Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy No idea what's up with my body- advice?

I like to think that I've learned a lot about losing weight over the past few months, but there are times when my body does things that I just don't understand. Like the past few weeks.

I was 236 on December 4, and almost two weeks later, I'm still the same weight. I've been fluctuating between 237 and 234, but I think that's just your average water/etc fluxes.

I really have no idea what's wrong. For the last four months, I have steadily lost 2 pounds or more each week (with the exception of the week before TOM, during which I'm stable, then lose double during TOM).

I'm a calorie counter, and nothing has changed at all about my diet. I'm still calorie cycling, and eating anywhere from 1300-1700, depending on the day.

Exercise isn't really in my vocab yet- I try to move around a bit more, but not enough to really burn significant calories or anything. Nothings really changed.

I even tried taking caffeine, to see if the problem was just long-lasting stubborn water weight. If so, it's not going anywhere with a diuretic- made no difference.

Oh, and my scale's working fine, I weighed myself elsewhere today.

Please, anyone have any advice? I'm so tired of seeing the number 236, I could kill my scale.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #2  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

WOW~HAVE NO CLUE. Seems like you are doing everything right.Maybe you should kill the scale and buy a new one!

Last edited by Lori259; 12-17-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #3  

I wish I could kill my scale...slowly and painfully. I actually bought a new one earlier (last week), but it said the same thing as my old one, so I figured it was still good for a while and returned the new one.

You know, I'd say to heck with the whole thing- how I feel is better than what the scale says, but my measurements aren't changing either.

Last edited by kelly315; 12-17-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #4  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

Oh ok you said the scale was working fine hmmmm. IM LOST!
Walk 20 mintues 3 times a day in you house/apartment/It helps.I hate excercise But this is a beginner one I am doing SUCKS THOUGH LOL!.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Here's the thing...and I'm thinking you're not going to like it.

Two weeks is nothing. That's a mere blip on the timeline of weight loss. Sure, most weeks we can count on losing something, but a two week break isn't even a stall or a plateau...it's just a blip.

Keep going at the same rate for another 2 weeks. Still no loss? Try dropping your calories by 100-200 a day. If nothing happens after 2 weeks of that, we can try other plateau-busting strategies...but even if this IS the start of a brutal plateau, you just have to keep going until it breaks.

So keep doing what you're doing, wait another two weeks, and see what happens, then consider re-evaluating your calorie level.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

mandalinn82 said it best.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 12-17-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #7  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

I had the exact thing happen to me about a week ago. I was stuck between 135 and 137 for about three weeks straight, despite the fact that I'd been extremely conscious about counting calories, drinking water, etc. In the end I just stuck it out, as frustrating as it was...until one day I suddenly realized I felt a bit thinner. When I stepped on the scale, it said "132.4".

Go figure...I had completely bypassed about 3 pounds, which was amazing to see. The next day I weighed in at 131.8!

I think this is just one of those things where you have to stay dedicated and tough it out, because you definitely aren't a freak of nature. Cutting calories WILL garuntee weight loss, I promise you that. Who knows what the heck our bodies are thinking. Maybe our cells are airing our thoughts on some short of bodily MTV channel, laughing their little mitochondrea into obvlivion as our brains get PUNKED.

Hey, you never know.

~Laura~
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Kelly - a few things ...

One is that in some ways it's unfortunate that your weight loss has been so regular and consistent, because when you hit a stall, it can be the thing that throws you over the edge and makes you quit.

Two: You've lost a little over 50 lbs and that's a LOT. It's entirely possible that your body needs a little bit to adjust to that. Many of us have hit sort of set points after a significant amount of weight and at that point our bodies kind of take a break from losing for a bit. Sometimes just taking a couple of weeks to "maintain" and then kicking back into gear really helps break that stall.

Three: You might be at a stage where you need to mix up your calories more. I know cycling is supposed to keep your body from adapting to the routine, but after a while your body does get used to a reduced amoutn of calories. This kind of links back to #2 above ... mix things up a bit more. Do a little maintenance for a while. Look at WHAT you're eating ... maybe add more protein or swap around your carbs or something.

Four: Exercise *will* make a difference for you. I know a lot of people will say you can lose w/out exercise and I'm sure there are people who can. I personally CANNOT. My metabolism is so screwed up from years of dieting, that if I don't exercise, I just don't lose. And I lose faster and more efficiently when I'm good about working out.

Honestly if it were me, I'd add in some regular exercise - even brisk walking every day - and contine with your current eating plan.

And allow yourself a few weeks before you freak out too much. If your body needs time to adjust to being a new weight, a few weeks in the grand scheme of things is not the end of the world!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

Two weeks is nothing. That's a mere blip on the timeline of weight loss. Sure, most weeks we can count on losing something, but a two week break isn't even a stall or a plateau...it's just a blip.
I know you're right, and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I think I need distractions from my weight loss, because the time is seeming to drag, especially with the scale staying the same. I'm on vacation from school right now, and being bored and restless doesn't help.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Oh, and what Manda said. Which goes back to my #1. Sometimes your body just does what it's going to do and there's no reason for it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #11  

Thank all of you for your responses! It's been very helpful, and I feel like your perspectives have lessened my frustration a bit.

And don't worry- I'm not going to give up! (Not in this lifetime!)
Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #12  

photochick and mandalinn- I'm so glad you both responded to this. Every time I see posts from you around the sight they are always detailed, well thought-out, and insightful. I'm so glad you're here to help us!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Time to EXERCISE
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh no Kelly. You're not making a mountain out of a molehill. If this concerns you, then it's a real worry. This is the kind of thing that does send you for a loop. But you did the right thing by coming here and posting.
I've got no new advice. All I wanted to say was that you did exactly right by asking for support.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

I am agree whit the exercise , I think you should star doing i little exercise maybe 30 min 2 times a week . That is helping me ....
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote