Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #1  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Wink Too soon for celebration?

Okay, so it's nearing the end of my 3rd day, & just out of curiosity I weighed myself about an hour ago..

Now, I know it's probably a bit premature for celebration, but I was ecstatic to see the scale say something different than 204.8 - 206.
I do understand that weight fluctuates, but I really want to feel excited about weighing in at 202.6 today! I think you're typically supposed to weigh in every week or so, but I just couldn't wait to see if anything I was doing (eating better, working out) was having an effect. Do you think I've just set myself up for disappointment, & that I'll see that weight go back up again? Please, any thoughts on this! I really couldn't stop myself from checking, even though it's probably too soon to tell.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I weigh every day and chart it...my rule is usually that if the number sticks two mornings in a row, I view it as "real". However, recognize that all kinds of things will make your weight fluctuate up and down...a lot. My weight is generally 2 pounds more in the evening than it is when I wake up, it is always 2 to 3 pounds up the week before my period, a couple pounds up the day I ovulate, etc., etc. Even too much sodium in a meal can do it as it causes your body to retain water. It is the "trend" that matters...not the day to day weigh-ins.

Regardless, congratulations on getting started! It is always fun to see our hard work reflected in the weigh-ins.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yay for you!

Now, the real danger in seeing that low number is that you'll slack off on your plan... so don't do that! Stick with it and then when your official day comes around you won't have to worry!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I weigh every day, I like to see the trends. Especially now that my loss is slow, weighing only weekly or less would probably leave me worried a lot, just because one week I happened to weigh at a high point, making it look like I gained. I always count each new weight as soon as I reach it. It just stresses me out more to worry about when it "counts." It counts the first time I reach it, damn it! And yes, I know I'm going to see myself weigh more again. It always fluctuates around. But I KNOW I'm not gaining actual fat, so worrying about whether the fluctuations mean a previous weight didn't "count" just feels like playing painful games to me. I just focus on reaching the next new lowest weight
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I also weigh everyday, track the trends, and consider a number real if it sticks 2 days in a row.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

My motto has always been, "if i see it, then it must be it." So, congrats that you saw a lower number. Will it be the same tomorrow?? Who knows. Depends on what you eat or drink today. If you work out your muscles or not today. Your body could hold onto water tomorrow if you are sore or don't drink enough today to flush out sodium. If you don't go poo today, you could be up a little tomorrow...but don't sweat it. You see the number today...and that is a cause for celebration!!! Enjoy it!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Exactly what Schumeany said.

Congrats on the loss. Every little bit helps!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My motto has always been, "if i see it, then it must be it."

ROFL...exactly!

I weigh three times in a row and that is the weight I take for the day. My scale only measures by pound or 1/2 pound.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-18-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #9  
Workin' It

Never too soon to be proud of an accomplishment, and starting the weight loss journey is definitely an accomplishment!

Congrats on the loss, and even if it doesn't stick right away, congrats on starting the new lifestyle!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There is nothing wrong with weighing every single day as long as you are AWARE of the everyday normal fluctuations and don't let them get to you. In fact, I think it's a good part of one's morning routine. And just another reminder that what we eat has consequences. Keeping track of ones weight, it keeping track of ones health. And IMO - that's a good thing.

Of course we are all different and have to find what works best for each of us.

Congrats on making the change to a healthier lifestyle and your weight loss thus far. WTG!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote