Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia # 179

Hope this works
Old 12-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #2  

Yesterday's post got lost. hey Anne-can you get a sticky on yhis?
Wow-3 days of therapy and I walked with no pain-the boot helps too. I wear it during the day.
I finally got some shoes at Goodwill to put my orthotics in for dress.
What an ice storm back home. Angela called in the morning quite upset. but she could go to her sister's . Bobby and Pam and friends went to a hotel and Ct was spared. We haven't heard from Dennis. My brother has a generator,
We are taking Evan and Alison to the Christmas Pageant at church-the first half is like a Broadway show-the second part is the Resurrection/What can I say-we are Baptists.
We foind out that we can order Brad;s diabetic suppies from a company-Walmart said we had to pay.
Bue for now-Mima
Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #3  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody- I don't have a lot to post ,but, I guess if I don't I won't get your posts..
I am still really busy trying to finish up the the gifts I am making..
My sisters companion died this past week so I will have to put aside to go to that memorial.. I didn't care for him ,but, he was her choise.. I will go for her sake.
Our brother from AZ. will come down .Her companions sons will come from NY and VA. They were not there when he passed.Now I guess we will see how much hits the fan.. I am going to step way back..
My daughter and her family will be here for Christmas as will our son and his wifes family. We will quiet a crowd. Hopefully I will have a lot of help.. You never know.
I like walmart but they are like everyone else. Out for the money and I find a lot of times won't give out helpful advice.. Our meds cost over 500 a month. They make their share of profit from me..
Hope everyone is having a good weekend...Joanne
Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #4  

Mima glad you are getting foot relief..If I just stay off of mine it feels better.

Joanne..does your family stay with you? Hope the funeral goes well for your sis's sake.

Got more gifts wrapped but need top get to bed, really windy here so noisey but no ice untill Sunday night.

Hey Kate, Happy and Meme.......
Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning everyone! Another chilly day in the sunshine state and it's cloudy too. Somewhere in the 60's for temps. Where is all this warmth and sunshine we usually have?? Entertaining guests again this weekend but this time I will be delegating supplies for the grilled pizza party. I'll make the whole wheat crusts and caramelized onions, someone can bring the cheeses and toppings, and someone can make a large salad. BYOB too. Finally finished cookies and distributed them so I can relax for a bit. And yahoo! Hubby goes back on days next week so we can live a more normal life for at least a week.....finally will get some sleep! Now I need a good fudge recipe....anyone? Joanne, sounds like a disaster heading your way with the family of your sister's companion coming to town. All I can say is I have seen some disturbing issues before with family passings and the best advice is to duck and stay low! I have only a sister left up north who just moved back to our hometown from California. She lived in the sonoma valley area for 25 years and decided to move "back home" to be closer to her two adult kids. I won't get into that though, as I feel the same way about those two as Joanne does about her sister's companion....Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their family and friends. Will check back later.
Kate
Old 12-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #6  

Hi. Sorry to be away for so long, but had a lot of working to do this past week. On Thursday, I hurt my darn back, so am having trouble sitting, laying, standing for long. Ended up sleeping in my recliner for a few hours last night. That seems to be the most comfortable. Great support in that chair for the lower back.

Mima - glad your foot feels better. I had tried acupuncture for that, and it hurt so badly and didn't seem to do much. I finally bought some Orthodics, that the Dr. wrote me a precription for. They were $50.00 and he told me they did just as much good as the expensive ones you have made. In any case, it worked and I haven't had any problem with it since. Hope it stays that way, because it was very painful.

Candice - glad you are getting done, but you really need to start sleeping more regular hours.

Joanne - sounds like you will have a housefull for Christmas. Too bad about your sister losing her partner and especially at this time of year. That's tough. Hope all goes well.

Tammy - are you gone yet? and if not, when do you leave.

Kate - here is a simple recipe for fudge. I nabbed it off the net, and a friend of mine made it and said it was easy, fast and delicious. What more could a person want?

Do you go to pot-lucks ? Do you have a few people you would like to give a small
gift to over the holidays ? Do you like good (BUT VERY EASY) things ? Have I
got a treat for you. This little fudge recipe is great -- and delicious -- best of all it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy !!!! You will be a hit and well, just give it a try -- You'll see whay I'm raving. I use Snicker bars -- but you can use your own favorite chocolate bar.

Ingredients
1 can sweetened condensed milk
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Snickers, or Milky Way candy bars, cut into chunks
Microwave together and pour into 9x9 buttered dish.

Directions
Microwave chocolate and milk on high for two minutes.
After one minute stir to keep from burning

It is snowing and blowing and downright cold here. Tomorrow the high for the day will be -27C so it is almost 30 below zero, which it will be during the night. Going to stay cold until the 24 Dec., and then it will get up to 0C (32F). So, we will have a white, warm, Christmas.

