Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Default ? about hummus

I just whipped up a small batch of homemade hummus and wondered how long it keeps in the fridge?

I used:
1 can of garbanzos
a splash of olive oil
garlic salt &
lemon juice

not bad but not as good as the stuff I buy from Trader Joe's.

any suggestions on how to make it yummier????
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You need tahini (sesame butter) for that characteristic hummus taste.

I always like to add cumin.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

azmom, my recipe is similar to yours and for the price difference I will take the homemade anytime!

Mine is safe for a week--it usually doesn't last that long here though

ETA: I found a great recipe online for chick pea burgers..they are fantastic

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-17-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #4  

hmmmmm...where do you buy tahini? Does it add alot more fat?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My experience with hummus is that it keeps longer than you want to eat it. By that I mean that it seems to pick up an off flavor from the fridge or from oxidation long before it goes "bad," so for me "as long as it tastes good" works pretty well for timing. To help it last longer, don't just cover the bowl with plastic wrap, but push the plastic wrap down until it touches the entire surface of the hummus. By removing all the air space, it stays fresh tasting longer and stays moist.

Tahini does add fat, but you don't have to add much. Some folks use peanut butter or a drop or two of sesame oil instead.

I make tons of bean pastes using other beans and other seasonings, and they're all good too. One that's sounds weird, but is really good is to buy a can of vegetarian baked beans or barbecued beans (you can use pork and beans, but you'll want to remove the fat cube). I pour off a little of the liquid, but don't drain and then whip in a food processor with a little onion, or dehydrated onion or onion powder. It's my standard "last minute invite to a pot luck" recipe. Then on the way to the pot luck, we'll pick up a bag of baked tortilla chips (I'm always asked for the recipe, and I always get really weird looks when I tell them what it is).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #6  
it's always something

Tahini really makes it, just watch your portions. I add roasted red bell peppers to mine.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

I peel the garbanzo beans. Tedious, but oh so worth it. Fresh lemon juice a must; tahini paste, tad of olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper, dash of paprika.
I did try using peanut butter when out of tahini and NO! I thin it down with a little of the garbanzo bean liquid. Wish I had some made up now.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yeah hummus doesn't last long enough for me to know how long it lasts in the fridge.

I generally don't put tahini in mine most of hte time (although when you do, it definitely adds a richness). I do put lots of garlic in mine. Probably enough that you don't want to be near me after I eat it.

Oh, and I noticed you said you used garlic salt? Ditch that and use WHOLE GARLIC CLOVES. Seriously. There is no way that garlic salt is any kind of substitute for whole cloves. Even if you just use one instead of the 3 I usually use *grin* ... use fresh whole garlic. I promise you that will make a HUGE difference.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-17-2008 at 10:42 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Tahini is the same thing as peanut butter, but made with sesame seeds instead of peanuts. My sister picked me up a jar from a middle eastern store, but I'm sure some supermarkets have it. I've had it forever, and it hasn't gone bad.

My recipe:

1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
6T water
3T lemon juice
2T tahini
1T extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
pinch of cayenne
salt

and I usually add, say, 1t cumin

1/4c = 100 calories, 5g fat, 10g carb, 3g fiber, 4g protein
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #10  
No description available.

I use real garlic too and I skip the tahini, but I don't miss the tahini.

Mmmm, hummus.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #11  

If I use cloves of garlic instead of garlic salt my husband won't come near me!

Why is it that some people are more sensitive to garlic and onion odors than others???
Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

For me, garlic really makes the difference. Have you tried roasting the garlic? It'll make the flavor more subtle. I rather my husband not come near me than skip out on garlic

Also I love tahini, its a good fat. You can find it in a lot of stores near the peanut butter. Trader Joes may have it as well.

I can also tell you Trader Joes uses real garlic cloves in theirs. And no store bought hummus can compare to good homemade hummus, at least I don't think so.

Last edited by nelie; 12-18-2008 at 12:11 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
My experience with hummus is that it keeps longer than you want to eat it. By that I mean that it seems to pick up an off flavor from the fridge or from oxidation long before it goes "bad," so for me "as long as it tastes good" works pretty well for timing. To help it last longer, don't just cover the bowl with plastic wrap, but push the plastic wrap down until it touches the entire surface of the hummus. By removing all the air space, it stays fresh tasting longer and stays moist.

Tahini does add fat, but you don't have to add much. Some folks use peanut butter or a drop or two of sesame oil instead.

I make tons of bean pastes using other beans and other seasonings, and they're all good too. One that's sounds weird, but is really good is to buy a can of vegetarian baked beans or barbecued beans (you can use pork and beans, but you'll want to remove the fat cube). I pour off a little of the liquid, but don't drain and then whip in a food processor with a little onion, or dehydrated onion or onion powder. It's my standard "last minute invite to a pot luck" recipe. Then on the way to the pot luck, we'll pick up a bag of baked tortilla chips (I'm always asked for the recipe, and I always get really weird looks when I tell them what it is).
Yes, I have been whipping up creations of my own. I will do something similar to your recipe only I wash my beans in a strainer and pat them dry. After putting everything through the processor, I dredge it in the tiniest bit of flour and fry it w/nonfat cooking spray. It has really proven to be a low cost and tasty alternative to all the meat I was eating. For my hubby, I place his patty onto a bun with all the fixings. I go bunless and just focus on the yummy fixings.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-18-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Mmm, those sound really good. I'll have to try that.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #15  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmom View Post
hmmmmm...where do you buy tahini? Does it add alot more fat?
My Trader Joe's sells it. It comes in a tub and is in the section as the hummus (actually on the same shelf, just a few shelves down). Otherwise, it can be a little hard to find. If you have any middle eastern grocery stores, they will most certainly carry it.

You can make your own by toasting sesame seeds until they are lightly browned, then running them through a food processor with a little olive oil until they form a paste.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote