Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Angry Staying on plan while sick

I was really happy knowing that in January, I will have maintained 50 pounds lost...

...almost.

I've been having a series of illnesses lately. The drastically fluctuating climate (40 one day, 70 the next, 30, 50, who knows!!) mixed with the colds/bugs going around everywhere is really doing a number on my health.

When I'm sick, I feel incapicatated. I feel like someone or something just took the life out of me. All I want to do is sleep. I have been exercising little bits here and there, but for the most part, working out makes me feel worse. My eating has not been 100% on plan because I am trying to just eat things that make me feel better. Then, I find that food in GENERAL makes me feel better

Does anyone else struggle with staying on plan while sick? Does anyone have any good advice? Is anyone else sick right now and just wanting to rant? Go for it.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I have been struggling with my hormones lately because my incompetant gyn decided i needed a birth control pill with a higher dosage of hormones when i have been taking the low dose ones for two years at 50 pounds heavier than i am now. So i started taking the high dose pills a couple weeks ago, and they made me feel like poo...and i gained 6lbs in one weekend (which i assume was water weight). On tuesday i decided to stop taking them...so now i have a vicious hormonally imbalanced period, and a throat infection because my immune system is compromised. My point is that i ate pizza last night because i was too weak to do anything else...do i def. feel your pain.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Shane!

When sick I try to concentrate on good nutrition, and on protein. So, yeah, chicken soup is definitely in! And if your throat is sore, some fruit juice based ice pops aren't bad--not highly caloric. I tend to stay away from milk products if it's a cold or flu because they make me stuff up worse. Same is true for orange juice, oddly.

When you're sick isn't the time to worry about exercise, although some light activity may help--like going for a short walk if it's not too cold and rainy out. But if you don't feel like it, don't!

Mostly it's a time to lay low and give your body some nutrition to work with so you can get better. Being sick is hard on your bod!

get well soon!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #4  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Let's see...I've been sick for two weeks now and I've eaten Jamaican food, McDonald's twice, Taco Bell, Pizza, Italian cheeseburger, Dunkin Donuts...it's a struggle. Tomorrow, I hope to feel better. I haven't felt like cooking or going food shopping. That drive thru has been my friendly enemy...I'm done now. Time to get back on track. I can't lose these last 5lbs to save my life. Frustrating.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

hrm....when I'm sick, I don't feel like eating anything.

Remember that food isn't going to do anything but make you feel better emotionally...a big mac isn't going to boost your immune system and get rid of those bugs, in fact, a healthy diet will do more for your immune system than crappy food.

I find that when I'm sick, taking my vitamins really helps. I take my daily vitamins, plus drink Emergen-C and take extra zinc and b-vitamins. They give me energy which drives me to not just go to crappy convenience foods.

Feel better!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #6  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

I'm kinda sick right now too. Not to be gross but I ended up violently throwing up today and I'm not sure if it was because of something I ate and got food poisoning. I did end up throwing up the way I did 2 hours following eating a pre-packaged salad from the rest stop sbarros where I will be working. If that is the case it's not a good indication of good food handling practices going on in the kitchen and I'm not so sure about how I feel about continuing to work there. Yikes! Luckily I'm just supposed to work out on the floor cashiering.

It's either that or it's strep throat. I had my mom check the back of my throat and she said there is some yucky stuff back there. In my experience I've had episodes of violently throwning up from strep too. So right now I'm just gonna give it til morning to see if anything resolves or I may be trucking myself off to the doctor. Booo. No fun. I try to avoid it as much as possible because doctors just love to load you up on meds which I'm not a huge fan of seeing as I take enough on a daily basis. But if it is strep I just may have to go and get antibiotics because one of the last time I let it go it ended up getting worse and I had scarlet fever. Random I know. When I told most people they were like "I thought that was erradicated?" and I said "Well evidently not if I have it" haha. I love my life???