Got to get up from this computer and put some heat on my back. Just had ice on it for 20 minutes.

Have a good day.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #7  

Default Hey There

Candice- The only ones staying with me will be my daughter and her hubby and my G /daughter.. The others live close by and will just come for a few hours and of course to eat.
Kate- I hope the service for my sisters companion will go fine.. I plan to just leave if there is any problems..I have heard that the sons and their family are something to deal with..I don't need any of that..There will be plenty of other members of the family there to handle whatever happens..
Hello Everybody
Joanne
Old 12-14-2008, 04:46 AM   #8  

Funer als are difficult=its easier when people have faith-its easier to put everything in perspective. Suzanne had to go to a service yesterday-the daighter of the dj she had that Jim was close to got killed. Hope it goes well for you Joanne.
Oh Anne-your poor back-it seems that it happens once in a while to any of us. Love that fudge recipe-I may try it. But nor give it to Brad.
Medicare pays for diabetic supplies but I think you have yo go through a supplier.
Our house back home has no elec and there are trees down but they didn't hurt anything except fall on the mailbox which Dennis thinks the repair people will take care of. Bobby and Angela got their electric back.
We went to the Christmas pageant. Evan was good-he took a nap during the second part, I cried because there was a story about a soldier coming home and then Pastor sang I'll be home for Christmas-Alison and I were thinking of Jim and Al's best friend is also in Afghanistan.But the whole show was awesome.
I ahve an appt everyday next week. But foot was good yesterday-hurts today. Have a great Sunday.Mima
Old 12-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 224/224/160

I'm going to the doctor soon because I believe I have fibromyalgia, I'm 47 and I'm in pain all the time , I know the extra weight needs to go but I'm to young to feel this old can anyone give me some pointers on how keep the pain level down
Old 12-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #10  

Default Hey There

Texas2lip- Welcome- The best advice I can give is go to a good Dr. and get a diagnosis. Then work on your weight. There are some good support groups like Tops or Weight Watchers.. I have been to both and they are good..
Mima- You are right.. I just am anxious about this one.. His sons have been at odds with my sister ever since they got together..I think they think she is going to take something from them..If she does get something ,she deserves it.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #11  

I ment to get back here and post but fell asleep watching a movie on TBS...then got up and worked some more and then went and layed down in the master bedroom and fell asleep again..ahhh..some much needed rest! Happy aren't ya glad!LOL I know I gotta do better but doing these hoidays it is very hard! The past 3 years have been very hard!!!!!!!!

Weather permitting I go to the new internist Tuesday at 9 AM for bloodwork and to see if I really need a neurologist. DH is supposed to take me since the weather is icy.

DH proceeds to tell me the snowman blew over and the lights were not working, so he brought him in. He cannot fix anything! So it is 10pm and freezing cold raining and windy and I am working on the outside lights and putting the snowman back out. My hair is matted to my head!LOL (wet wet wet) Seems the light problems is due to an overload (the way the hosue is wired) so I had to figure out how to run the cords to diff outlets....... there are only a few and the new one we added is the problem. It was run off of another room in the hosue that we thought we would not be using but that is where my computer is set up right now .... will have to figure this one out later but for now everything is working but two bushes.....with ice coming not sure if they will ever get fixed..I am waiting for the wind to die down and the rain to take a break, and then I might go check them again.

Happy fudge sounds good...do you microwave it all at once..everything in the recipe or do add stuff at different times? Does have to be stored inthe fridg also?

I want to make something in the oven..just gotta find stuff

Mima...he ordered me the expensive orthotics....is that what you have? Sounds like Happy got off cheap. How can you wear shoes form G will? I would think you need new ones to fit right. I have a very hard foot to fit.

Joanne..good luck, hope your daughter helps you out and you can enjoy here stay.

Kate....what kind of wheat crust do yo make? Have fun

Tex...get a diagnosis or just keep stretching, moving, resting and eating better.....for now.....heat is helpful too fopr me.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #12  

The shoes work-they were Naturalizers. They just needed to be big enough for the orthotics.
Candice=Christmas is not just ornaments and lights. Watch the Nativity . Focus on the why of Christmas. Sorry about the preaching but I would like to see you not get anxious .
Well-Westminster is a huge mess-there will not be power for days=we have been talking to people. At least it will be warm-we may have to go home if the pipes freeze but the we have been fortunate do far. Brad keeps talking about selling the house and I keep listening.
we went to lunch with our friends after church. Don't go to a restaurant in the mall during Christmas =Brad couldn't find a place to park for a while.
But we had a nice time.
PT is in the afternoon which is nice,
Texas-nice of you to stop by=you need a good rheumotologist to diagnose, If you are not sleping well , he can help. And don't give in to it-Try some swimming at the Y-they have arthritis classes. And WW is very good. Hope you feel better. Bye Mima
Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #13  

Happy How big are the candy bars? I made it and used leftover Halloween candy bars I had in the freezer...but did not know how many....threw a bunch in!

the ice storm came before I could back out check the 2 bushes so they remain unlit..........

