anyone here share my bizarre form of OCD with texting? Will I ever be able to adjust to the new English of the 20th Century? Please share.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
BTW, as a side note, there is supposed to be two spaces after a period before starting a new sentence. Why in the **** I care about that is beyond me.
This actually isn't technically true anymore. Current standards for typing call for either 1 or 2 spaces at the end of a sentence. Previously, two spaces were necessary for typewriters because they used non-proportional fonts and it wasn't apparent when a sentence was ending. Now, with proportional fonts on computer-printed docs, it doesn't matter. In classrooms, they teach single-space now, but either is technically correct.

My boss and I got in a big debate over this (I was on the two-spaces side, he was on one-space), thus why I know all of this

I don't really get bothered by the texting-language, so long as it doesn't take longer to type than the actual word (which is lame, because then why are you abbreviating??) and I can understand it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I don't mind text-speak *in proper context*. I text a lot and while I tend to be pretty anal about spelling properly, but even so, when I'm texting I have been known to use the occasional "ur" and "4" and so forth.

But on a message board or ESPECIALLY in an email .. it makes me insane. I've had potential clients email me and the email is practically unreadable (by me, anyway) due to the text-speak spelling. Honestly I tend to not respond to those emails - or to respond very basically. I realize that I might be losing a client, but I just can't handle it. I refuse to spend the next year dealing with a client who speaks in "text".

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-18-2008 at 10:59 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator265 View Post
That has changed

http://www.mla.org/style_faq3
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/156/145

Height: 5'5

I'm the same way to an extent. There are days where I spell everything out, add periods and double space after a period. But sometimes I just want to get the message to the person as quickly as possible so I shorten the way I type it. But other then that in email and other forms on writing I do type out everything.
littlepita4304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I know some of you are well educated...I did 12 yrs. of school and tape drywall for a living...how smart do I "got a b"

Personally if someone is texting me on a personal level I could care less about the correct grammer. I just enjoy hearing from the person...mostly friends and family....

to be honest my son and I text a lot during games...if we used proper grammer during the game the play we are sharing together would be so over...I get a lot of "C dat"...OMG...WTF....O sh** Pops...luv ya...

for me...I could care less...but dats me
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
I know some of you are well educated...I did 12 yrs. of school and tape drywall for a living...how smart do I "got a b"

Personally if someone is texting me on a personal level I could care less about the correct grammer. I just enjoy hearing from the person...mostly friends and family....

to be honest my son and I text a lot during games...if we used proper grammer during the game the play we are sharing together would be so over...I get a lot of "C dat"...OMG...WTF....O sh** Pops...luv ya...

for me...I could care less...but dats me
Uhhh, they're talking about when you're NOT texting
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #8  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
This actually isn't technically true anymore. Current standards for typing call for either 1 or 2 spaces at the end of a sentence. Previously, two spaces were necessary for typewriters because they used non-proportional fonts and it wasn't apparent when a sentence was ending. Now, with proportional fonts on computer-printed docs, it doesn't matter. In classrooms, they teach single-space now, but either is technically correct.

My boss and I got in a big debate over this (I was on the two-spaces side, he was on one-space), thus why I know all of this

I don't really get bothered by the texting-language, so long as it doesn't take longer to type than the actual word (which is lame, because then why are you abbreviating??) and I can understand it.
That doesn't surprise me. There were also many changes that came about when I graduated high school and went on to business college. I aced English because I could argue rule changes with my teacher. Like I said, I don't know why it bothers me. On computer screens it's not as noticeable as it is with hard copies. I just think it looks cleaner. I also prefer double spacing between paragraphs to single spacing with indents. That should be kept to books where spacing can actually create a cost component.

I can deal with a few abbreviations. I use b/c quite often along with a few others(BTW, OMG, personal favorite is STFU), but some people don't realize that too much of it leaves your message unreadable. Many of us are still newbs. I really don't like it when people speak in text. It really doesn't save anything saying "BTW" instead of "By the way".
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #9  

Quote:
I could care less
You mean you COULDN'T care less. If you could care less, the obviously ... it bothers you.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #10  

Quote:
I really don't like it when people speak in text. It really doesn't save anything saying "BTW" instead of "By the way".
Um, but that's exactly what you said in your original post!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
.... It really doesn't save anything saying "BTW" instead of "By the way".
hummm...doesn't it save a Y and a HE and a AY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
You mean you COULDN'T care less. If you could care less, the obviously ... it bothers you.

Why are you always picking on me PhotoChick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Uhhh, they're talking about when you're NOT texting
Julie texting for me at my age is not that easy!! Give me a break
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I'm an English teacher, so I can certainly relate to the post. I don't mind the text abbreviations when texting, but I sure do mind them in essays, on vocabulary quizzes, and in journal responses. I am sent over the edge regularly by something like the use of "cuz" or lower case "i" in formal writing... argh! When I text, I mostly use T9, so I don't have to abbreviate much. I actually enjoy getting texts from my students - their lingo fascinates me!

As far as the two spaces after a period... my department had a big discussion about that at the beginning of this year when we were revising some of our handouts for documentation. We ended up making a one page primer for students that includes how to format paper (MLA) and how to cite sources. We included the guideline of only one space after a period, but everyone in our department admitted they were personally having a very hard time breaking the habit. I am pretty sure I'm doing it now in this post - it's a tough habit to break, but one to which I will no doubt adapt.

Interesting thread!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #13  
Operator265

I'm sorry. I am probably being confusing. I worked a couple of days of overtime and I'm hitting the wall. I just got off the phone with my X and I kept dropping out of the conversation due to spacing out.

What got me started on this aggravation was a text I received from a co-worker. There was so much abbreviating and text language that I couldn't even understand it. I had to have him tell me what he meant when I ran into him after work.

I can't use text like you do, Gary. My family basically just uses it for leaving messages to me, I guess kind of like easy access Email. That's why I wonder if I'll ever be able to adjust. Then, I might be able to have conversations with my girls without the frustration.

I know a major part of my irritation with speaking in text is due to my problem with hearing certain tones, so letters become a problem. I can't always tell if someone said "B" or "G" and I don't have a the anagrams down pat, so it's hard for me to pick up the context. I didn't even know I was compensating for that problem until I had my hearing tested when I was in my late 20's. According to the doctor, I listen for context to fill in what I don't actually hear.

I'm going to bed now. Night, night.

Last edited by Operator265; 12-19-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:11 AM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm holding onto the "either is correct" rule for now on double-spaces. No way can I break the habit!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #15  

Quote:
Why are you always picking on me PhotoChick?
Uh .... you posted a grammatical error in a thread on grammatical errors. Is pointing that out with a smile picking on you?

Why are you singling me out in a thread where my comment was perfectly appropriate?