Hope everyone who's feeling sick feels better soon!!!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

chicken soup makes everyone feel better when they're sick, right? Plus, there's a lot worse things you could eat while your sick- all the liquid will help fill you up. I drink diet sprite when I have a cold too- there's lots of carbonation, so it helps clear you up a bit, and fill you up.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #8  
Workin' It

I've been sick off and on for the last six weeks... Really bad for about three weeks, just general crud, congestion, tired, irritable for the last three. I didn't feel like staying on plan either - I only went over calories a few days, but even on days within calorie limits I have found myself eating as much as 20% of my daily total in sugary coffee, candy, dessert, junk foody crap. I stopped weight training, I slacked on the exercise. I started seeing the 'squishier around the middle' results about a week and a half ago. Started weight training again last Monday, so coming back up. Slowly. Now I just have to kick the food back to the curb...

I found during the worst part of the sick that small amounts of light yoga or slow cycling on the stationary bike for just a few minutes helped to stretch out my stiff muscles. Other than that, I didn't exercise much during the worst of it. Once I started to get better I've worked on bringing that back up.

Take care of yourself, recover fully, then get back up and around after the first of the year. You have worked really hard this year, a little recovery time isn't going to undo all of that!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I struggle very much while being sick. I want comfort food when I'm sick. I drink juice which is high in calories. I want ice cream to sooth my sore throat.

I hope you feel better soon!!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
hrm....when I'm sick, I don't feel like eating anything.

Remember that food isn't going to do anything but make you feel better emotionally...a big mac isn't going to boost your immune system and get rid of those bugs, in fact, a healthy diet will do more for your immune system than crappy food.

I find that when I'm sick, taking my vitamins really helps. I take my daily vitamins, plus drink Emergen-C and take extra zinc and b-vitamins. They give me energy which drives me to not just go to crappy convenience foods.

Feel better!

Words to live by!

I am sicker than I have been in quite sometime (nasty cold going around) and while I can't workout a lot, I can continue to eat well to take care of myself.

I spent Sunday eating just about everything I could get my hands on (casserole, sesame sticks, christmas candy) just trying to feel better before I realized it was making me feel worse. When Monday morning rolled around I got back on my plan and made a "sick soup", and am feeling much better.

It's easy to take to bed with whatever comfort food you can get, but taking the steps to do right by your body will get you up and running much sooner.

And I second the vitamins and Emergen-C. Whoever invented that deserves a Nobel Prize.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #11  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hey Night,
Just Sending Some Healthy Vibes Your Way! Sounds Like Your Body Needs Rest, So Give It Rest & Some Tlc. Comfort Foods Like Chicken Soup With A Side Of Chocolate Help Me When I Feel Like I Was Run Over By A Mac Truck!

You'll Bounce Back To Your Routine & Healthier Ways When You Feel Better & Stronger. No Worries Chicka, I Doubt You'll Do Much Permanent Damage. I Heard A Lot Of Mono Is Going Around, Hope You Don't Have That?
Take Care & Hope Your Bug Free Soon....
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #12  
Workin' It

be careful doing a lot of Emergen-C in one day - I overdid it and had some uncomfortable tummy side effects...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #13  

DUDE! Wendalyn, I think I might have mono. I have all the symptoms and have experienced extreme fatigue for quite some time. I understand that is the first thing. I have swollen glands, a whopping cough, and now, no voice. I'm definitely not coming into work today.

I am seeing the doctor today to find out for sure. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired... but EXCITED at the thought of feeling better!

And oh... Shannon... I know all about the side effects of too much EmergenC. Been there, done that.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #14  

Update: I don't have mono. Strangely enough, I just have a yeast infection in my throat. My lungs are perfectly clear and everything else is fine. My voice is almost back and I think I will probably be able to start exercising again (in a hardcore sort of way - I am doing a little bit of cardio here and there, but I normally do much more) tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #15  
~*one step at a time*~

S/C/G: 181/176.5/140

Height: 5`3"

YES!! It's such a struggle..that's how I regained all this weight to begin with..if that's enough to scare you to eat healthy LOL. I lost 33lbs and was still going about five years ago and I got sick with a sinus infection, a bad one, for about a month. Couldn't shake it. Working out was not an option for the reasons you said yourself, and I was too sick to care what I ate..I probably would have been fine had I gotten right back on the horse when I felt better but "tomorrow" turned into "next week" and then it was "never..." Don't beat yourself up too much! Just don't go too crazy and make sure to be good again when you feel better! Sorry you're so sick! I keep waitin to get hit by those nasty bugs floating around..
Hellsangel is offline   Reply With Quote