Mima..I'm not stressed out about the lights and stuff(well not totally)....this move has been so difficult for me and can't find anything, I like the decorating outside if it's not too cold out....but really I have to do everything around here, It gets old! DH is not good for much handyman work, he's a salesman...............he likes running after work with his friend and to get massages and stuff and here I sit, which I do not mind staying at home but he could show up and help me with stuff. He does not even want to try and learn anything to help me, says hire someone to help me.....duh...you can't find anyone when you need them. The girl that comes once in awhile to help me has not been here due to bad weather. Tha's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Last edited by Candicej; 12-15-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning everyone! Another cloudy but warm day here in Florida. Warm weather due next few days....definitely not feeling like Christmas!
Hi Texas2slip....I was diagnosed by an Osteopathic doctor who was also an internist. Some people use Rheumatologists and some just a family PC. There are up to 11 or 12 "trigger points" that they test for sensitivity to determine a FM diagnosis along with other contributing factors such as sleep patterns, digestive health and pain levels. They may also do a sediment rate with a blood test. There is no definite single symptom but rather combinations of them which help with the determination. For pain management....good luck! Different strokes for different folks. My sanity and pain control comes from medication such as tramadol and ibuprofen. Others have good results with Lyrica and sometimes Cymbalta if there is depression involved. It's a matter of trial and error to find what works best for each individual. One thing is common among all FM people and that is as Mima said....don't give in to it. Stay as active as you can. It can be immobilizing if you let it take over so stay stretched and active as much as possible. There is an excellent web site for support of Fibromyalgia called http://www.fmaware.org. Good luck.

Candice, thanks for the fudge recipe. I did two batches using the following:

1 can evaporated milk
4C sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 pound butter
18 oz. semi sweet chocolate drops
1 oz. bittersweet chocolate drops
1C chopped walnuts
1 15 oz. jar marshmellow fluff

And yes, mine does need to be stored in the fridge to keep the consistency correct but it tastes wonderful!! It also needs to be cooked about 7 minutes at a rolling boil. Yep, I had a couple of pieces Guess the scale won't be moving this week! And today I am making a batch of Butter Crunch! I found these great little Christmas tins at the Dollar Tree store and I am filling them up and giving them out. Need to get housework done this week as well. Now that hubby is working days, I can vacuumn and make lots of noise! Hope everyone is enjoying their day....Kate

Last edited by Kate53; 12-15-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #15  

Hello again. I post then I disappear. Christmas is hitting me much harder than I expected.

I went back to the other thread and wrote down some notes to make comments about. Then I read the new posts.

Kate, I used to do lots of decorating at the house we lived in before. I always had at least 8 trees lit and decorated. This place is too small for all of that, but next year I do plan to have more up than I do this year. I put up my ceramic tree, and I put Tim's 2-ft. tree in his bedroom. Loved the gingerbread lighthouse! Tim collects lighthouses. How can you live 1 1/2 hours from Disney and not be there all the time????? lol Guess who is a Disney fan?? Epcot is my favorite of the parks. It was 57 when I got up this morning, and just a short while ago it had dropped to 27!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mima, I read about that orange cake, and now I would like a piece. Glad you got those Gaither tickets. I know how much you enjoy them. Hope things are ok with the house back home.

Anne, I read your 12/3/08 message and it said you haven't had snow! WOw! We've had small amounts several times. Let us know how WW goes for you. I fell asleep in the recliner earlier today, and I slept for almost 3 hours! I must have been comfy too. I am going away this weekend with my best friends to the b&b we go to every December. We are going to be part of a Nativity scene in the little town! I want to be the angel!! Tim and I leave on Monday, and we'll be home Jan. 3. I am planning to take the laptop with me. That recipe sounds super yummy!!

Joanne, sorry to hear about the ulcer and the low blood. Take care of yourself. How cool that you are quilting a pillow for your daughter! I think I'll just come over on Christmas and join you and your family. Sorry to hear about your sister's companion. It's not Eleni, is it??

Candice, I had a shot in my heel several years ago, and I went back to work the next day. Had no problems.

Texas, welcome to the group! I was diagnosed at age 49, and I felt ancient at the time. I don't feel like a spring chicken now, but I feel better than I did 4 years ago because of the meds and exercise that I've been able to do. I have been doing water aerobics for about 3 years, and that has helped.

Bob and I belonged to the Eagles lodge here in town. Since he passed away, I go up there sometimes and just watch tv and chat with the bartenders (all women) and others that come in. Tonight is a Christmas party for the women's auxiliary, and I am going.
Closed Thread